Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Quality C (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16862)

Bruce Day 07-17-2015 03:43 PM

Quality C

Top action with Bernard barrels.

Been off for a while. Took my 14th group of Boy Scouts to Philmont. GPS shows we walked 150 miles in 12 days.

Posting these photos to create and maintain interest in Parkers. This is a Quality C gun, not B, but the program will not let me correct the title.

Dean Romig 07-17-2015 04:04 PM

Fabulous wood Bruce - Thanks!!

Mike Franzen 07-17-2015 05:41 PM

Thank you. I was having severe withdrawal from you not posting pics of incredible Parker's.

Gary Carmichael Sr 07-17-2015 11:39 PM

Bruce, has the stock had streak treatment? just wondering, gary

Gary Carmichael Sr 07-17-2015 11:56 PM

I was wrong after looking at it closer it is a fine piece of walnut! Gary

Bruce Day 07-18-2015 08:13 AM

Few More of the C Bernard

streaky thinshell walnut.

There has been a little stock restoration work. See which is more appealing.

chris dawe 07-18-2015 11:19 AM

Beautiful gun Bruce ,that blank is a real eye catcher

Richard Flanders 07-18-2015 11:37 AM

This is my new ptarmigan gun....(-:

Dean Romig 07-18-2015 12:07 PM

Which is nicer - before or after??

There's little question that the 'after' picture illustrates very nicely what a proper restoration can do for the wood on guns that, even through the grime and wear of a century, show the promise of "something in there that begs to come out."

Gary Carmichael Sr 07-18-2015 12:19 PM

With out question in my opinion, the after, it is the same wood just brought back to its original glory, restoration done right as this example shows, is just like washing a car get the dirt and grime off so it looks like it supposed too! Again just my two cents, and you all know what opinions are like, every body has one, Gary

Bruce Day 07-20-2015 07:12 AM

10 Attachment(s)
few more.

And finally, a table of Parker recommended loads for hammer guns.

charlie cleveland 07-20-2015 10:17 PM

beautiful guns... charlie

Erick Dorr 07-20-2015 11:01 PM

Bruce a beautiful restoration. How was the checkering inside the ssbp restored?
Does the trigger guard have the sn on stamped on the wood side as is typical?
Keep em coming.
Erick

Bruce Day 07-21-2015 08:12 AM

A filler is needed. Most stockers make their own with a paste of saw dust and glue, then check over that. Stain helps.

Yes.

Ronald Moore 07-21-2015 09:18 AM

C grade

Who did the restoration on gun?

Ron

Rich Anderson 07-21-2015 01:55 PM

My guess would be Batchelder

Craig Larter 07-21-2015 06:58 PM

I personally liked it better before restoration. Kinda like refinishing the pine floor with poly in a 75 year old hunting cabin. I just like old original stuff, shows more character in my opinion.

Dean Romig 07-21-2015 09:02 PM

But you'll have to admit it's as nice a restoration as you'll ever see.

Craig Larter 07-22-2015 07:44 AM

Yes it is a very nice restoration. Julia's has told me there are many times they check with Turnbull to determine if a gun has been through their shop, the restorations are getting that good.

Mike Franzen 07-22-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Larter (Post 173085)
Yes it is a very nice restoration. Julia's has told me there are many times they check with Turnbull to determine if a gun has been through their shop, the restorations are getting that good.

American craftsman and ingenuity can do anything possible given enough time and motivation. Finest in the world. Personally I like a quality restoration but, I'm a hunter.

Daryl Corona 07-22-2015 10:20 AM

Beautiful guns no question, but for me they lose their "soul", for lack of a better term, when they are refinished. Thanks for posting them Bruce.

Bruce Day 07-22-2015 03:53 PM

Interesting. This gun beat around for quite a while and no one was interested in it, although many had their chances. Now many have commented that they would like to find a gun like that.

I suppose this tells me not to post photos of guns that have had any restoration work. I'll let others post photos of their guns

Rich Anderson 07-22-2015 04:16 PM

Most of the guns you post pics of aren't yours anyway.

Bruce Day 07-22-2015 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 173141)
Most of the guns you post pics of aren't yours anyway.

The photos have been removed.

Neither I or the gun's owner wish to show photos of guns that posters here do not like, so we have decided not to post any more pictures of guns.

Robin Lewis 07-22-2015 04:48 PM

Wow, great logic Bruce? One forum post that is something you take issue with and the other 1100 of us are thrown under the bus! I want to say more but I will restrain myself.

Bob Hardison 07-22-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Day (Post 172769)
Top action with Bernard barrels.

Posting these photos to create and maintain interest in Parkers.

I really enjoy all photos of Parkers posted here especially ones posted by Bruce and some others. This one was especially interesting because of the before and afters. I sometimes wonder about originality of new in the box looking ones. This one was made clear to be restored (beautifully) and I appreciate that. It also serves Bruce's intent for me. Bob

Bruce Day 07-22-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lewis (Post 173144)
Wow, great logic Bruce? One forum post that is something you take issue with and the other 1100 of us are thrown under the bus! I want to say more but I will restrain myself.

