Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Sporting Clays Classic (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40285)

Greg Baehman 10-23-2023 05:46 PM

The Sporting Clays Classic

1 Attachment(s)
Parker Reproduction’s Sporting Clays Classic model is my nominee for the Most Versatile Parker on the Planet. With only 125 of this model in existence there is a certain amount of exclusivity to those that are lucky enough to own one. The Sporting Clays Classic shown below, having 3” chambers, steel shot capability and 10 choke tubes — 2 SK, 2 IC, 2 MOD, 2 IM and 2 FULL, yields at my count, 50 possible combinations. In other words, it would require a total of 50 fixed choked guns to equal the versatility of just one Sporting Clays Classic! :eek:

charlie cleveland 10-23-2023 08:05 PM

what a fine gun to own....i like thechokes on this gun.....charlie

todd allen 10-23-2023 08:22 PM

That one is a beauty, for sure!

Jeff Elder 10-27-2023 06:47 PM

Very cool. Never knew they made one with spin in chokes.

Paul Ehlers 10-29-2023 09:01 AM

FYI

The choke tubes on these guns were the Winchester Win-Chokes that Winchester was using at that time. This makes sense being as the repro's were being built under contract with Winchester in Japan.

These also weren't thin wall tubes and required the barrels to be expanded at the muzzles to accept them, so there will be a slight bulging of the barrels near the muzzle end of the barrels.

This isn't a big deal to me because it's just part of what is probably one of the most unique offerings available with the Parker reproductions.

John Dallas 10-29-2023 10:08 AM

If Krieghoff can swell their barrels, I see nothing wrong with doing it on a Japanese import

Greg Baehman 10-30-2023 04:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Please do not confuse the bulging of Krieghoff and other maker’s barrels with the very slight flare of the Sporting Clays Classic. Back in the day when Parker Reproductions were producing these guns it was prudent of the manufacturer to maintain wall thickness through the choke tube area. During this time period thinwall choke tubes were in their infancy, manufacturers were cautioning against shooting steel loads through them and writers were writing and shooters were saying to be careful handling them for fear they’d dent or get out of round.

I get a kick out of those running around saying Sporting Clays Classic barrels are bulged, like it’s a terrible thing. They likely have never even seen or have never shot a round of anything with the Sporting Clays Classic — if they had, they might come away with a different opinion.

Shown below is a Sporting Clays Classic. Look closely for yourself, you might need a straight edge to detect the slight flare.

Paul Ehlers 10-31-2023 08:50 AM

Just a point for clarification.

I wasn't trying to demean the sporting clays classics as being inferior in any way due to the flaring, bulging or whatever one wants to call it for the accommodation of the win-chokes.

My view was just from an instructional/informational standpoint. The PGCA is an educational organization about all things Parker shotgun related & this site is the online place for both the members & the general public go to gain knowledge of our beloved guns. With this in mind, my intension of mentioning the flaring was simply stating a matter of fact for educational purposes about this unique Parker reproduction offering.

The flaring is what it is & wouldn't bother me in the least. I would love to own one, but to others it might be a big deal.

Phil Cloninger 12-17-2023 07:07 PM

Greg, I am a great fan of the SCC and love the choke holders you made for this SCC case...

As mentioned in an earlier post, I love my SCC, but also like 26" barrels for Upland.
I was able to purchase a set of the original 26", Q1 and Q2 barrels from Josh and have them fitted....We have made the most versatile PR just a bit more versatile with the addition of the 26" barrels.

Now I am looking for a PR two-barrel case in 28". The last time I checked, Josh didn't have one in that configuration. If anyone might have one for sale, or a lead on one, I would appreciate your letting me know.... Thanks!

Bill Murphy 12-18-2023 09:21 AM

Some time back, I was informed on this site that there are more than one variation of the Sporting Clays Classic choke installation. One variation seems to have more flare than the one pictured here. The one pictured here shows very little or no flare. The other variation shows a very visible flare. They may have been a very early SCC, maybe a prototype.

Greg Baehman 12-18-2023 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 401177)
Some time back, I was informed on this site that there are more than one variation of the Sporting Clays Classic choke installation. One variation seems to have more flare than the one pictured here. The one pictured here shows very little or no flare. The other variation shows a very visible flare. They may have been a very early SCC, maybe a prototype.

