Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Non-PGCA Shooting Events, Shows, and Conventions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   New Years Day Shoot - Major Waldron's - Barrington NH (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20305)

Pete Lester 12-07-2016 12:17 PM

New Years Day Shoot - Major Waldron's - Barrington NH

We are all set to have our annual New Year's Day shoot on 1/1/2017. The club is making arrangements so that we will have the facility to ourselves that Sunday and moving their regularly scheduled skeet shooting to the following day which is the observed holiday.

The Shotgun house is open and warmed up by 8AM, we will shoot until everyone has had enough. I will set up one field for trap and one field for skeet. It is not a competition it is a gathering of friends and guns, if you want to keep score I will give you a score sheet. Rounds of both Trap and Skeet will be at the non-member price of $5 per round.

I am hoping that we will be treated to great food as we have in the past, if you are inclined please bring a dish or dessert.

After lunch we can shoot a couple of trap shooting games as we have in the past, a 10 gauge backing up a 12ga protection and an elimination aka Annie Oakley.

Directions to the club are here: http://majorwaldron.com/directions/

Let's hope for good weather, in the past we have seen everything from 0 degree wind chill and occasional white out to a balmy near 70 degree day.

Shoot me questions as you have them.

Pete Lester 12-30-2016 09:22 AM

When I visited the club on Thursday there was quite a bit of blue ice in the parking lot and on the skeet/trap fields. Last night we had a mix of rain, sleet and snow so there could be more ice by Sunday. If you have a pair of ice creepers it would probably be a good idea to bring them to the shoot, better safe than sorry.

Dean Romig 12-30-2016 09:30 AM

Please enter the parking lot with care so as not to skid into either of the two Porsches or any other fine imported sports cars.

Hey Robin, speaking of Porsches, you're coming, right?... you're only twenty minutes away. It'll give you a chance to show folks that fabulous B Lifter 16-gauge.

Robin Lewis 12-30-2016 09:34 AM

Yep, I'm going but the Porsche stays home. I'll drag the B lifter over that I have listed for sale here; who knows, maybe someone will bring a checkbook?

Dean Romig 12-30-2016 09:46 AM

I sure hope so.... I'm really losing my will-power the more I hold it. :envy:

I'll bring my 'new' 16-gauge D Lifter to trade for it :corn:
(I think they were both engraved by the same person)

Robin Lewis 12-30-2016 09:53 AM

I hope its OK to do this; I have a small stack of DGJ and Shooting Sportsman magazines that I'll bring that anyone can have for the taking.

Mike Kobos 12-31-2016 10:44 AM

Count me in. After a week of loud ( but wonderful) grandkids - I'm ready.
Mike Kobos

Dean Romig 12-31-2016 10:47 AM

It will be good to see you there Mike!

allen newell 12-31-2016 12:00 PM

The weather forecast I'm looking at shows a possible 1-3 inches of snow after midnight tonight. What are you folks who live in and around Barrington showing? Maybe your local forecast is a bit more refined

allen newell 12-31-2016 01:17 PM

In addition to a 20 ga Trojan that I am bringing up for sale at this event, I am also brining along a 20 ga MEC Grabber reloader for sale ($100 for this reloader) Reloader is fully functional, just surplus to my needs. It's a steal at this price.

Robin Lewis 12-31-2016 01:33 PM

I had no idea my previous post would generate PM's but just to let you know the DGJ's have been taken. FYI - the years were 2003 - 2006.

Dean Romig 12-31-2016 03:24 PM

As far as the weather is concerned.... We Don't Care. We've shot in far, far worse at this annual event.

Pete Lester 01-01-2017 04:18 PM

Well the 8th annual Parker Gun New Years Day shoot is in the books. We had great weather, sunny skies, light winds and 40 degree temperature. We had 20 Parker gunners in attendance who shot skeet, trap, a 10ga backing up a 12ga 27 yard Protection and an Annie Oakley aka Elimination from the 27 yard line. We also had a TON of food, donuts, cupcakes, Lasagna, Venison Chili and Venison Stew plus cold cuts, cheese for sandwiches.

The winning two man team in the Protection was Rick Weik and Bob Weeman. In the elimination the last three men standing were Larry Frey, Bob Fabian and Allan McClane, the club was nearly out of birds by the time Larry Frey took out Bob Fabian for the win.

