Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A good sign for the fall season (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16660)

edgarspencer 06-19-2015 04:25 PM

A good sign for the fall season

1 Attachment(s)
Rough Grouse, yesterday, in Greenville, Maine. I never seem to have a camera handy when I see this stuff, but fortunately, my friend did.

Gary Laudermilch 06-19-2015 04:35 PM

I saw a brood in PA this week and they were flying. Beautiful picture, by the way.

charlie cleveland 06-19-2015 06:00 PM

first picture of a young one i have ever seen..thanks charlie

Daryl Corona 06-19-2015 06:56 PM

That would make a great photo for the Spencer x-mas card to all the PGCA members.:bigbye:

Marty Kohler 06-19-2015 10:11 PM

That is one special photograph! ......thanks for sharing....

edgarspencer 06-20-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl Corona (Post 170600)
That would make a great photo for the Spencer x-mas card to all the PGCA members.:bigbye:

Daryl, I agree, that photo would make a nice card, but as I said before, it's not mine. Gail Smith, along with Karen Folsom, are a couple of great photographers who always seem to be in the right place at the right time.
Gail sells a lot of gifts using her photos, and will probably print cards using this picture.
Karen has gotten some phenomenal sunrise photos in the past week or so, well before anyone else is even up (sunrise in this part of Maine is a full half hour earlier than back at home in CT.

Herb Hewlett 06-22-2015 08:44 AM

grouse photo

Now Edgarspencer, we all know their aren't any grouse in Maine.That cute little chick must be in Minnesota or Michigan. Herb

John Dallas 06-22-2015 09:50 AM

Darn sure not in Mich. Don't bother coming here

Rich Anderson 06-25-2015 09:22 AM

You keep thinking that John:rolleyes:

John Dallas 06-25-2015 12:54 PM

Rich - I think you missed my poor attempt at humor.

Rich Anderson 06-25-2015 02:49 PM

That's entirely possible. From what I've been hearing in the U.P. it should be pretty good this year.

Mike Koneski 06-25-2015 08:07 PM

I understand Rich only misses stuff when it's orange and disc shaped!! :eek:

Rich Anderson 06-25-2015 08:51 PM

I lose my concentration when the target isn't edible:) Come up Grouse hunting and you'll see. The Fox XE 16 will be ready for it's debut bird season.

Mike Koneski 06-26-2015 09:34 AM

I'm trying to get it on the schedule Rich!! Won't know until the end of September. We booked another event for October, so, that month if filling up quickly!

Eric Eis 06-26-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dallas (Post 171031)
Rich - I think you missed my poor attempt at humor.

Rich can be a little slow at times.........:rotf:

Eric Eis 06-26-2015 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 171037)
That's entirely possible. From what I've been hearing in the U.P. it should be pretty good this year.

Rich, somethings are better left unsaid.....:nono: if you get my meaning...:rolleyes:

Rich Anderson 06-26-2015 12:09 PM

Mike the ONLY events you should be scheduling in October are hunting related.:)

John Dallas 06-26-2015 10:05 PM

Eric - you and I are trying toay the same thing.

SHUSH!

Richard Flanders 07-14-2015 06:41 PM

Hopefully you can show Jack plenty of birds Rich.

Rich Anderson 07-15-2015 09:05 AM

Daisy and I will do our best.

edgarspencer 07-15-2015 09:40 PM

Par for the course, 13 out of the 20 posts in this thread have nothing to do with the picture in post #1

Dean Romig 07-15-2015 10:05 PM

Edgar, please ask your friend Gail Smith, what brand camera she used to capture that wonderful ruffed grouse chick... also the model number of the camera, the lens, shutter speed, aperture, and light meter reading.

Thanks in advance, Dean

edgarspencer 07-16-2015 07:50 AM

She had a new Nikon D7000 and some variable Nikor lens. She lives down near Newport but comes up to G'ville pretty frequently. I met her over at Curriers air base. That's where I keep my boat.

Dean Romig 07-16-2015 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Did she photograph that chick nearby to your place?
I know your neck of the woods is lousy with both species of grouse (not so much the protected Spruce Grouse, though that's the only place I've seen them in New England) so there must have been plenty of opportunities for her by driving out any of the gravel roads in the area.

You're on the east side... how far are you from Currier's?

.Spruce Grouse cock bird.

edgarspencer 07-16-2015 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 172660)
Did she photograph that chick nearby to your place? Yes
I know your neck of the woods is lousy Lousy or Loaded?with both species of grouse (not so much the protected Spruce Grouse, though that's the only place I've seen them in New England)I know nothing, Best to ask George about them so there must have been plenty of opportunities for her by driving out any of the gravel roads in the area.

