Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   PGCA Member Questions & Announcements (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Passing of Charlie Cleveland (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40843)

charlie cleveland 01-04-2024 11:21 AM

Passing of Charlie Cleveland

Our daddy , Charlie Cleveland passed away peacefully yesterday January 3,2023. He so enjoyed being a part of this group. We have heard many stories that many of you have shared with our dad. We thank you all for befriending our dad. We ask for your prayers.

Thank you
The Charlie Cleveland Family

John Dallas 01-04-2024 11:34 AM

He surely will be missed. An important contributor to this group. RIP Charlie

Stan Hoover 01-04-2024 11:51 AM

Thanks for sharing of his passing with his friends, We will miss Charlie!

May the Lord be with you as a family as you move through this difficult time.

We enjoyed Charlie's posts, he was a big fan of 8 & 10 gauges, I wished we could have had him attend one of our 8 gauge events, he would have loved seeing the Big Guns.

Please accept my condolences,
Stan Hoover

todd allen 01-04-2024 11:56 AM

Wow, this is an absolute punch in the gut!
Though we never met, I have always loved his earthy country boy posts about the simple pleasures of making black powder, hunting "squirrls", working on tractors, and all things country.
I pray for God's peace and comfort to Charlie's family. He will be sorely missed!

Randy G Roberts 01-04-2024 12:01 PM

Charlie brought a special and unique personality to the forum that was admired by all. He will be missed. My condolences to the family.

Daniel Carter 01-04-2024 12:26 PM

AT the moment i am too upset to say anything. He and i were of the same age and army experience and though i never met him i felt a kinship with him.So sorry to hear this.God be with you.

Dean Romig 01-04-2024 12:44 PM

I loved to read Charlie's posts and his wonderful stories of Parkers and his shooting the best targets for his purposes - Dr. Pepper cans. And of his trucks and tractors and his '37 Chevy. What a wonderful man he was! I will miss his colorful country-man speech and his writing. What a terrible loss to his family and friends and to all of his friends here in the PGCA.

I sincerely hope his dear wife Bessie and the whold family can find peace.

- RIP Good Friend

David Noble 01-04-2024 12:48 PM

Charlie was an iconic personality. He will be sorely missed here. May God rest his soul and bring some comfort from the grief to his family.

Larry Stauch 01-04-2024 01:16 PM

Shocking; some things you're never ready to hear. A warm and special tear for a kind man who found something nice to say about any situation.
Prayers granted.

Bill Murphy 01-04-2024 01:45 PM

I can't describe all Charlie has done for the posters on this site. What a great guy, great farmer, great mechanic, great hunter. We all want to hear more about Charlie's life and times.

Randy G Roberts 01-04-2024 02:14 PM

PP Articles of Interest

Some reading from the Parker Pages that you may find of interest. These can be found in the Parker Pages archives:

A Kansas Hunt. Authored by Charlie Cleveland and Calvin Humburg. Summer 2011 issue, page 44.

A Turkey Hunt with Charlie 8 Gauge. Authored by Mike Franzen. Summer 2015 issue, page 24.

Wayne Owens 01-04-2024 02:21 PM

Very sad news. I will certainly miss all his posts.

Ken Descovich 01-04-2024 02:26 PM

What could be said about Charlie Cleveland, well he was a true southern gentleman that touched many of us on this forum, he will sorely be missed.god speed sir and condolences to his family.

keavin nelson 01-04-2024 02:51 PM

Truly a sad day, they broke the mold when they made him. A man of wonderful country wit, amazing wisdom in all things shooting, and ready to help anyone who needed it. We will miss his presence and posts here. God speed and blessings and condolences to his family, may they find peace.

Jim DiSpagno 01-04-2024 02:56 PM

Rest in Peace Charlie. I’ll miss reading his posts and the joy of the simple pleasures he drew from shooting and hunting.

J. Scott Hanes 01-04-2024 03:03 PM

My only knowledge of Charlie Cleveland was through this site. I immediately knew he was a farmer at heart and we could share a kinship that only those raised in farming could know. I appreciated his down-to-earth posts and his love for the rural life. His passing will definitely leave a void in this space. RIP Mr. Charlie Cleveland. God won!

Robert Brooks 01-04-2024 03:05 PM

Charlie was my favorite! May God Bless his family. Bobby

Mike Koneski 01-04-2024 03:14 PM

So sorry to hear this! Charlie was definitely a unique individual. I enjoyed his posts, especially ones related to big bore guns and making black powder. Our prayers go out to your family for peace and healing in your time of grief.

William Woods 01-04-2024 03:34 PM

My condolences to Charlie's family and friends. I too, will miss reading his posts.

Daryl Corona 01-04-2024 04:07 PM

RIP Charley. I'm gettin' kind of tired of reading of all these deaths as of late. May God bless us all for another year amongst friends.

Chuck Bishop 01-04-2024 04:09 PM

What a unique individual! This forum will not be the same without him. Condolences to his family. RIP Charlie.

