Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fall Southern SXS -- CANCELLED (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19601)

Mills Morrison 08-15-2016 02:50 PM

Fall Southern SXS -- CANCELLED

Fall Southern CANCELLED due to storm damage!

It is not too early to mark your calendar for October 21-23 for the Southern SXS Fall Classic at Backwoods Quail Club in Georgetown, South Carolina. I hope to see a bunch of you there. Below is a schedule of events.

Friday/Saturday Events:

•Small Gauge 50-Target Event // 20-Gauge • 28-Gauge • 32-Gauge • 410 Bore Event

•Big Bore 50-Target Event // 10-Gauge • 12-Gauge • 16-Gauge

•Preliminary 50-Target Event // 10-Gauge • 12-Gauge • 16-Gauge

•Pump 50-Target Event // All Gauges

Sunday Events:

•100-Target Atkin Grant & Lang Main Event

•30-Target Compak Sporting Event

Parker-Smith Events:

•30-Target 16 Gauge Event

•30-Target Fall Challenge

•30-Target Trap Challenge

Many opportunities to compete and win!

Side by Side Continental Pheasant Tower Shoot

Back Woods Quail Club offers a traditional pheasant tower shoot on its grounds on Saturday, October 23, in the morning, beginning around 9am. There will be 10 pheasants released per person. Cost will be $250 per person. Limited space available; call for reservation: (843) 546-1466.

Quail Hunt and Deer Hunt Excursions

Quail and deer hunting opportunities will abound on the Back Woods Quail Club’s extensive grounds. Excursions hosted throughout the weekend.

Call the Back Woods Quail Club to reserve your place and learn more.

John Campbell 08-19-2016 07:04 AM

Personally, I'm hoping that one of the "exhibitors" at this year's Fall Southern will once again be the Hog Heaven mobile BBQ van!

Yummm...

Mills Morrison 08-19-2016 08:15 AM

I hope so too.

David Dwyer 08-19-2016 02:25 PM

Hog Heaven is scheduled to be there!! Their perlieu is the best I have ever had! For my northern friends, that is a rice, chicken, sausage, sauteed onion& bacon dish cooked in a big iron pot.

There is also a Parker Bros 28 ga 50 target event Fri-Sat.
You can shoot the 28a ga course for the Backwoods 28 ga event( any 28ga) then shoot it again with a Parker Bros (not Repro) as a separate event. When you do this just tell Lauren you need a card for the Parker Bros 28 ga event.

David

Mills Morrison 08-19-2016 03:06 PM

Attractions in Georgetown

Here are some other things to do in and around Georgetown.

http://chaconsofgeorgetown.com/

http://riverroomgeorgetown.com/

http://www.brookgreen.org/

http://www.ricemuseum.org/

Tom Pellegrini 08-19-2016 11:12 PM

The Maritime Museum is always a good stop to make. A wonderful history of the Port Of Georgetown.

George M. Purtill 08-20-2016 08:09 AM

I love Georgetown- that's my retirement destination. If I can ever retire.....
Lots to do, lots to shoot and great Low Country food, all right on the water.

David Dwyer 08-20-2016 08:46 AM

George
We would love to have you here! One of the other main attractions in Rick Hemmingway and Backwoods Quail Club. George, you might want to leave the Sanders stickers at home though :rotf:

John Campbell 08-20-2016 04:16 PM

Seems like I'm right in step with you folks. I just bought a home on Pawleys Island and will be moving down to SC just as soon as the good lady retires next Spring. As some know, I'll be less than 30 mins. away from Backwoods Quail Club. I believe Mr. Hemingway can expect a new member!

George M. Purtill 08-21-2016 06:26 AM

Mills- is there a Parker hotel or are we on our own?

Mills Morrison 08-21-2016 06:43 AM

It will be the quality inn

Mike Koneski 08-21-2016 09:20 AM

When we were down 2 years ago we had a blast!! Even found a sushi joint on Main St in Georgetown. Did Pawley's Island too. Had a mini high school class reunion as we have a group of friends who got together from Pawley's, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Good times!!