Frank Cronin treated everyone to some tinnitus shooting his 5 Frame Hammer 10ga with Blackpowder loads.

Happy 2017!!!

Pete Lester 01-01-2017 04:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some pictures from todays event.

Pete Lester 01-01-2017 04:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more pictures.

Pete Lester 01-01-2017 04:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and more pictures.

Frank Cronin 01-01-2017 06:10 PM

Cool video Pete!

Russell E. Cleary 01-03-2017 09:27 AM

I am still reveling in what a great outing it was. Thank you Pete L. and Scott K. for organizing this event.
Unexpected high-lights for me were holding (and beholding) a B-Grade lifter (thank you, Robin L.; and shooting a 28 Gauge Parker (thank you Dean. R.).
There truly is life (outdoor fun; edifying passions indulged; the Parker mystique; camaraderie) in the "effete" Northeast, in "dead" of Winter.
REC

Pete Lester 01-03-2017 09:30 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pictures of the NYD shoot courtesy of Russell Cleary's friend Kathleen G.

Pictures:

1. Trap Squad
2. Shotgun Shack
3. Dan Carter
4. L to R Frank Cronin, Glenn Watts, Bill Janelle
5. L to R Larry Frey, Mike Kobos
6. Me videotaping Frank Cronin shooting his 5 Frame hammer 10
7. Frank Cronin burning some black powder
8. Dean Romig

Pete Lester 01-03-2017 09:33 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pictures from Russell and Kathleen.

Pictures:

1. Coach Larry Frey and Student Dean Romig with his head off the stock :-)
2. Larry Frey
3. Dave Suponski sizing up Larry Frey
4. Dave Suponski and Larry Frey.

Pete Lester 01-03-2017 09:35 AM

6 Attachment(s)
The final set of pictures from Russell and Kathleen.

Pictures:

1. L to R Herb Hewlett speaking, listening intently Dan Carter, Russell Cleary, and myself.
2. Larry Frey and myself
3. L to R Herb Hewlett, Bob Fabian, Rick Weik
4. George (can't miss 'em) Purtill and myself
5. Glenn Watts pulling targets for the 10ga backup shoot
6. Me shielding can't miss 'em from the camera, Bob Fabian in the background.

Pete Lester 01-03-2017 09:39 AM

Thank you Russell Cleary and Kathleen G. for attending the shoot, taking pictures, and for bringing sandwich's and cupcakes.

Daniel Carter 01-03-2017 09:42 AM

Pete for us new guys with poor hearing and memories would it be to much trouble to put names on the photos?

Pete Lester 01-03-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Carter (Post 208751)
Pete for us new guys with poor hearing and memories would it be to much trouble to put names on the photos?

Done.

Russell E. Cleary 01-03-2017 10:03 AM

You are welcome to the pictures I sent in. But the comely photographer who accompanied me was actually Miss Kathleen G., a descendant of New Hampshire Yankee hunting and farming stock.

Before her father passed away in his 90s (a WW II SeeBee, Pacific Theatre) I recorded his experiences going to a one-room school-house in rural NH.

The pupils hunted on the way to and from school, and at RECESS! (No fellow students were ever shot.)

I will pass your thanks on to her.

REC

REC

scott kittredge 01-03-2017 11:12 AM

Miss Kathleen G., a descendant of New Hampshire Yankee hunting and farming stock.

Before her father passed away in his 90s (a WW II SeeBee, Pacific Theatre) I recorded his experiences going to a one-room school-house in rural NH.

The pupils hunted on the way to and from school, and at RECESS! (No fellow students were ever shot.)

I will pass your thanks on to her.

REC

REC[/QUOTE]

Town please in NH??

Russell E. Cleary 01-03-2017 12:26 PM

rural New Hampshire, 1930s

Scott:

The town in New Hampshire that Richard Gray, born in 1918, grew up and attended school in was Northfield. The family lived near Sondogarty Pond and owned no automobile, so he would have walked to the one-room school house.

I asked him what the teacher was doing while they were outside at recess shooting. He said that the teacher was inside correcting papers or eating lunch; and so long as she heard gun-fire she considered all was well. It was only if the gunfire stopped that she suspected they might be doing something they shouldn't, and she would go outside to investigate.

All this is implausible to modern ears, but I taped him saying this at the kitchen table some years ago; and once offered a copy to the NRA, which seemed not too interested.

REC