Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Remington 1/2 Frame Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2068)

Austin W Hogan 06-29-2010 08:54 PM

Remington 1/2 Frame Parkers

I have been told there is a question on another forum relative to the PGCA archive on 1/2 frame guns. This appeared in Parker Pages Vol 9, Issue 2. If you have the Parker Pages disk it can be called up, or a printed copy can be obtained from Jim Hall ( sjhall@haloisp.net) as noted on the masthead of Parker Pages. There are other articles that have half frame information as well.
If the Parker Pages page is too large to attach, I will ask to have it posted on the FAQ

Best, Austin
The table is too large; I will try to have it posted on the FAQ

Robin Lewis 06-29-2010 09:47 PM

The half-frame table

1 Attachment(s)
Austin, here is the table for you.

Dave Fuller 06-30-2010 12:14 AM

Are these factory data? Interesting that almost half the D's have pads rather than skeleton butts... huh!

Dean Romig 06-30-2010 05:48 AM

And less than 1/3 of the guns with recorded weights are over 7 lbs. indicating that the 1/2 frame truly was a lighter 12 gauge than has been rumored in the last several years.

Dave Suponski 06-30-2010 06:51 AM

But...The one 30" A1S is still an 8 lb. gun.

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 08:51 AM

Austin, you can add 241,672, a DHE with Parker single trigger, splinter forend, skeleton butt, straight grip, and replacement PSS 28" 16 gauge barrels. By the way, what happened to the early guns that seem to have been prototypes for 1/2 frame guns? I guess we have not found any of those guns. Have any guns in the latest stock books been identified as 1/2 frame guns by the entry in the frame size column?

Austin W Hogan 06-30-2010 09:50 AM

Parkers on the 1/2 Frame

I have learned that this question arose on the Doublegun? Doublegunshop? forum; I am not a member and I hope one of you will transfer this material there.
Robin was able to extract and post this table from Vol 9 Issue 2 (2002) Parker Pages. It came from an article by Ron Kirby that appeared in DGJ. The table follows several pages of discussion on the original Parkergun Forum. A note follows this table indicating that there is no 1/2 frame size data entered in the Remington/Parker records or the Remington IBM cards. The table was prepared by noting the s/n and details of guns seen or reported and is not a record of manufacture from the order or stock books.
We found an internal Remington memo that suggested forging of additional 1/2 frames if Parker production were to continue, and noted it in the series of Parker Pages articles about the "cessation of the Parker operation". Craig Reynolds also noted a statistical forecast of the number of 1/2 frames in a related article.
I think that the way to determine the number of 1/2 frames made would be to take the approach Dave and Larry have used to examine the tooling used to bore damascus barrels. If someone could extract some info about Parker's forge ( or the forge used by Parker's frame forging supplier) the number of frames made per batch could be estimated. It appears that Parker may have made a batch of 1/2 frames, finished one or two as prototypes and abandoned the idea. The left over frames were shipped to Ilion were they were used as the supply of frames available dwindled. Some of the letters /memos in the shutdown articles indicate that some sizes of frames/fore end irons were not available.
Best, Austin

Robin Lewis 06-30-2010 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I the Volume 7, Issue 3 Parker Pages from 2000, Ron Kirby wrote that there was speculation that the 1/2 frame was a Remington innovation but there is evidence that they were working on the 1/2 frame as early as 1929, Ron said there is a blue print of the 1/2 frame dimensions. He did say where he found the blue print? He did however have a chart from a Remington Catalog, Dept 50 which I will post here.

After a quick computer search of the Parker Pages DVD, it looks like there have been at least four articles written about the Half Frame Parker.

Sometime ago, I sent 1/2 frame data I had collected over the years from auction sales to someone on the forum working on an article for Parker Pages. I don't know why but I can't locate the mail exchange and I don't remember who it was. But, the table I posted above has been updated but I can't verify if 241,672 was among the additions.