Reggie Bishop 01-04-2024 04:25 PM

Charlie was a Country Gentleman. A Southern Country Gentleman. He will be missed.

chris dawe 01-04-2024 05:52 PM

Terrible thing to hear today ,always looked forward to ,and read all Charlie's stories

Mike Koneski 01-04-2024 06:12 PM

Cleveland family, please see Charlie’s private message inbox. I just sent a message there for your family.

Dean Romig 01-04-2024 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 402440)
Some reading from the Parker Pages that you may find of interest. These can be found in the Parker Pages archives:

A Kansas Hunt. Authored by Charlie Cleveland and Calvin Humburg. Summer 2011 issue, page 44.

A Turkey Hunt with Charlie 8 Gauge. Authored by Mike Franzen. Summer 2015 issue, page 24.

Thanks very much Randy - I was going to post that very same information
It was great fun editing "A Kansas Hunt" in Vol. 18, Issue 2.

edgarspencer 01-04-2024 07:33 PM

There is nothing I could say that hasn't been said by all the others. I don't think I ever scrolled on by a new post from Charlie, because no matter what kind of day I was having, Charlie always made it better. I truly loved him and his wisdom. He could say so much, and in such a humble, and unambiguous way. We all could take a lesson by the joy he seemed to find, and share with us. I am very sad for his passing.

Frank Cronin 01-04-2024 07:41 PM

Well said Edgar. Charlie will be missed. With deepest sympathy to the Cleveland family as you remember Charlie.

Randy G Roberts 01-04-2024 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 402474)
Thanks very much Randy - I was going to post that very same information
It was great fun editing "A Kansas Hunt" in Vol. 18, Issue 2.

If memory serves in the turkey hunting article read the first paragraph I think it was where Mike calls Charlie and he's in jail. From there you just gotta get comfy and read the story. I bet Mike has some stories. :rotf:

RIP Mr. Charlie.

Jerry Harlow 01-04-2024 08:54 PM

When I read a post from Charlie I was reading from a man that represented Mississippi and the South to me. His stories on opening up regular old guns to 3 1/2" chambers and then shooting them, stories of hunting with his grandkids and how proud he was of them, his stories of going out and coming home empty handed when the turkeys would not come, and the assortment of cars, tractors, and guns he worked on. I remember well the story he told of getting his shots during Army boot camp with the blood running down his leg and being unable to sit down. I just wish he could have posted pictures of himself and his exploits. Maybe the family will with his obituary so we all can have that memory of him. Please keep his membership going and share if you kindly will some of Charlie in action!

todd allen 01-04-2024 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I found going through some PP Archives. Sometimes it helps to put a face with the stories.
Charlie looks like I would imagine. An old country gentleman.
God's speed Charlie!
Attachment 122237

Angel Cruz 01-04-2024 09:26 PM

A very sad moment, I really liked Charlie. My sympathies to the family. Rest in peace Charlie.

Milton C Starr 01-04-2024 09:26 PM

I hate to hear this, I used to have a whole inbox full of messages where me and Charlie talked about all manners related to the 8 gauge. Charlie actually made it possible for me to get my first 8 gauge, I remember once he wanted some of the 8 ga boxes I had and offered to pay for them but I sent him some for free because had Charlie helped me out greatly before. I wish I could find the hand written letter Charlie sent me , I know Charlies health was bad but I wanted to be optimistic about it I will miss Charlie and his insight. There were alot of times when I logged on all I would do was message back and forth with Charlie.

Garry L Gordon 01-04-2024 09:38 PM

It was clear to me that Charlie was a kind soul and a honest-to-God gentleman. All of these posts are a testament to his character. I hope his family find a bit of comfort in what our members have written. For me, I won't sit on a tractor, brush hog the back 40, or call to a turkey without thinking of Charlie. Peace be with his family. I'm sure Charlie is at peace.

CraigThompson 01-04-2024 10:37 PM

Condolences and prayers to Charlie’s family

Mike Poindexter 01-04-2024 10:38 PM

What a loss. A truer man rarely wrote on these pages. Godspeed Charlie.

Phillip Carr 01-04-2024 10:53 PM

Charlie was a good guy. I was fortunate to have Charlie and Bessie come through Tucson years back and spent a few days.
Enjoyed their company. Charlie wanted to see Tombstone, Apache country and Johnny Ringo’s grave.
We managed to do that and made some friends.
I sure will miss Charlies posts.
RIP.

Bill Jolliff 01-04-2024 11:36 PM

Very sad news indeed. We will miss his stories and posts.

Thank you Todd for posting his picture.

Rest in Peace Charlie.

Mills Morrison 01-05-2024 07:48 AM

Charlie was one of my favorites and I will miss him.

Allen Peterson 01-05-2024 07:49 AM

Sad news about Charlie. He always said something nice and his positive and friendly postings will be missed. RIP Charlie

Garth Gustafson 01-05-2024 08:17 AM

What a fine man he was. I’m really going to miss him. RIP Charlie…