Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Loading press for 2 1/2" shells (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28044)

Ronald Scott 08-29-2019 11:49 PM

Loading press for 2 1/2" shells

If you are loading 2 1/2" shells -- just wondering what press you are using?

Harry Collins 08-30-2019 06:37 AM

I use a MEC 600 Jr with a Short Kit. It's slow going, but makes a wonderful shell. The short Kit is swapped out on several 600 Jr's for 2 7/8 10 gauge and 2 1/2 12 & 16 gauge.

Dean Romig 08-30-2019 07:04 AM

I use the 600 Jr. too.

Matt Stolley 08-30-2019 07:20 AM

Same here, 600 Jr.

Eric Johanen 08-30-2019 07:43 AM

10, 12, 16 & 28 all MEC Sizemaster's short kits where appropriate. They do a nice job putting up reloads. With several different guns in the gauges, the re-sizer is a nice feature All trouble free with one exception.. I broke 1 finger off on the 12 collet and a replacement was quickly obtained and back in action (A whole bunch of 12's were run through that machine!) Very good products!

Ronald Scott 08-30-2019 07:47 AM

Next question: I cut down and skived 100 Fiocchi hulls then loaded them with a very light load. After one loading the primer pockets won't hold a new primer. The hulls seem very weak -- they easily crush when crimped and the brass is like tin foil. Do you have a preferred hull?

And: Have you tried using brass hulls? If so, what do you think?

Daniel Carter 08-30-2019 07:57 AM

Ron what gauge are you loading? Some euro hulls in small gauges are one and done I have found. 28 Rios and 410 are the worst in my experience.

Bill Jolliff 08-30-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Scott (Post 280320)
If you are loading 2 1/2" shells -- just wondering what press you are using?

Ron,

I use a MEC Sizemaster in 12 and 20 gauge for loading 2 1/2" shells using RST hulls and a MEC Sizemaster. I like the hull resizer and primer feed feature of the Sizemaster. (I got my 20 gauge form our Chuck Bishop at Mike K's September shoot in PA several years ago. Thanks again Chuck.)

I didn't have a MEC short kit handy so I made a simple one for the final two stations as pictured below. It worked fine for the 12 so I made another one for the 20. Picture of my 12 below.

You'll notice that I have my MEC sitting in a shallow box to capture the loose shot that manage to find a way out of the loader.

Hope this helps.

https://i.imgur.com/zPD0NQB.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/C7KRxFS.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/JtX5xOk.jpg?1

Jim McKee 08-30-2019 09:32 AM

I use the Ponsness Warren 375 for 12b 2.7"5 & 2.5"; 10b. 3.5" & 2 & 7/8";16b & 20 b.
Started with the Mec but quickly changed to the PW and have never looked back!
Jim

Ronald Scott 08-30-2019 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Carter (Post 280338)
Ron what gauge are you loading? Some euro hulls in small gauges are one and done I have found. 28 Rios and 410 are the worst in my experience.

I’m loading 2 1/2” 16 gauge

Ronald Scott 08-30-2019 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McKee (Post 280346)
I use the Ponsness Warren 375 for 12b 2.7"5 & 2.5"; 10b. 3.5" & 2 & 7/8";16b & 20 b.
Jim

I would love to use my PW 375 — how do you load 2 1/2” shells with it?

George Davis 08-30-2019 09:58 AM

2 1/2 Press

My recommendation is find yourself a used Hornady 366 and you can easily make a wonderful 2 1/2 reloader. I have two 2 1/2 inch reloaders a 12 and 16.

William Davis 08-30-2019 12:33 PM

I have a pair of MEC 600s 10 & 16 both with short kits. Lack of sizing is a handicap though. Sizemaster would be a better choice, particularly if you need to load Cheddite hulls.

I size de-prime & prime short hulls on P-W 375 machines. Eject then Complete the load on the 600s. Would sure like to do it all on the Ponsness Warrens. Looked a lot at my PWs think I could convert them to short never tried. 10 would be easy, just trim the 10 G hulls to 2 3/4 instead of 2 7/8. No need to modify the press & could still load 12 other side of the head. . 2nd PW 16 dies share a head with 20 dies, don’t want to loose 20 G ability.

Any tips appreciated .

