Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Most underrated cut of venison (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41359)

Andrew Sacco 03-02-2024 09:18 AM

Most underrated cut of venison

1 Attachment(s)
Probably my favorite cut of venison. The FLAT IRON steak. Small but as tender as a backstrap, if not more so. I salt it well and leave uncovered in the fridge a few hours. Pan sear on super high heat about two minutes a side, fresh cracked black pepper. Never disappoints. Would make a killer fajita too or taco.

Mike Koneski 03-02-2024 01:43 PM

I always considered the tongue or heart to be the most underrated cuts from a deer, but that's just me. :)

CraigThompson 03-02-2024 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 406640)
I always considered the tongue or heart to be the most underrated cuts from a deer, but that's just me. :)

Heart can be quite good it just took me a few years to realize it !

Daryl Corona 03-02-2024 03:29 PM

The liver is pretty good too.

Mike Koneski 03-02-2024 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl Corona (Post 406651)

Heck yes! Fried with bacon, onions and gravy or made into pate.

Stephen Hodges 03-02-2024 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl Corona (Post 406651)

Sorry Daryl, love the heart but cannot get liver by my lips:cool:

CraigThompson 03-02-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Hodges (Post 406660)
Sorry Daryl, love the heart but cannot get liver by my lips:cool:

I’ll second that !

Brian Dudley 03-02-2024 09:33 PM

The whole neck boiled down for a meaty soup is great.

Stan Hillis 03-03-2024 07:18 AM

I have a vivid memory from some 45-50 years ago, back when I hunted deer in the river swamp with dogs, of a deer being processed at our camp one day. There were a couple of guys who ate the livers, and one from a deer killed that morning was cut out, and laid on a big wooden wire spool that was used as an outdoor table, while the deer processing was being completed. I walked by the liver and noticed it moving. We cut into it and found so many liver fluke worms in it that the whole thing looked like it was being kneaded from the inside.

I'm not squeamish, but I don't eat liver, and it's partially because of that mind picture.

Andrew Sacco 03-03-2024 07:04 PM

Yea wobbly bits can turn you off. I like straight up M E A T . I have had heart. It's ok. Liver from deer can taste good or like pennies, I'll pass. Basically there are two things I will NOT eat. Brains and bugs.

CraigThompson 03-03-2024 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 406728)
Yea wobbly bits can turn you off. I like straight up M E A T . I have had heart. It's ok. Liver from deer can taste good or like pennies, I'll pass. Basically there are two things I will NOT eat. Brains and bugs.

My great grandmother told me when they killed hogs many many years ago they ate everything from the rooter to the tooter except for the squeal , I don’t quite follow that practice :rotf::rotf::rotf:

John Dallas 03-04-2024 03:45 PM

I second the recommendation for Neck Roast. Long and slow in a crock pot

Mills Morrison 03-04-2024 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 406733)
My great grandmother told me when they killed hogs many many years ago they ate everything from the rooter to the tooter except for the squeal , I don’t quite follow that practice :rotf::rotf::rotf:

A friend of ours told us that "everything but the squeal" when he took away a hog from one of Dad's traps lately. I didn't ask for any further explanation.

Mills Morrison 03-04-2024 04:28 PM

Summer sausage is my favorite type of venison, mainly because it is so much better than other kinds of sausage from other animals

CraigThompson 03-04-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 406813)
A friend of ours told us that "everything but the squeal" when he took away a hog from one of Dad's traps lately. I didn't ask for any further explanation.

I can remmember as a kid my great grandmother cleaning and then cooking chitlins . They liked them but you would’ve gotten tired from beating me with a stick before I’d have eaten any .

CraigThompson 03-04-2024 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 406814)
Summer sausage is my favorite type of venison, mainly because it is so much better than other kinds of sausage from other animals

I got some venison and some elk summer sausage from a commercial outfit in Colorado I’m going to take to the Philippines with me next Monday . I’d like to can some venison tenderloin and take it along but I’m afraid they might pitch it and I don’t wanna go to the trouble f I’ll loose it .

Mike Koneski 03-09-2024 09:48 AM

Here's a link for all you nay-sayers of venison liver. Just remember, liver, onions, bacon and gravy. Can't beat it!!

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/c...cid=d2ca0ab4ca

Dean Romig 03-09-2024 09:59 AM

I dunno Mike, that looks almost a bit overdone for my liking.
I do fry mine with onions and in bacon grease too but without the flour.

Jim Wescott 03-09-2024 10:14 AM

Moose brisket steak or bear back straps are at the top of the list with our crew Downeast. Aged two weeks and sautéed rare to medium rare. Wicked good!

Mike Koneski 03-09-2024 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 407140)
I dunno Mike, that looks almost a bit overdone for my liking.
I do fry mine with onions and in bacon grease too but without the flour.

Dean, liver, not unlike steak, is best served bloody in the middle!

Dave Noreen 03-09-2024 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 406685)
The whole neck boiled down for a meaty soup is great.

Neck meat, especially Elk, is for making real mincemeat pies like mother use to make. Not that candied fruit stuff from stores! I'm fortunate to know a couple of ladies over in Idaho, one that hunts Elk and provides the meat to the other that makes me pies.

Mike Koneski 03-09-2024 02:42 PM

From my PA Dutch side of the family, when they butchered pigs they used everything but the squeal.