Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   baker side by side shotgun (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26497)

Ed Norman 02-12-2019 04:17 PM

baker C grade

1 Attachment(s)
this is a picture of C grade baker

Nick de Guerre 02-12-2019 04:22 PM

Ed,

That's not what I was expecting. The C grade I know of is a box lock design with no side plates. This is a sidelock gun, perhaps mid-high grade...just below Paragon, or maybe it is a Paragon.

Can you provide a pic of the water table showing the serial number and letters? If we can see it...or you can even just write it down, we can get to the bottom of it. Need the number and any letters or other characters. If there is an "F" that isn't the grade, it indicates the years in which H.D. Folsom owned Baker.

Also, what made you think it is a C grade in the first place?

This gun is lovely! Krupp barrels?

NDG

Mark Ray 02-12-2019 04:32 PM

Almost certain that is a later "A" grade....super nice looking gun from this photo...it could possibly even be a "B" grade...the grades were not indicated on the guns generally...A's are often difficult to differentiate from B's. Paragons all have at least some work on breech balls and more coverage generally.

I think Nick is referring to a MODEL C gun as the plain boxlock...I seem to remember such a thing.

As Far as I know, there never was a C grade. B grade was plainer than an A grade, so I would think that would not make sense that the subject gun wouls be a lesser grade than a B.

Nice Gun, can we see the rest of it...I have an A grade Damascus gun that I love!!

Mark Ray 02-12-2019 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My A grade Baker.....

Dave Noreen 02-12-2019 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The A and the B were essentially the same, just the A had Damascus barrels and the B had Twist barrels. There was quite a bit of variation in the engraving or etching on the A and B Grades. The text in the Baker Gun Quarterly explains that they have a variety of motifs.

The gun in question is a very early gun as it only has the single pin and a screw in the lockplate. Just a bit into the Baker hammerless they went to a lock with three pins.

Attachment 69884

Mark Ray 02-12-2019 05:10 PM

Like Dave said...I meant to say that your gun is an early gun....that leaves a question about the barrels...either those are Damascus or Twist that have been carded and blued. or they are likely replacement barrels if fluid.

Ed Norman 02-12-2019 06:14 PM

Will try to get more pictures guys, thanks for all the help. These guns are from one of my best friends father who passed away. Planning on going down this week or weekend to look, he also has a parker vh with the butt plate cracked, and stock has a very slight crack.

Ed Norman 02-12-2019 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hopefully this one loaded, thanks again, I believe he said this gun might of been pre 1900? We talked about a lot of guns, so I cannot keep them all straight.

George Stanton 02-12-2019 06:21 PM

Very nice condition. I like Baker guns a lot.

Ed Norman 02-12-2019 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought they said this gun was like 98% original? Not sure about the barrels then.