William

Daniel Carter 08-30-2019 02:36 PM

Ron Iam lucky to have bought a case of 500 early Remington plastic shells for my 16s and reload those. I have had good luck with Remington hulls from Precision, green high base and the black Remington hulls.

John Dallas 08-30-2019 03:00 PM

A rimmed cookie sheet mounted under the loader is a good way to control runaway shot

Jerry Harlow 08-30-2019 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Scott (Post 280336)
Next question: I cut down and skived 100 Fiocchi hulls then loaded them with a very light load. After one loading the primer pockets won't hold a new primer. The hulls seem very weak -- they easily crush when crimped and the brass is like tin foil. Do you have a preferred hull?

And: Have you tried using brass hulls? If so, what do you think?

I use new Cheddites and scavenged RSTs (Cheddites) already 2.5" in length. Have to use a MEC Super Sizer since the metal is paper thin. Get multiple loads from each one on a MEC 600 Jr. with the short kit.

I believe Reloading Specialties still makes a Primer Pocket Peener that works to fix the pocket or you can use the manufacturer's primers.

William Davis 08-30-2019 09:35 PM

The Cheddites Rims are thin MEC 600 will bend them if the small ring is not perfectly clean. I had trouble closing my 10 G guns sometimes. Finally traced it to bent rims. The Ponsness Warren die supports the case during sizing & as designed eject on the loaded shells mouth preserving rims shape.

Problem is PW 375 is not easy to set up for short. I made a Delrin knock out rod that lets me eject a primed not charged case from the inside without touching the fresh primer. That works but is slow.

Brass sounds good but has it’s own set of issues, one that keeps me from brass is cost to load large Volume. 10 I run 400 at a time. 40O brass cases cost more that a good Parker 10

I hit the mother lode 2 1/2 inch 16 Cheddites can live with short case life until they run out.

William

Harold Lee Pickens 08-30-2019 09:52 PM

Mec 600 with short kit, 16 ga. I use RST hulls and Herters/cheddite cut to 2 1/2". I used to get those crushed hulls occasionally until finally getting the right adjustments--now I don't want to change back to 2 3/4" hulls. Probably have 3-400 black RGL 16's, but don't want to change the loader over to 2 3/4"

Ronald Scott 08-30-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McKee (Post 280346)
Jim

Jim -- I have a PW 375 that I could easily get another set of dies for. I just didn't know there was a way to load 2 1/2" shells on it. Is it a simple adjustment of the dies or do you need to order some kind of kit or additional parts? I didn't see mention of anything on their site ....

William Davis 08-31-2019 07:13 AM

Have talked to PW about short loading. They would not consider it. Somebody else may have a different or more recent reception to the question.

I see several obstacles, all could be overcome, I think. Dies are too long. New taper crimp dies are shorter = easy fix. . Press operates on the upward stroke, It would have to go higher if the hull was shorter, linkage issue, could be complicated . May be possible to lower the head instead. Trim 1/4 inch off the vertical rods.

Primer seating is on the downward stroke. Altering the linkage to move higher or head lower may cause issues on the down stoke function.

I have short taper crimp dies & a junk PW 600 that has the same operating rods as a 375 get a bad weather spell this winter may take one of my machines apart and give it a try.

William

Rich Anderson 08-31-2019 07:31 AM

I'm using Mec 9000 in 16, 20, 410 for my 2.5 inch shells and a Sizemaster in 12 ga:banghead: I use only RST hulls.

Jim McKee 08-31-2019 07:45 PM

Ron,
I had PW make me special steel sizing dies for 10 b 2 & 7/8 " that also included a separate die so I could easily insert a 10b case then cut to the 2 & 7/8 inch length. Have loaded these cut cases on my 375 with no problem They also made me steel dies for 12b to load 2.5 " cases and cut die also to cut to proper length from 2.75".
They also prepared the tooling heads for 10b, 12b & 16b and adjusted them for me.
I have always found their service to be excellent.

Big D's idea is excellent "A rimmed cookie sheet mounted under the loader is a good way to control runaway shot"
My wife appreciates your suggestion!!
Jim

Ronald Scott 09-01-2019 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McKee (Post 280464)
Ron,
I had PW make me special steel sizing dies for 10 b 2 & 7/8 " that also included a separate die so I could easily insert a 10b case then cut to the 2 & 7/8 inch length. Have loaded these cut cases on my 375 with no problem They also made me steel dies for 12b to load 2.5 " cases and cut die also to cut to proper length from 2.75".
They also prepared the tooling heads for 10b, 12b & 16b and adjusted them for me.
I have always found their service to be excellent.

