Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Powder Measurement with a MEC (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40862)

Brett Farley 01-06-2024 09:17 PM

Powder Measurement with a MEC

Quick question. I reloaded some 12 ga. target loads utilizing an Alliant powder published recipe with Red Dot. I cross referenced the MEC bushing chart on which bushing to use for the correct grains. I checked each of the first several shells utilizing a properly zeroed beam scale and each powder charge measured almost two grains lower than what it should have been. Do ya’ll find that you have to increase the size of your bushings to get a proper throw of powder? I had to increase the bushing size by three (30 - 33) to get close to the correct grains of powder thrown. Thanx

Daniel Carter 01-06-2024 09:22 PM

That is common with the MEC chart. I find the same 1 to 2 bushings larger. Some powders and some lots are are + or -.

Jerry Harlow 01-06-2024 09:24 PM

Brett,
I find the charts to be short on both powder and shot charges. Either use an adjustable bar or change bushings. Shot bars may show 1 1/8 ounces but drop 1 1/16 ounces. Powder is almost always short, but a powder baffle helps make whatever it is consistent for me. They make them short for law suit reasons is what I believe.

Randy G Roberts 01-06-2024 10:09 PM

Brett like you I always get the scale out and weigh several powder drops before I start loading a new recipe. I think the charts get you close but more times than not it's not the exact bushing for any given recipe in my experience also.

Randy G Roberts 01-06-2024 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow (Post 402612)
Brett,
I find the charts to be short on both powder and shot charges. Either use an adjustable bar or change bushings. Shot bars may show 1 1/8 ounces but drop 1 1/16 ounces. Powder is almost always short, but a powder baffle helps make whatever it is consistent for me. They make them short for law suit reasons is what I believe.

Jerry I've never used a baffle. Do you believe they yield more consistent drops?

Bill Jolliff 01-06-2024 11:59 PM

Brett,

I have also found that a powder bushing I use on a MEC single stage loader, Sizemaster specifically, will drop a little lighter on my MEC progressive 8567 Grabber.

Brett Farley 01-07-2024 06:37 AM

All,
Thanks for the follow up. Very helpful. Lesson learned is to weigh your powder drop and adjust accordingly. I just got some additional bushings so I’ll have the ability to adjust to get the proper weight/grains of powder. I have not weighed my shot drop but will do that as well. Thanks again!

Daryl Corona 01-07-2024 09:14 AM

I also use baffles on all my MEC 9000's and found them to give a consistent drop. The bushings drove me crazy so I went with the adjustable charge bars. I know a lot of people don't like them but once you learn how to use them you'll ask yourself why MEC didn't supply them from the start.

Milt Fitterman 01-07-2024 09:41 AM

As you use the MEC 9000 the compression of the powder caused by the vibration of using it seems to cause an increase of the weight of the drop. After running about ten loads, check your weights again.

Daryl Corona 01-07-2024 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milt Fitterman (Post 402637)
As you use the MEC 9000 the compression of the powder caused by the vibration of using it seems to cause an increase of the weight of the drop. After running about ten loads, check your weights again.

Thanks for proving the point on using baffles Milt.