Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Single Barrel Trap Shotguns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Single barrel trap (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3971)

Thomas L. Benson Sr. 03-28-2011 05:42 PM

Single barrel trap

Would like ser. no look up on 177819 Thanks Thomas L. Benson Sr.

Dave Suponski 03-28-2011 05:52 PM

Tom, It's in the book as an S(probably an SC) with 32" barrels and straight grip stock.

Thomas L. Benson Sr. 03-28-2011 06:52 PM

Dave: What determins S.b. from S.C. is it the amount of engraving and the quality of the wood. Thanks thomas.

Dave Suponski 03-28-2011 07:26 PM

Tom, Yes... Engraving,checkering and quality of wood. I believe that early SB and SC guns had Titanic marked barrels but later guns had Acme marked barrels in both grades. Peerless Steel was used on SA and SAA grade guns.

John Dunkle 03-28-2011 07:37 PM

Moved to the Parker SBT Forum ;)

John

Dave Suponski 03-28-2011 08:10 PM

I thought I felt the earth move.....I hate it when you do that.....:rotf:

PAUL PLUNKETT III 03-28-2011 09:07 PM

Tom here are a couple pics of typical SB engraving and checkering. Paul:)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...arkerSB005.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...arkerSB007.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...arkerSB006.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...arkerSB001.jpg

Thomas L. Benson Sr. 03-28-2011 11:15 PM

Wow. This is great a new forum on SBT'S. I now can get a education on single barrel parkers. I looked at ser. no 177819 today and i believe after your great pictures that i was looking at a SB. I will try to get a closer look in a couple days. Thanks Thomas L. Benson Sr.

Dean Romig 03-28-2011 11:24 PM

Paul, do you shoot your SB? She's real purty!

PAUL PLUNKETT III 03-29-2011 08:22 AM

Dean I no longer own the gun but I did shoot several rounds with it when I did.
I let it go in a moment of weakness while chasing a nice Fox. :banghead:

Dean Romig 03-29-2011 08:42 AM

I hope you got the Fox... and I hope it was worth giving up that fabulous SB.

PAUL PLUNKETT III 03-29-2011 12:36 PM

Dean I did manage to pick it up. Its a J grade A H Fox SBT in near new condition with Original hang tag(See bottom gun in pick below).The only negative on the Fox is the stock has been cut and a extension added. The Ithaca 4E and L C Smith Specialty are a couple other nice SBT's.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...T/DSC_0409.jpg

Dean Romig 03-29-2011 12:58 PM

Very nice SBT's Paul.

Thanks for your contributions to this new forum page.

Steve McCarty 09-29-2011 09:47 PM

I shoot my SBT and love it. I'll post a pic in a few days. The gun is original, but with what I believe is a replacement beavertail forearm. The wood doesn't match the butt stock very well.

No pistol grip and very little drop. I've replaced the original Silvers pad with a new Silvers pad. No safety, don't you love it? No more "oops, sorry". Sweet trigger. Ejector. I think mine is an SC since the engraving doesn't look as nice as the SB shown. But I'll tell you what a Parker SBT gun is: it is one heck of a trap gun!

Dave Suponski 09-29-2011 10:53 PM

Yes they are!

Steve McCarty 10-05-2011 06:27 PM

Here's my Parker SBT with an 177,8xx SS#. It has a 32 inch tube and straight stock. I bought the gun from the son in law of the original owner who was a tycoon in http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotguns003.jpgbusiness.

Steve McCarty 10-05-2011 06:29 PM

Here's another picture of my SBT http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotguns009.jpg

Steve McCarty 10-05-2011 06:32 PM

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotguns001.jpg

This is the under barrel table of the SBT.

Bill Murphy 10-05-2011 07:59 PM

When my single barrels are sold, I hope "they" refer to me as a tycoon.

Steve McCarty 10-05-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 51478)
When my single barrels are sold, I hope "they" refer to me as a tycoon.

Okay. You're a tycoon. Now you can live in peace.

Steve McCarty 10-05-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McCarty (Post 50946)
I shoot my SBT and love it. I'll post a pic in a few days. The gun is original, but with what I believe is a replacement beavertail forearm. The wood doesn't match the butt stock very well.

No pistol grip and very little drop. I've replaced the original Silvers pad with a new Silvers pad. No safety, don't you love it? No more "oops, sorry". Sweet trigger. Ejector. I think mine is an SC since the engraving doesn't look as nice as the SB shown. But I'll tell you what a Parker SBT gun is: it is one heck of a trap gun!

I posted some pictures of my SBT, but I'm not proud of them. I'll make some more and delete these, but it'll take me a week or two to get to it. Moving. I hate moving, but don't we all?