David Dwyer 09-14-2016 09:23 AM

Parker 28ga collection

I just confirmed with Eric Klein that he is bringing his 28a vertical collection up to Backwoods for display Friday and Saturday. He will also bring a couple of duplicates ,. This is a stunning collection and Erik is a great guy. He has, IMHO, the finest American doubles collection in the world.
David

Mills Morrison 09-22-2016 10:22 AM

Rules for Parker / LC Smith events

Fall Southern Side By Side
Challenge Rules

My how time flies! We’re only a month away from this great event, and I thought I’d post a refresher on the rules for the Challenge Events. No significant changes from last year.

LC Smith vs Parker 5 Stand Challenge Event-

Qualifying- Qualifying for this event will take place between Thursday noon, Oct. 20th , and Saturday afternoon October 22nd.
A qualifying venue 5 Stand will be set up in the same location as last year that you can shoot as many times as you desire, with your highest score being your qualifying attempt.

Team Make-Up- Team Parker and Team LC Smith will each consist of 2 squads of 5 shooters (10 persons total per team). One squad will consist of the 5 highest qualifying scores for each team, and it will be designated before consideration is given toward the make up of the second Concurrent Special Slot Squad for each team.

The Special Slot Squad for each team will consist of:

1) The Junior shooter ( 18 years old or younger) with the highest qualifying score.
2) The Lady shooter with the highest qualifying score.
3) The Senior shooter (At least 60 years old but less than 70) with the highest qualifying score.
4) The Super Senior shooter (70 years old or older) with the highest qualifying score.
5) One Wild Card Draw Shooter. This shooter will be chosen from all who attempted to qualify, but did not otherwise make their team. The name of the Wild Card Draw shooter will be randomly drawn from a hat by Rick Hemingway just prior to the shoot-off. In the event that the chosen candidate is unable to shoot for their team for any reason, Rick will pick an alternate whose qualifying score was equal to or less than the originally drawn name.

After the squad consisting of the 5 highest qualifying scores for each team has been designated, the Special Slot Squad will be designated. In the event that either team is unable to field any of the Special Slot Squad positions, Rick Hemingway will designate a shooter for that position whose qualifying score is either equal to or less than the qualifying score of the opposing teams properly filled position. Rick will make these decisions without input from either team.

Final Shoot-off- The final shoot-off for the 5 Stand Challenge Event will be at a time yet to be determined Saturday afternoon. Trophy’s will be distributed to the winning team immediately following the shoot-off.

American Classic Trap Challenge Event- This event is open to teams from all American manufacturers.

This event will be run exactly as last year. 50 target qualifier with winning team chosen by the top 5 highest qualifying scores from each team. There will not be a shoot-off for the Trap Challenge.

Qualifying -One can attempt to qualify as many times as desired, with your highest score being your qualifying attempt. Qualifying will begin Thursday morning, and conclude Saturday afternoon in conjunction with the end of qualifying for the 5 Stand Challenge event.

Lc Smith vs Parker Hammer-Gun Challenge Event-

This challenge event will be contested between 8:00 am and 1:00 pm on Sunday. The rules will be the same as for the Trap Challenge, except that there will only be 30 targets per qualifying attempt, and qualifying will take place with new targets on the 5-Stand challenge venue. The winning team and HOA shooter will be recognized at the General Awards Ceremony on Sunday afternoon.

Fees-

Target Fees- 5 Stand Challenge, 30 targets each, $15.00 per attempt, Thurs, Fri, Sat.
Hammer-Gun Challenge, 30 targets, $15.00 per attempt, Sunday only
Trap Challenge, 50 targets each, $25.00 per attempt., Thurs, Fri, Sat.

Event Entry/Trophy Fees- Each shooter must pay a single entry/trophy fee of $15.00 for each of the challenge events in which they participate. For example, if a shooter was to participate in both the Trap and 5-stand Challenges, they would have to pay a single entry fee of $30.00, regardless of how many times they attempted to qualify.