Robin you have some fine Parkers Maybe post photos of them so that others may comment as they choose? About a third of the guns I post are mine, the others from a friend who has believed in promoting interest on the Parker. Others have sometimes asked if we are sensitive or something as if sensitivity is somehow bad.

I encourage others with fine Parkers to post photos of their guns and draw whatever ever comments people here deem appropriate.

greg conomos 07-22-2015 06:29 PM

Promoting interest in Parkers is a noble cause....but restricting what can and can't and should and shouldn't be said about them is not the way to get there.

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

Mike Franzen 07-22-2015 06:37 PM

The reality is most gun enthusiasts approve of and admire quality restoration work. Otherwise Bachelder, Del Grego, Turnbull, Edmonds, Merrington , Dawe, Dudley and a whole host of others wouldn't have backlogs out their wazoo. I like seeing photos of any and all Parker's. I like untouched originals and I like wrecks. I like seeing the craftsmanship of someone who can do quality resto work. Bruce if you want to keep interest in Parker's alive then keep posting. The only thing worse than people talking about your pics is people not talking about your pics.

Bruce Day 07-22-2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg conomos (Post 173156)
Promoting interest in Parkers is a noble cause....but restricting what can and can't and should and shouldn't be said about them is not the way to get there.

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

So post photos of your fine Parkers for public discussion.

greg conomos 07-22-2015 07:26 PM

If I had any I would. All mine are absolute junkers. None are fine. And worse I can hardly take photos that make the gun look better than it actually appears to the naked eye, as can some.

More importantly, I wouldn't get offended if someone did or didn't like 'em. It's not like I created any of them, or had anything to do with their condition. I'm just the owner.

edgarspencer 07-22-2015 08:11 PM

Personally, I appreciate seeing Parkers of any condition, restored or otherwise. I genuinely appreciate those who share their collections, whether directly, or through others more adept at posting the pictures. I don't give a flying shirt who owns them or who posts them. What is the point of an infantile statement about who owns them?

Jim DiSpagno 07-22-2015 08:39 PM

I personally think that Col. Day and his friend deserve an apology. Bruce has been more than gracious in his sharing of information, posting very unique and highly collectible Parkers and other fine firearms, and willing to help research others guns. This behavior should be beneath us as an association and if there is a personality difference, then use the PM mode rather than making it public. Thanks for listening and as an aside, Bruce please don't stop posting those beautiful guns. Jim DiSpagno

chris dawe 07-22-2015 09:06 PM

For whatever it is whatever it isn't ,Bruce posts some fine , fine , fine Parkers... to that there is no argument .

I truly look forward to his posts ,his generosity to this forum deserves applause

Thank you Bruce Day!

Mark Ray 07-22-2015 11:07 PM

Bruce, i am a newcomer to the "World of Parker", and a relative newcomer to the affliction of collecting interesting double guns. NOT a newcomer to dusting both kiln fired, and God created flying objects with double guns.

Always interesting to me when the anonymity of the "net" seems to allow some folks to forget the manners that I know that most "God Fearing, Gun Toting, Gentlemen" are innately imbued with.

I for one sincerely appreciate every photo, and tidbit of information that illustrates and
edifies that thing we all have in common.......Twice barrel . Smoke poles....particularly Parkers.

Ill make this a simple plea...and not just to you...

Please continue to share the good, bad, and ugly subjects of our mutual affinity. I will commit to participate with my meager budding collection as well. I think we all welcome critical consideration of all guns presented, but do agree, that the beauty of this association, is the relative absence of critical consideration of each other.....

For What it is Worth

Craig Larter 07-23-2015 07:47 AM

Hey Guys: I didn't intend to upset Bruce Day with my post regarding his Q C hammer gun restoration. Dean asked if folks preferred the gun before or after restoration and I answered that I preferred it before. I should have been less direct and colorful with my statement/post. Sorry I didn't intend to upset anyone or create any bad feelings.

Dean Romig 07-23-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Day (Post 172843)
There has been a little stock restoration work. See which is more appealing.

Actually Craig - I echoed Bruce's "see which is more appealing." (before or after - assumed) as a lead-in for my comments. It wasn't really my own question at all... but I certainly did state my opinion. It is a fine example of a great restoration on a very worthy gun.

Erick Dorr 07-23-2015 02:47 PM

Thanks to Bruce Day and Anonymous Parker Owners

Bruce, thank-you for all your great photos of Parker guns. Doesn't matter who owns them as long as you have permission to post the pictures. We owe a thanks to both you and the owner.
Please look at the number of "Thanks" your photos received and the individual responses of appreciation before you deleted the photos. Don't let a few comments get under your skin when there is overwhelming appreciation for the effort you put forth. The greater majority by far value your contributions. You clearly disclose restoration when appropriate
Also thank-you for answering my questions about the restoration so clearly.
I prefer the wood restoration.
Please keep em coming.
Erick

Bruce Day 07-23-2015 09:40 PM

I own a few guns and will post those on photos when it would be useful.

David Weber 07-24-2015 01:58 PM

Keep the pictures coming.

We all enjoy viewing pictures of classic guns. Those that share their guns with us should be commended.

Comments like "Most of the guns you post pics of aren't yours anyway" are unnecessary, mean spirited and have no place in the discussion forum, IMHO.