Gun photography is difficult, as those who do it well know.

I'd also like to join your association. How do I do that anyway?

As an aside; I find it difficult to negociate this site. Not terribly difficult, just hard to do well.

Robin Lewis 10-05-2011 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McCarty (Post 51495)

I'd also like to join your association. How do I do that anyway?

As an aside; I find it difficult to negociate this site. Not terribly difficult, just hard to do well.

Go to www.parkerguns.org and on the left side find the link "Membership" and click on it. Follow the instructions and you should be all set. If you have any problems post back here and I am sure someone will help you gain membership. Glad to have you!

Dean Romig 10-05-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve McCarty (Post 51495)

After you've done it for a while you'll find it extremely simple to negotiate this website. I find it to be one of the easiest websites I visit... "user friendly" so to speak.

Welcome aboard Steve!

Steve McCarty 10-08-2011 01:44 PM

Welp, I've just joined the association.

Went to the store where my GH is on lay-away. I'll pick it up on the 15th. Say, I studied the engraving. I was expecting to see a Smoe like bird, but, while a little hard to see due to grime, the engraved bird looks like it is laying flat on the ground dead!!! Did someone at Parker have a sense of humor? Or am I going blind?

Bore is mirror.

I'm excited.

Robin Lewis 10-08-2011 01:49 PM

Steve, when you get her home post some pictures, I would love to see that bird!

Steve McCarty 10-08-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Lewis (Post 51686)
Steve, when you get her home post some pictures, I would love to see that bird!

I'll post a pic as soon as I can, but it'll be a week or two. I'm excited as a kid waiting for Christmas. Isn't that great! I'm old. I think that one should be making payments for a new Parker continously! Since they are expensive you'd get one new gun a year.

The trouble is I'm getting so old that when I pass a cemetery I feel homesick.

Steve
Here's another pic of my SBT. This is a SBT thread after all!http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotguns147.jpg

Steve McCarty 10-08-2011 02:15 PM

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotguns139.jpg

I promise to no long post out of focus pictures. Using a different and better camera now than I was using when I snapped this one.

When I bought this gun is was totally covered with a thin coat of orange rust. I very lightly touched the surface with Liquid Wrench soaked 0000 steel wool and you can see what happened. I have not worked the metal any harder than that, so there is some blemish mixed with case color. I'm not going to removed either. There is some pitting on the barrel and rib, most on the rib, but the gun is as it will remain. I love the silvery slate gray/blue of the tube, which is 32 inches long.

How does my SBT stack up with others?

Steve

Steve McCarty 10-08-2011 03:45 PM

Concerning the engraving on my SBT. I have seen this heart motif (on the underside of the receiver in front of the trigger guard) on Parkers before. Probably the same engraver. However I have not seen so much shading. The engraving seems almost bold as opposed to feathery with fine detail. However the shading makes the work immediately easy to see at first glance and is pleasing.

Dean Romig 10-08-2011 04:50 PM

Steve, first let me say "Welcome to the PGCA!" :smiley7:

Your SC's engraving is very similar to the engraving on a lot of the other SC's we see.
I'm surprised it came out as well as it did, considering the fine rust and 0000 steel wool.... Very Nice!

Steve McCarty 10-08-2011 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 51701)
Steve, first let me say "Welcome to the PGCA!" :smiley7:

Your SC's engraving is very similar to the engraving on a lot of the other SC's we see.
I'm surprised it came out as well as it did, considering the fine rust and 0000 steel wool.... Very Nice!

Thank you very much.

If you look closely you can see some scaring caused by the rust. Looks like the gun had smallpox. I worked very slowly not wanting to remove the case colors, which are pretty bright. 40%? Liquid Wrench does a pretty good job of penetrating the rust and lifting it off. The steel wool just brushes it away.

I have the original Silvers pad, which was smashed flat and flaking away. The replacement Silvers pad must look like the old one, when it was new.

Beaver tail forearm must be a replacement. I read that Parker did that, and I've seen splinter forearms on SBT guns. Nor do the wood colors match very well. Way off actually.

Not sure what to do about the chip missing from along side the lower tang. It's almost 2" long, but it's not that wide, so I think I'll let it be. It is an old gun after all.

SM

Bill Murphy 10-08-2011 07:06 PM

You haven't shown us the views of the forearm. Let's see those.

Steve McCarty 10-08-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 51714)
You haven't shown us the views of the forearm. Let's see those.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...hotguns144.jpg

Okay, here's one. Not very exciting however.