Once upon a time, a long, long, long, long time ago, I heard that that if a person hears something enough, something that has been repeated over and over and over again, so much so they start believing it themselves -- and then they go on repeating it . . . and then others that have heard it go on repeating it . . . things such as a very visible flare or bulging to a Sporting Clays Classic's muzzles comes to mind.

Bill, would you please post a pic of any SCC with a very flared muzzle? (Oh, that's right you're unable to post pics. :cuss:) So, at the very least, please refer us to a link on this site that documents an SCC with a very flared muzzle and I'll start believing it, too. Until then, I believe you're dreaming.

David C Porter 12-18-2023 04:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
With a 12" straight edge I show about 1/16" gap. Just looking at it you really don't notice the barrel flare.

Bill Murphy 12-18-2023 04:49 PM

Greg, all I know is that, many moons ago, I was offered, face to face, an SCC that had a muzzle flare that I could not live with. I don't have pictures and I don't have the gun. I just know I wanted an SCC and couldn't live with the flare. If I were offered an SCC today without a bulge, I would jump on it. By the way, this has been discussed here before and posters much more experienced than I discussed the two different varieties of SCC. The pictured SCC is very nice with no apparent flare. I would love to add that gun to my Repro collection.

Greg Baehman 12-18-2023 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 401208)
***Snip*** By the way, this has been discussed here before and posters much more experienced than I discussed the two different varieties of SCC. ***Snip***

Bill, would you please lead me, via a link if you're able, to one of those discussions where the two different varieties of the SCC were discussed?

Bill Murphy 12-19-2023 09:54 AM

Greg, I love your essay that combines humor with sarcasm with a bit of irony injected. Of course I can't give you the link you requested. The point I made was that I once "did not buy" a SCC because of the muzzle area of the barrels. That point has nothing to do with our conversation or your gun. Again, your SCC is beautiful and I would love to own it.

Chuck Loveless 01-12-2024 12:04 PM

I just purchased a SCC and it came with 6 chokes. Did yours come with all that you show in the case? BTW beautiful block for the chokes, I'll be making one to hold my chokes . Thanks

David C Porter 01-12-2024 12:41 PM

I got the block idea from Wild Skies, but added the top cover. They came with 6 chokes. I added a few extras

Greg Baehman 01-12-2024 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Loveless (Post 403035)
I just purchased a SCC and it came with 6 chokes. Did yours come with all that you show in the case? BTW beautiful block for the chokes, I'll be making one to hold my chokes . Thanks

Like David, I purchased additional chokes to the six that were included from the factory. In addition to the tubes I listed in my initial post, I also purchased 2-Cyl and 2-XF tubes -- making for a complete set of Winchester Winchoke Type III tubes available for the SCC. So, instead of requiring 50 fixed choke guns to equal the versatility of just one Sporting Clays Classic, it would add so much more additional versatility that it would likely require a warehouse to store all those fixed choke guns in. :eek:

TIP: The "rectangular" area within the case for your block is not a true rectangle - it is actually trapezoidal in shape. When making your choke tube holder do not cut the wood as a rectangle or you will end up of having voids around the perimeter of the block. Take careful measurements before cutting.

Kevin McCormack 01-12-2024 03:56 PM

I LOVE the subtle but definitely pronounced "Muderlakian Twist" to this thread! What a ball he would have with it were he alive today!!

Bill Murphy 01-14-2024 09:35 AM

Ed M. was a classic "curmudgeon" of the unfriendly genre. I, however, took over the "curmudgeon" title of the PGCA forum. However, I, unlike Ed, am a friendly "curmudgeon", out to educate and assist fellow members. Too bad some PGCA posters don't see it that way. Oh, well.

todd allen 01-14-2024 11:08 AM

Apologies in advance for taking this conversation into the weeds.
I met Muderlak once or twice, and knew Larry Baer to some extent personally. Been to his house, etc.
That would have been a cage match if you got them in the same room together ;-)

Bill Murphy 01-14-2024 11:57 AM

Maybe Dave Noreen will post the classic Maryland pigeon shoot picture that includes me and Ed in a good mood. Ed and I had our "cage match" after I brought a carload of rare and interesting Parkers for his book to his son's house in Virginia. After a grueling day of photography and setup, two of my guns appeared in his book. I don't know whether we ever met or spoke again, and our cage match was only a dream. I ordered the book directly from Ed and requested that it not be autographed. End of story.