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 11:34 AM

I have seen this chart. As a chart showing which gauges were made on which frame sizes, it is very incomplete. As a supposedly late Remington illustration, it does not indicate the abbreviated frame versus gauge usage that was proposed for the end of production. It seems to be a very early chart of frames that Remington intended to use for various gauges. This chart is not intended to illustrate all gauges built on all frames. It also does not show the use of the 000 frame for the 28 gauge, which was a very late proposal that was to take Remington into the end of Parker production.

Austin W Hogan 06-30-2010 11:43 AM

Frames

Has anyone seen a 3 frame 8 ga?

Best, Austin

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 11:48 AM

I just noticed THE CHART POSTED ABOVE IS INCORRECT. THESE ARE NOT THE CORRECT PIN SEPARATIONS. The only correct pin separation chart that I know of is on page 527 of The Parker Story.

Dave Suponski 06-30-2010 12:09 PM

Robin,I would think that you gave that info to Craig Reynolds who published an updated 1/2 frame article a couple of Parker Pages ago. He used info from Kirby's research and added some additional info and an updated list of known 1/2 frame guns. An outstanding article I might add.

Parker Bros. was the one who first conjured up the idea for the 1/2 frame.I have a copy of the blueprint for the 1/2 frame and if memory serves it was dated 1930. The drawing is in my other computer and not available right now but I posted this drawing here not to long ago and sent some e-copies to interested parties. Maybe someone here has it in their machine an can post it for us all.

Robin Lewis 06-30-2010 12:30 PM

Dave,

You are correct! For a man your age your memory is good!

Craig Reynolds wrote an article for the Winter Parker Pages in 2009, Volume 16, Issue 4, titled "How Many Parker Half Frames?" and the blue print is included too.

I also see that #241,672 is not listed in that article's data. I hope Craig sees this thread and adds it to his data collection.

Dean Romig 06-30-2010 01:34 PM

Bill, were the barrels on 241672 replaced by Remington?

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 01:44 PM

Austin, Robin's chart has three errors in pin placement distance. Maybe he would correct them and repost the chart.

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 01:45 PM

Austin, I also find it hard to believe that the #3 frame was made in two different widths. No, I have not seen an eight gauge on a #3 frame. Funny how that set of figures appears on a chart put together by a Remington employee who had probably never seen an eight gauge Parker. The smallest hammerless eight gauge frame I have ever seen is a #6.

Robin Lewis 06-30-2010 01:57 PM

Bill,

The chart I posted is a copy of a Remington chart taken from one of their catalogs. I didn't create the chart, its more or less an historical document and nothing I would change, right or wrong. It is what it is.

I simply copied it from an old issue of Parker Pages just as it was copied by Mr. Kirby when he wrote that article. I believe I even listed the issue I took it from.

Please, don't shoot the messenger :duck: because its ME!:eek:

Robin

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 01:59 PM

Dean, I replaced the barrels on #241,672 with a set from the old junk box.

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 02:00 PM

Thanks, Robin, I just wanted to make sure that everyone had the correct information. By the way, the 1930 Remington half frame blueprint that Dave mentions is the blueprint that says "Use #1 barrels." Only after Dave sent me a copy of that blueprint did I think to use a set of #1 frame 16 gauge barrels on my half frame DHE which, up to that time, had no barrels at all.

Austin W Hogan 06-30-2010 02:09 PM

Half Frames

I remember a gun that was offered at Las Vegas that was stamped 1/2 on the lug but was a 1 1/2.

Best, Austin

Dave Suponski 06-30-2010 03:12 PM

Actually Robin,My memory isn't that good..:rolleyes: The reason I remembered is that I helped just a wee bit on that article with Craig....

Bill Zachow 06-30-2010 06:30 PM

Austin, the smallest framed 8 gauge I have ever seen is a 5. Owned the gun for about 2 days and then returned it. Too many issues, even though it was a lifter. One neat thing about it...the shell head rims fit into a recesses on the standing breech.