Dean Romig 10-08-2011 07:57 PM

Doggone nice checkering and the latch is obviously the original.

Steve McCarty 10-09-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 51724)
Doggone nice checkering and the latch is obviously the original.

Thank you for your comments. The forearm has seen some use. Yes the checkering looks find to me, sharp points and lots per inch. This gun was shot pretty heavily. Where it was held the bluing is gone. I bought it from the son in law of the original owner, who was a successful businessman. If I named his product you'd know who I'm talking about.

So the gun hasn't gone through many hands. Oh, I suppose the fellow who owned it might have been a second owner, but it is unlikely. His son in law inherited all of his guns including a battery of Winchester Model 21's, rifles, etc. They were all stolen except for this gun and another, a pistol. What a crying shame! I hope there is a special place in hell for people who steal fine guns.

Steve McCarty 10-21-2011 07:14 PM

As I compare this wonderful SB to my SC it is easy to see the more deluz engraving on the former. Not that my gun has fleas.

What is to me the most amazing part of the SBT's, is how adept they are at breaking clay pigeons! It must be that mine just happens to fit me like a glove.

Dave Suponski 10-21-2011 07:26 PM

Really want to see what these wonderful guns can do?....Let the targets run out there and crush them as they drop.

Steve McCarty 10-23-2011 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Suponski (Post 52703)
Really want to see what these wonderful guns can do?....Let the targets run out there and crush them as they drop.

I've always thought that those falling shots are the hardest. One takes them after one has already missed once, and then if there's a shell in the other barrel you take a hope shot of that rapidly falling pigeon. You never hit them. Least I don't.

Dave Suponski 10-24-2011 10:16 AM

At my local(home) club yesterday we were joined by the Yale Skeet/Trap team for a little friendly competition. There were 4 girls and 6 guys. A very nice group of young adults. We shot mixed squads of them and us. One of my rounds of trap I shot with 4 four of them. I shot a 23 which was right in the middle of the pack. When it was over one of the young lady shooters asked "What kind of gun is that?" I told her it was a Parker Single Barrel Trap gun. She said "Boy that gun sure reaches out there". I told her "sure does" and it was made in 1935. She just shook here head and walked away.

The highlight of our day was that Mattie who is 15 and the son of one members competed in a 27 yard "wipe your eye" event with 4 other club members and 5 of the Yale team and beat them all! He had a day he will never forget. The guys and gals of the Yale team gave him a rousing ovation at the end. These young people showed some real class and it was great to see a college sponsored team.

Steve McCarty 10-24-2011 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Suponski (Post 52939)
At my local(home) club yesterday we were joined by the Yale Skeet/Trap team for a little friendly competition. There were 4 girls and 6 guys. A very nice group of young adults. We shot mixed squads of them and us. One of my rounds of trap I shot with 4 four of them. I shot a 23 which was right in the middle of the pack. When it was over one of the young lady shooters asked "What kind of gun is that?" I told her it was a Parker Single Barrel Trap gun. She said "Boy that gun sure reaches out there". I told her "sure does" and it was made in 1935. She just shook here head and walked away.

The highlight of our day was that Mattie who is 15 and the son of one members competed in a 27 yard "wipe your eye" event with 4 other club members and 5 of the Yale team and beat them all! He had a day he will never forget. The guys and gals of the Yale team gave him a rousing ovation at the end. These young people showed some real class and it was great to see a college sponsored team.

Watching young people shooting and having fun brings a tear to my eye. Great story.

Steve McCarty 03-13-2012 05:24 PM

I have shot my SC, but just joined a trap club and plan to shoot it more, probably 200 plus rounds a month. I also shoot skeet, but not with a Parker.

My SC has a lot of "float" it shoots high, so the bird is floating pretty high above the line of sight when the clay breaks, which I like. It makes it easier to see and then follow the clay. In addition I tend to watch the bird and not the gun barrel. So I see the bird follow it with my eye, the gun follows along and it almost shoots itself. I have never shot a gun at trap that I like better.

While I have never weighted by SBC it feels pretty light, but the new Silver's pad seems to soak up felt recoil pretty well. Gun has a 32" very full choke tube. It also ejects which I do not like, I'd rather pluck out the empty with my fingers and then pocket it, but as it is now, after a round, I have to race around picking up empties.

My gun is an early one with the screw high on the right side of the receiver which gives access to the floating firing pin. Have not broken one yet.

Everyone in my club show up with extremely expensive new trap and or skeet guns. I am the only one shooting an old Parker. My GH is full and full and someday I'll try it at trap too, but the comb is pretty low so it will tend to shoot low and it will likely have very little "float" which means I'll miss more birds.