Greg Baehman 01-14-2024 12:21 PM

It's a small world we travel in . . .

I first met Ed Muderlak and his wife at the Ace of Clubs drinking and eating establishment in Sagola at one of the early Yooper shoots. The Muderlak's and I had a very nice conversation, which mostly centered around their travels, his books and Parkers. This conversation eventually led to talking about what Parkers I brought to the shoot which included a Sporting Clays Classic. He loved the SCC and said it was a pity that Parker Bros. didn't yet have the technology to produce guns with choke tubes during their production. Although his wife didn't mention that she liked my SCC, too; I could see it in her eyes! :whistle:

I also met Larry Baer at one of the Antique Arms Shows in Las Vegas. This is the show that I examined the first BHE/DHE engraved Parker Reproduction 0000-frame .410 I had ever seen. This gun was on Paul Dorsa's table and was for sale. Larry Baer had a Parker Reproduction A-1 Special 28/28/.410 3-bbl. set in-the-white for sale on his table. It was this Baer's 00-frame 3-bbl. set that I measured to compare it with Dorsa's 0000-frame to properly recognize and identify as an actual 0000-frame gun, as I had never seen one before. What was doubly rare, odd and unusual was that it was a BHE with DHE engraving -- which turns out to be one of only three known to exist -- at least to my knowledge.

Bill Murphy 01-14-2024 04:27 PM

Ed's wife is one delightful person. I miss visiting with her.

todd allen 01-14-2024 05:50 PM

The world of side by sides is definitely a small world!

Jim Thynne 01-22-2024 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 403184)
Ed M. was a classic "curmudgeon" of the unfriendly genre. I, however, took over the "curmudgeon" title of the PGCA forum. However, I, unlike Ed, am a friendly "curmudgeon", out to educate and assist fellow members. Too bad some PGCA posters don't see it that way. Oh, well.

But I do miss Ed and Parker Dog!! One of a kind!!

Bill Murphy 01-23-2024 07:14 AM

Thanks for the comment, Jim.

Tom Jay 01-28-2024 06:31 PM

A Parker SCC has been posted for sale on GI, #102578928. Robin Hollow Outfitters is the seller.

Greg Baehman 01-29-2024 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Jay (Post 404262)
A Parker SCC has been posted for sale on GI, #102578928. Robin Hollow Outfitters is the seller.

Purchasing a Sporting Clays Classic, like that one or one similar to it, will cause those that know the capability of this model to be saying…

"Beware the Man with One Gun"

(Dbl. wink!)

Bill Murphy 01-30-2024 06:00 AM

At the risk of alienating many of our posters, let me suggest that the quote about "one gun" refers to one gun without screw chokes or three sets of barrels. Just my humble opinion. Of course, I'm the guy whose solution to every problem with guns, chokes, or ammunition is "Learn to shoot."

tom tutwiler 01-30-2024 08:41 AM

Quick story on Ed. I was in a small gunshop in Leesburg Va many years ago and I believe the name was Nimrod. It had a bunch of high end doubles. Most from Europe and England as I recall, but a few Parkers and other things. I had just come back from Germany so the year must have been about 1989. Anyway, I walked in and the owner was with a gentleman and they were both looking at a vintage book. I asked if I could look around and the owner said sure. Anyway, poking around and there was a pile of books on one table and they were all Ed's book "Old Reliable". I was not a Parker guy at the time, but I certainly knew of Parker shotguns. Picked up the book and looked at the back cover and of course there was Ed's picture. I looked at for a few minutes and thought I know that guy and was trying to figure out from where.

Looked back at the front where the owner and Ed were talking and suddenly realized that the fellow on the back cover was sitting right there. Anyway, waited until their was a break in the conversation and slid up there and asked if he indeed was the fellow on the back cover and he said yes. Anyway, I bought the book and was about to leave the store and he stopped me and asked me if I wanted him to autograph the book and I said sure. Still have it of course on the bookshelf. Pretty neat story.

Bill Murphy 01-30-2024 10:02 AM

Ed's son, or was it his son in law, lived right outside of Leesburg, east of town off Route 15. Ed spent a bit of time there. The Nimrod was a fun little store, long gone now.