Big D's idea is excellent "A rimmed cookie sheet mounted under the loader is a good way to control runaway shot"
My wife appreciates your suggestion!!
Jim

Thanks Jim. I'll give PW a call next week. If they can't supply a short sizing die I see no reason why I couldn't get a machinist to cut it down on a lathe.

I also like the cookie sheet idea -- will use that one for sure.

I'll report back on what PW says. -- Ron

William Davis 09-01-2019 05:21 AM

Will be interested it PWs answer too.

William

Ronald Scott 09-03-2019 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 280485)
Will be interested it PWs answer too.

William

Just got off the phone with PW. I called the main number and spoke to the person who answered. (Didn't have to get transferred to technical support or the machine shop.) She knew immediately what I needed. All you need is two parts to load 2 1/2" shells -- a cut down sizing die (aka shell holder) -- $37.50 and a wad seating sleeve -- $4.85. Total additional charge -- $42.35 You do have to call for these 2 parts as they are not on their website.

Now I just need to find some decent hulls -- not sure I want to bother peening the primer pockets every time I reload.

William Davis 09-03-2019 09:37 PM

Thanks I’m on it tomorrow

William

Bill Jolliff 09-03-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Scott (Post 280687)
Just got off the phone with PW. I called the main number and spoke to the person who answered. (Didn't have to get transferred to technical support or the machine shop.) She knew immediately what I needed. All you need is two parts to load 2 1/2" shells -- a cut down sizing die (aka shell holder) -- $37.50 and a wad seating sleeve -- $4.85. Total additional charge -- $42.35 You do have to call for these 2 parts as they are not on their website.

Now I just need to find some decent hulls -- not sure I want to bother peening the primer pockets every time I reload.

Ron,

I use RST hulls for my 12 and 20 gauge 2 1/2" loads with Winchester primers. There doesn't appear to be a loose fit problem with that combo.

I load them about 4 times and toss them as a cautionary move because of the inside base wad. I haven't had a problem but just being cautious.

I have some extra RST hulls if you'd like to try some. Just pay postage. 12's and 20's.

Anybody else also.

Bill

Paul Harm 09-04-2019 04:11 PM

William, why do you think a 600 won't resize ? They do, and very well. That ring goes around the base and it has to be the right size. And, they're a lot less trouble than the collet system. I have both and can't see one being better than the other unless you want to talk about which one breaks. I think you'll find way more Mec JRs reloading 2 1/2" shells than any other machine. Now if you're going to shoot just 2 1/2" shells, do like Rich and have Mec build a progressive press for you like a 9000. Good luck.

Brett Hoop 09-04-2019 04:57 PM

Went through the 2 1/2" press hunt last winter. MEC would no longer do the 9000. PW would do a 375, they ask for hulls. I fell into a deal on Sizemasters and 600jr so reasonable I couldn't pass them up. They will load just about a perfect shell, most of the time. On occasion I end up with a crimp that isn't perfect on the 20ga, and the next one is, so it must be the hull itself. The 20ga took a lot more fiddling than the 16ga.
All I have used are RST (Cheddite) for 2 1/2" 20 and 16ga.

Ronald Scott 09-06-2019 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Jolliff (Post 280714)
Ron,

I use RST hulls for my 12 and 20 gauge 2 1/2" loads with Winchester primers. There doesn't appear to be a loose fit problem with that combo.

I load them about 4 times and toss them as a cautionary move because of the inside base wad. I haven't had a problem but just being cautious.

I have some extra RST hulls if you'd like to try some. Just pay postage. 12's and 20's.

Anybody else also.

Bill

Thanks Bill -- but I don't load for 12 or 20, just 16 in 2 1/2"

Where do you get RST hulls? I heard they are actually Cheddite?

Matt Stolley 09-06-2019 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=Where do you get RST hulls? I heard they are actually Cheddite?[/QUOTE]
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...productId/2496

Bill Jolliff 09-06-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Scott (Post 280885)
Thanks Bill -- but I don't load for 12 or 20, just 16 in 2 1/2"

Where do you get RST hulls? I heard they are actually Cheddite?

