Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Website & Forum - Help & Assistance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Weird Spam just received from Forum (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10022)

George M. Purtill 03-21-2013 02:31 PM

Weird Spam just received from Forum

I just received what looked like a pos to a thread i had posted to but it was about poker.
Did anyone get this?

Chuck Bishop 03-21-2013 03:19 PM

I received 2 separate notices that a reply had been made to posts that I replied to. I didn't click on any links, just deleted the e-mail. Something about poker.

wayne goerres 03-21-2013 03:42 PM

Spam is titled whats it worth for anybody that wants to just delete it.

John Dunkle 03-21-2013 03:49 PM

Take it as a "back-handed" complement... As this site grows, it more noticed by spammers - and therefore.. Well, you get the idea.. Anyway - it was a spambot that I deleted as soon as it started up. I also deleted all the posts it automated inside a few threads...

Consider it as "putting out the trash"..

:cheers:

John D.

Dave Suponski 03-21-2013 03:53 PM

Thank You Mr. D........Sir..:)

Rich Anderson 03-21-2013 04:53 PM

JD (John Dunkel NOT Jack Daniels:rotf:) is on the job. Just like Homeland security he keeps us (well our majic machines anyway) safe from the evils of spam:clap:

wayne goerres 03-21-2013 06:38 PM

I am still trying to figure out why they call it spam.

John Dunkle 03-21-2013 06:39 PM

Ready? Here ya' go...

The word "Spam" as applied to Email means "Unsolicited Bulk Email".

Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.
A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk.

Unsolicited Email is normal email
(examples: first contact enquiries, job enquiries, sales enquiries)

Bulk Email is normal email
(examples: subscriber newsletters, customer communications, discussion lists)

Technical Definition of Spam

An electronic message is "spam" if (A) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (B) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent.

Eric Eis 03-21-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dunkle (Post 101238)
Ready? Here ya' go...

The word "Spam" as applied to Email means "Unsolicited Bulk Email".

Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable permission for the message to be sent. Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of messages, all having substantively identical content.
A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk.

Unsolicited Email is normal email
(examples: first contact enquiries, job enquiries, sales enquiries)

Bulk Email is normal email
(examples: subscriber newsletters, customer communications, discussion lists)

Technical Definition of Spam

An electronic message is "spam" if (A) the recipient's personal identity and context are irrelevant because the message is equally applicable to many other potential recipients; AND (B) the recipient has not verifiably granted deliberate, explicit, and still-revocable permission for it to be sent.

So John why do they call it "spam" should be called "UBE"you computer guys sometimes just don't make any sense.:whistle:

John Dunkle 03-21-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Eis (Post 101240)
So John why do they call it "spam" should be called "UBE"you computer guys sometimes just don't make any sense.:whistle:

Actually - it used to be - way back when....

And an e-mail program used to be called MUA (Mail User Access) - as with Prodigy, FIDO and other character based systems - your MUA would determine what e-mails you could read....

Best to ya' Eric!

John

Eric Eis 03-22-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dunkle (Post 101249)
Actually - it used to be - way back when....

And an e-mail program used to be called MUA (Mail User Access) - as with Prodigy, FIDO and other character based systems - your MUA would determine what e-mails you could read....

Best to ya' Eric!

John

Ok, so it use to be called that, so where did they come up with the name "spam" ? Just trying to understand the "techies" mind...:) I know it's probably imposible to understand how your guys minds work....!

Robin Lewis 03-22-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Eis (Post 101289)
Ok, so it use to be called that, so where did they come up with the name "spam" ? Just trying to understand the "techies" mind...:) I know it's probably imposible to understand how your guys minds work....!

Here is the history of "spam" (http://www.thocp.net/reference/internet/spam.htm ) if you are really interested :shock: But, be aware that if you are not a techie, you may no get much out of this. In quick summary, nobody knows for sure where or why "spam" originated with regard to email.

Mark Ouellette 03-22-2013 08:16 AM

How about from the Korean War?

Spam was what troops were frequently fed but none them wanted it!

wayne goerres 03-22-2013 09:26 AM

Wow. Kind of wished that I hadn't asked.

Jack Cronkhite 03-22-2013 12:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Eis (Post 101289)

In an effort to answer Eric's plea

Spam defined with origin ascribed CLICK

Extensive wikipedia dissertation on spam CLICK

A clip from the (in)famous Monty Python sketch CLICK

Evolution from culinary delight to computer disgust

John Dunkle 03-22-2013 12:41 PM

Wow - I haven't read all the replies yet (but I will ;) )...

Anyway, in the early 90's e-mail SPAM actually started.... I started my first e-mail list discussion in '94 - and recently before that, another list manager had accidentally "copied" all his list users - probably about 200 - 400 folks - with a single unsolicited message. There was an event on DARPA as well, just before that as well...

