Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Help/Advice (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=925)

Greg Sharp 11-29-2009 11:27 AM

Help/Advice

Hello all. I'm new here and I can use some advice on what I can/should do with my Parker gun. It's a VH, 12ga, 2 frame with 30" barrels. According to the serial #149982, it was mfg'd in 1909. My ex bought it for me some years ago as a "project gun". Broken stock, Some rust, case colors worn and minor pitting in barrels close to the reciever. It is mechanically sound. I wish I had the ability to post pictures but I dont; I know that might help. I had a friend who "knew a guy" who did very good restoration work. He restocked it with xxx fancy walnut and hand checkered it, I definatly wasn't expecting that! I hadn't asked for it but he charged me the same as he quoted for the field grade wood. I know that that grade of wood is inapropriate for that grade of gun; does that hurt it's value? He re-did the case colors beautifully and parkerized the barrels. Here's the problem: after taking it hunting a few times with modestly high pressure handloads I noticed a slight bulging in the right barrel. I took it into see a very respected gunsmith, he told me that the barrels were "riddled", had thin spots, and couldn't be shot safely. Of course I went through the roof that "this guy" either couldn't or didn't tell me about this problem before I sunk the money into it.If I had known before hand I obviously would have had the choice of weather or not I wanted to incur the cost of re-barrling or send the "project" off to someone who was so inclined. I'm not really sure what I should do with it at this point. I'd like to hunt with it but I'm not inclined to absorb the cost of re-barreling it. Originally my plan was to have it as a shooter and when my son became old enough to pass it on to him. Unfortunatly I lost my son a couple of years ago and I'm sure that my daughters would have no interest in it. Are there people out there who would be interested in such a piece? It's way too pretty to just hang-up over the fireplace....it was made to be in the field. Any advice you could give me would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Bill Bolyard 11-29-2009 01:03 PM

Greg,

You could buy a set of Briley tubes and shoot 20ga shells safely in the gun.
just a thought.

Bill

Greg Sharp 11-29-2009 02:07 PM

Thanks Bill,

Any idea how much weight that would add?

Marc Retallack 11-29-2009 02:18 PM

Greg

Briley's ( www.briley.com ) info states 10-15oz. depending on several factors. They also are not steel compatible if that is a consideration for you.

Cheers
Marcus

Greg Sharp 11-29-2009 10:15 PM

That's a great idea! I've been away from shotgunning for a while and I'd forgotton all about Briley. That reminds me that I've got an older Ruger Red Lable that I wanted to put choke tubes in. Thanks a lot for the reminder.

Greg

Ray Masciarella 12-04-2009 11:14 AM

If you really want to spend money, you can have Teague reline the barrels and maintain the 12 ga bore size. About 3k tho.

Ray