You're on the east side.Yup.. how far are you from Currier's?3-4 minutes

Dean Romig 07-16-2015 08:40 AM

Nice Cessna.

Dean Romig 07-16-2015 08:44 AM

Oops - Sorry... I see your boat now - at first glance I thought it was one of the pontoons on the plane :o

edgarspencer 07-16-2015 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Do you like Beavers? His Beaver is nicer than his two Cessna 195 radials, which are nicer than his 180

Stephen Hodges 07-16-2015 04:43 PM

Edger, that photograph is spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope all of Northern Maine has birds this fall. I have a cabin rented at Red River Camps in Deboullie Township which is behind the North Maine Woods Fish Pond Gate. I guess the upland hunters did quite well there last year.

http://www.redrivercamps.com/index.html

edgarspencer 07-16-2015 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges (Post 172711)
Edger, that photograph is spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope all of Northern Maine has birds this fall. I have a cabin rented at Red River Camps in Deboullie Township which is behind the North Maine Woods Fish Pond Gate. I guess the upland hunters did quite well there last year.

http://www.redrivercamps.com/index.html

By God, Stephen, you sure don't want to be found. I just took a half hour out of my remaining days combing the Maine Gazetter, and still have no idea where you're going.

Stephen Hodges 07-16-2015 09:10 PM

Edger, I do not like to be found:rotf: Especially during hunting season:corn: Maybe this map will help

http://www.northmainewoods.org/images/pdf/map.pdf

George M. Purtill 07-16-2015 09:38 PM

Bought my non-resident Maine license today. Planning on having Charlie up there for October 1.

Dean Romig 07-16-2015 10:07 PM

OK Steve, you neglected to mark your destination on that map. I'm fairly familiar with the Great North Woods but I'll need a waypoint.

Stephen Hodges 07-17-2015 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 172732)
OK Steve, you neglected to mark your destination on that map. I'm fairly familiar with the Great North Woods but I'll need a waypoint.

Dean, it is in Deboullie Township. Directions are in the link of the web site I provided. But its in T15 R9. Enlarge the map until you can read it.

Dean Romig 07-17-2015 10:12 AM

Good Grief Man !... there are plenty of grouse and woodcock in less remote sections of Maine! I mean, yeah their prices are very good but the airfare for the float plane is gonna be pretty steep.

I've always found loads of grouse out the Spencer Bay Road, North and West out of Kokadjo and up along the Golden Road out any of the timber roads. Lots of old cut-overs there.

Stephen Hodges 07-17-2015 10:20 AM

Dean, I will not be using a float plane to hunt, just driving the logging roads to cuts and such.

Dean Romig 07-17-2015 10:33 AM

I din't think you'd be using a float plane to hunt, but just to save yourself the drive back in there to the pond.

Good Luck! We want to hear all about it when you return to civilization.

chris dawe 07-20-2015 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 172660)
Did she photograph that chick nearby to your place?
I know your neck of the woods is lousy with both species of grouse (not so much the protected Spruce Grouse, though that's the only place I've seen them in New England) so there must have been plenty of opportunities for her by driving out any of the gravel roads in the area.

You're on the east side... how far are you from Currier's?

Dean thats a fine snap of a spruce chicken ,I've always thought the males were the most handsome grouse ...up here they're legal and can be sporting with the dog I guess its the hunting pressure as most of the locals don't differentiate between the two ....but yes, believe it or not in some places I find them they are very weary,but I have had them jump on the front rack of my quad while I was on it as well .

Edgar ,thats a fine boat you have there...it's one of my biggest disappointments that I don't own a proper boat ,I live 2 minutes from the ocean ...I have salt water in my blood right through the family tree ,I just don't have it in the wallet at the moment .

Frank Srebro 07-20-2015 11:35 AM

I was out at the cabin from Thursday to Saturday (mountains of northeastern PA). It was our annual blast from the past weekend and some friends and I had a good time, kind of a tribute to those years. :rolleyes:

Also did some scouting for grouse before the guys showed up. Plenty of summer food like huckleberries, chokecherries and wintergreen. No wild grapes at least where I checked. Elderberries coming on strong, also a heavy crop of crabs and regular apples around the old foundations. But this June was the wettest on record hereabouts and I wonder about the poults, not only grouse but also turkeys. Plus, the spring weather wasn’t all that great in 2014 and most of the grouse taken last fall were adults. I mainly stayed on wide cleared trails and old RR beds - timber rattlers - but didn't see anything but deer and a small bear. Time will tell this fall .....