Dean Romig 06-30-2010 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Zachow (Post 20786)
One neat thing about it...the shell head rims fit into a recesses on the standing breech.

Wow! I've never heard of that before. Have you ever seen another in any gauge that was made that way? I've seen a couple of early Parkers with gas venting recesses in the standing breech and escape holes.

Bill Murphy 06-30-2010 06:42 PM

Bill Zachow, it is very interesting that you mention a hammer gun built on a #5 frame, but hammerless eight gauges seem to be limited to #6 frames. In fact, there seem to be no #4 or #5 hammerless frames in any gauge that have surfaced. I have measured the eight gauge shell against the existing frame sizes and have determined that an eight gauge #3 frame hammerless gun can be built, but no one has come forward with one built at the Parker Brothers factory so far.

Austin W Hogan 07-01-2010 07:38 AM

Frame Size

I think that the Remington Frame information came from a parts list of 1950's vintage. The frame info was to be used when ordering parts.

Best, Austin

Bruce Day 07-02-2010 09:54 AM

Austin, if I remember correctly, there has been quite a lot of research published in the Parker Pages about the half frame 12's. There was that article and several others by Parker experts who carefully went through the PGCA records. Great research and fine articles. There was another article specifically dealing with average weights if anyone is interested.

Dean Romig 07-02-2010 10:13 AM

And it seems every time we discuss it here another little tidbit of 1/2 frame information surfaces.

Bruce Day 07-02-2010 11:12 AM

Well we don't want to get into the black hole of forgetting about what has been already written about the subject in the Parker Pages.

Dean Romig 02-10-2022 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just came across the 1/2 Frame blueprint.

David Noble 02-11-2022 02:55 AM

So it appears the designers married a No. 1 standing breech to a No. 0 lower frame and components except for an offset on the hammer noses to match the No. 1 pin spacing.
The lightning cuts on the water table are like the No. 00 frame. Very interesting, and I wish that the times had not cut the production short. I would love to own one.

Bill Murphy 02-11-2022 05:04 PM

I haven't seen a 1/2 frame with lightening cuts. Are there any so equipped?

Brian Dudley 02-11-2022 06:02 PM

No, it is generally accepted that the lightening cuts did not make it onto the frames that were eventually used in production by Remington.

Who knows if Meriden would have ended up putting them in if THEY had built the guns. Or if it is something that was just on the original engineering print and later left out of production.

Mills Morrison 02-11-2022 06:53 PM

A 1/2 frame is on my long term want list.

Dean Romig 02-12-2022 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 355674)
No, it is generally accepted that the lightening cuts did not make it onto the frames that were eventually used in production by Remington.

Who knows if Meriden would have ended up putting them in if THEY had built the guns. Or if it is something that was just on the original engineering print and later left out of production.

I don’t remember ever having seen a lightened hammerless 0-frame. We see lightening cuts on most (but not all) 0-frame 16 gauge hammer guns but that practice apparently wasn’t continued on the hammerless models until the 00-frame was introduced.

Bill Murphy 01-14-2024 10:00 AM

Note that the 1930 blueprint mentions the possibility of a 16 gauge 1/2 frame. I have never seen one from the factory, but remember that there are thousands of Parkers in the hands of people who don't know a frame size from a duck's wing. My 1/2 frame 16 was built from parts as well as a mismatched set of 12 gauge 1/2 frame barrels for a great DHE two barrel set. It is a true lightweight with a beautiful straight grip buttstock smaller than any .410 or 28 gauge stock I have measured. My second 1/2 frame gun is Forest Marshall's old gun, a rather standard 1/2 frame with matching parts. Thank you for the posters on this great thread.

Jim Pasman 01-14-2024 11:27 AM

Given the 2002 data cites only 12ga guns and given the "rule of 96", here's a question for those among us who are fortunate to use them - are they heaven in the field and hell on the shoulder (unless loaded with less than an ounce of lead)? Most on the chart are over 6lbs, but I'm still curious.