Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Finally -- a Straight Grip! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26618)

Garry L Gordon 02-23-2019 10:13 PM

Finally -- a Straight Grip!

5 Attachment(s)
I finally found an original straight grip hammer gun (that fit my existing budget!). Everything appears original, except maybe some added stock finish over time. Nicely choked by my gauge, this will be with me in the dove field come September. I'll order a letter, but can anyone tell the grade from these few pictures -- grade 0? 1?

Dean Romig 02-23-2019 11:10 PM

The Twist barrels and simple straight line engraving identify it as a 0-Grade.

The only thing that skews that being a 0-Grade is the Grade-1 or 2 style of evgraving on the top lever. Hard to explain that one...

Garry L Gordon 02-23-2019 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 266980)
The Twist barrels and simple straight line engraving identify it as a 0-Grade.

The only thing that skews that being a 0-Grade is the Grade-1 or 2 style of evgraving on the top lever. Hard to explain that one...

Thanks!! Do you think the top lever could be a replacement? The serial number dates the gun to 1886. The serialization book has it listed as "PT," so I assumed an O grade, but looking at the various pictures and descriptions of the two grades, I was confused (not an unusual state for me).

Jay Oliver 02-24-2019 12:57 PM

That's a nice hammer gun! I usually always prefer straight grips over pistol grips. Though I have more pistol grip guns. My only straight grip Top Action hammer gun is in 10 gauge.

As Dean mentioned the lever on yours has more engraving that a typical zero grade, but that wouldn't necessarily mean it is a replacement. And if it was at least it was an upgrade of sorts...

Anyway, nice gun and you have me wanting to look for one for my collection :)

Garry L Gordon 02-24-2019 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Oliver (Post 267010)
That's a nice hammer gun! I usually always prefer straight grips over pistol grips. Though I have more pistol grip guns. My only straight grip Top Action hammer gun is in 10 gauge.

As Dean mentioned the lever on yours has more engraving that a typical zero grade, but that wouldn't necessarily mean it is a replacement. And if it was at least it was an upgrade of sorts...

Anyway, nice gun and you have me wanting to look for one for my collection :)

Thanks, Jay. I also prefer the straight/splinter configuration. It was nice to finally find one that I could use.

CraigThompson 02-24-2019 07:32 PM

Out of my somewhat modest accumulation of Parker’s I only have two with straight grips . An 1881 lifter and an 1883 top lever . Both are Grade 0 and both are 10 gauge .

Harold Lee Pickens 02-24-2019 07:39 PM

A wonderful gun Gary, what are the other particulars about it, the barrel Lance weight, chokes excetera. Looks like it would make a great dove gun

Garry L Gordon 02-24-2019 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Lee Pickens (Post 267053)
A wonderful gun Gary, what are the other particulars about it, the barrel Lance weight, chokes excetera. Looks like it would make a great dove gun

Hi, Harold,

I hope all is well with you. We are on our way to South Carolina (to escape winter!), so I don’t have my gun records with me, but as I recall the gun is choked more open and tight. The barrels are 30 inches, and the gun is built on a #1 frame. It’s not light, but I could tell it was a #1 frame gun the first time I handled it. It has the DHBP.

Thanks for your interest. Best of health to you!

Garry L Gordon 02-24-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 267051)
Out of my somewhat modest accumulation of Parker’s I only have two with straight grips . An 1881 lifter and an 1883 top lever . Both are Grade 0 and both are 10 gauge .

Boy, guns from those years are great examples of Parker refinement from all I have seen. I have a grade 3 10 gauge (with a capped pistol grip) and two 16 hammer guns (both on 0 frames, consecutively numbered), One of the 16s has a non-original, straight grip, done long ago and including a Parker long tang.

I still hope to come across a nice, unique lifter. I’ll bet those 10s of yours are wonderful guns!

Mills Morrison 02-24-2019 09:39 PM

I missed out on a straight grip 10 gauge from the 3000 sn range last year. From the pictures it looked as sleek as a small bore. Good job on your find Garry