Sponsorships- As last year, we are gladly accepting Corporate Sponsorships of $50.00 each, and Individual Sponsorships of $25.00 each. If you care to participate, please make out your check to Backwoods Quail Club, and write 2015 Fall Classic Challenge Sponsorship on the Note line. Please mail your sponsorship check to:

Backwoods Quail Club
647 Hemingway Lane
Georgetown, SC 29440

Wishing everyone a safe trip, and lots of practice, before this great weekend!
See you in Georgetown!

Mills Morrison 09-28-2016 03:15 PM

Now that the Rock and the Vintagers are over, I hope everyone is getting ready to come to Georgetown for the Fall Southern.

Eric Eis 09-28-2016 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 202766)
Now that the Rock and the Vintagers are over, I hope everyone is getting ready to come to Georgetown for the Fall Southern.

Wish I could....!

John Campbell 09-28-2016 04:55 PM

A great club.
A great event.
Great vendors
Great People.
Great seafood.
Great weather.

I won't miss it!

UNLESS this Hurricane Matthew mess has made a muck of things... Does Mills have any updates??

Mills Morrison 10-09-2016 05:02 PM

At this time, the Fall Southern has been cancelled. Please keep Rick and Backwoods in your thoughts and prayers as they sustained heavy damage.

We were more fortunate and had minor damage

David Dwyer 10-10-2016 07:00 AM

The coast of SC is a mess!! No power and therefor no gas anywhere. This will take a while to clean up, in my case probably months. Rick called me this morning and is is the same conditions as me. If you remember the 5 stand,it is now in the middle of the road!

I NEED TO SHOOT some clays. Anyone interested in Drakes landing in Nov, maybe a day at The Pond thrown in??
David

George M. Purtill 10-10-2016 08:06 AM

David I am sorry for the destruction you all have suffered.
I'm coming to Kiawah in early November and if their course wasn't destroyed we could get together to shoot there. My son Henry will come down from Clemson and bring guns.

Charles Matthews 10-10-2016 01:15 PM

David,
I am also sorry to hear about your place. I am just down the road from you. I was thinking of Rick's place about 2:00am on Saturday morning as I watched one of my neighbor's oak trees come crashing down.
We were blessed.....not much damage.

Charles

Bill Murphy 10-10-2016 04:58 PM

If Rick is going to cancel, we need more than a sentence on page 3 of a thread on this site. Rick has not said anything on his site yet, Monday, October 9.

George M. Purtill 10-10-2016 05:27 PM

He sent an email to his customers yesterday.

Dean Romig 10-10-2016 06:06 PM

I am very sorry to learn of the damage and destruction in Florida and SC and to your places. I only hope nobody was hurt - things can be replaced or rebuilt... people not so much.

John Truitt 10-10-2016 06:45 PM

for those that are having a hard time accepting the shoot is cancelled I recommend they contact BWQC themselves or check out the southern side by side website.

www.southernsidebyside.com

the cancellation is real folks. as hard as it is to accept it is a fact. I hate it but there has been horrible destruction to the low country area of SC, obviously other areas as well.

Our thoughts and prayers should go out to those folks.

Tom Pellegrini 10-10-2016 06:55 PM

Yes, the Fall Southern is cancelled. Rick will open on Wed. 10/12. He will be able to operate, but the most Georgetown is still without power. Estimate I heard on the local news is one to two weeks for all the power to be restored. As of this morning while I was at Backwoods they did not have power and were operating with a generator. They have no idea when their power will be restored. flooding is the other major issue. Trees are blocking the two different routes that I use to get to Backwoods. That's all the info I have at this time. I hope that helps.
Tom

Bill Murphy 10-11-2016 09:55 AM

I wish a quick recovery for our good friend, Rick, and his staff and family. If I were able, I would be there to help. Linda's nephew is the young assistant chief of the Horry County Fire and Rescue and he also has his hands full.

Mills Morrison 10-11-2016 03:42 PM

Hoping all our members in the Georgetown area fare ok through this mess. The flooding sounds like the biggest threat now