Hi Ron,

Yes, I believe the RST hulls are Cheddite's.

I get my hulls from some guys that I shoot with. In fact, we had a clambake yesterday with some 5 stand shooting as entertainment. I have a big assortment of hulls from that and there are a few RST 2 1/2" 16's in there. Maybe a couple dozen? I'll sort them out later today.

I would be happy to send them to you. I didn't see your name in the PGCA membership roster but if you would like them, send me a PM with you address.

And when I go to Ernie's side by side shoot in June in Friendsville PA, I get some RST hulls there too.

Bill

Ronald Scott 09-10-2019 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My PW tooling was delivered yesterday. Haven’t had a chance to set the press up to load 2 1/2” shells yet but I think it will be pretty routine with the shorter sizing die. The small black piece allows the wad guide to move lower and fit the 2 1/2” hull.

William Davis 09-11-2019 06:22 PM

Here’s a question for PW experts.

Now that I can buy a PW short kit am scratching my head on is it useful to me. 12 & 20 my primary shell I load AA hulls full length exclusively. . 10 & 16 short loads almost all Cheddites . Have Two 375s, one set up for 12 other set up for 20. 16 & 10 I charge & crimp on MEC 600 machines.

Don’t want to load 12 & 20 on the same machine , back to front switch would be needed often.

You think the short parts would mount back side requiring a head reverse to use & not affect the full size shells loading.

That would be 2 3/4 12 front 2 7/8 10 back . 2 3/4 20 front 2 1/2 16 back. Switch to the short shells infrequent, switching not a problem.

Willam

Ronald Scott 09-12-2019 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 281245)
Here’s a question for PW experts.

You think the short parts would mount back side requiring a head reverse to use & not affect the full size shells loading.
Willam

I'm no expert but "the short parts" consist of a shorter sizing die and a shorter wad guide stop. Neither of those "short parts would mount backside." The sizing die slips in and out of the sizing die holder through the last station hole in the loading plate and the wad guide stop is changed by removing the wad guide and exchanging the long one with the short one. The only thing you would gain by mounting an additional set of dies on the backside of the tool head is the time it takes to adjust the two crimping dies -- the dies for 2 3/4" and 2 1/2" shells are exactly the same -- you just adjust them to suit the length of shells you are loading.

Ronald Scott 09-12-2019 12:54 PM

UPDATE: Ponsness/Warren 375 set up for 2 1/2" shells

5 Attachment(s)
I finally found some time to set up my PW for 2 1/2" shells. Things didn't work out as planned. I found out the regular length sizing die actually works better than the shorter one -- it supports the hull better and prevents the hull from collapsing. As far as the short wad guide stop goes, don't bother getting a new one. Just remove the existing one. The wad guide stops on its own when it comes into contact with the hull.

Bottom line: If you have a PW 375 set up for 2 3/4" shells and want to load 2 1/2" shells, the only thing you need to do is adjust the crimp dies and remove the wad guide stop.

Photos from top to bottom:

1) once fired 2 1/2" hull in short sizing die.
2) loaded 2 1/2" shell with crushed hull caused by crimping pressure on unsupported hull.
3) once fired 2 1/2" hull in regular (2 3/4") sizing die. (note additional support)
4) loaded 2 1/2" shell in regular 2 3/4" sizing die (ejects from sizing die perfectly fine).
5) finished 2 1/2" shells loaded without the use of additional "short parts."

William Davis 09-12-2019 02:55 PM

Thanks that’s what’s needed to see. Guess I should explain “back side “ for those not familiar with Ponsness Warren machines.

375 head has die mounting holes all around the round head. Enough for one set on the front, another set in reserve on the back. To switch gages take the head off & reverse, front set becomes the reserve, back set moved to the front becomes the active loading set. No need to re-adjust dies. You do have to switch the bottom shell holder out for the new gauge. Wad Guide needs to be gauge switched too.

I should add PW had 2 types of sizing dies. Older type are full finished crimped shell length for 2 3/4 inch, they won’t allow crimping 2 1/2 inch. New type “taper crimp” is shorter allowing the new style knock out station to put a little taper on the finished hull. One in your photo looks very much like a taper crimp. Or they may have 3 lengths now.

Think I will go ahead and order a Short 10 die & experiment with my 12 G set up machine.,

William