The name "SPAM" grew out of two common beliefs that it would be pervasive (which it certainly is), and you never know what it really contains until you open it.. Anyway - a favorite TV show (UK) - was Marty Python's Flying Circus and it had a famous clip about SPAM (I'll link it below if I can find it) - so, UBE was "nicknamed" SPAM amongst techies, and the trade press "sealed the deal" (I believe it was Digital Review, now defunct - which did another follow up story to the DARPA UBE and referred to it as "SPAM")...

Anyway...

Dean Romig 03-22-2013 12:51 PM

I LOVE IT !!! Thanks John!

wayne goerres 03-22-2013 02:17 PM

There is absolutly no end to the educational value of this forum. It transends all others.

John Dunkle 03-22-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne goerres (Post 101334)
There is absolutly no end to the educational value of this forum. ....

And some of the information isn't really all that relevant, either..?? HA! :eek:

For example - if you look at the Fidonet and Echomail message sending structures - those were the precursor to forums such as these... I remember logging into my first Fidonet BBS in the mid-80s... And, sending my first e-mail with an attachment with Echomail...

My first "personal computer" computer was a Tandy TRS-80 Model I in 1978.. 4KB of memory and the storage was a cassette tape recorder and a 300 BAUD modem for "communications" (you used the telephone handset to make the connection??!!!). I would program the Z80 in machine language (Zilog Z80, CP/M and basic..)

Before that - I used to write programs on a PDP-11, while in high school.....?

Ahhh - the good old days ;)

John

Dean Romig 03-22-2013 03:32 PM

What, no Commodore 64?

Jack Cronkhite 03-22-2013 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Dunkle (Post 101342)
...Before that - I used to write programs on a PDP-11, while in high school.....?

Ahhh - the good old days ;)

John

The Techno-Dunkle's go back many generations

Dave Suponski 03-22-2013 03:42 PM

I love it!!!!:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Tom Carter 03-22-2013 03:43 PM

Help

Whar did John Say???????? Tom

John Dunkle 03-22-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 101345)
What, no Commodore 64?

Nope - I went to an original IBM PC (dual diskette drives) in the early 80's - then to the PC XT...

JD

Rich Anderson 03-22-2013 03:56 PM

John your first computer is probably the equivelent to a PH 16 O frame or any other damascuss or twist barreled Parker:rotf::rotf:

Daryl Corona 03-22-2013 04:42 PM

John;
I honestly understand Latin and Italian better than that alphabet soup of letters. Thanks for geeks :eek: like you to make it work with just a click. BTW- I like spam... sliced, fried and served on a roll with a fried egg.

John Dallas 03-22-2013 04:49 PM

On the east coast, you can buy "Taylor Pork Roll". Same ground-up pig as SPAM, but more socially acceptable (and it is GOOD!

Daryl Corona 03-22-2013 04:51 PM

Yeah... We got scrapple too. Yum!

Dave Suponski 03-22-2013 05:01 PM

Here we go again with that Scrapple stuff.

John Dallas 03-22-2013 05:05 PM

Scrapple is at the top of the most important food groups. YUM!

John Dunkle 03-22-2013 05:24 PM

What Big D said.

In fact - Scrapple is second only to - well - bacon... And as all know, bacon goes with "whatever you got"..?? Anything from Pancakes to Potatoes. Apples to Zucchini... You name it - bacon is just, well - simply - better...

Scrapple? A very close runner up...... ;)

Just from my end of the telescope....

John

Jack Cronkhite 03-22-2013 08:54 PM

Bacon yummmhhh. I don't remember the restaurant but I was RV'ing through N Central US on my way to Ontario and they were having a celebration of bacon. They offered a bacon ice cream sundae. Well, I had to have one of those - just because. Weird enough to be good :shock:

Dean Romig 03-22-2013 09:05 PM

Jack - I had a pineapple and onion pizza tonight... weird but great!

John Dunkle 03-22-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 101399)
Jack - I had a pineapple and onion pizza tonight... weird but great!

Without bacon??? It could have been a greater pizza with bacon!!

Just sayin'

;)

John

(BTW - bacon ice cream??? Ummm - Jack, I'm not so sure, but - well - who am I to question??!! ;) )

Jack Cronkhite 03-22-2013 09:10 PM

Just add bacon and voila - best pizza ever
http://photos.sparkpeople.com/1/4/l142923262.jpg

Dean Romig 03-22-2013 09:26 PM

Okay, next time...

George M. Purtill 03-22-2013 09:36 PM

I cant believe I started this thread.

Eldon Goddard 03-23-2013 12:28 AM

I like spam, but it would be much better if they made a version with less salt. They have one out but it is almost have turkey. What is with that? One of my favorite hobbies, other than talking to you guys about parkers, is home making bacon. Usually make about 5 lbs and hand out portions to my friends.

George M. Purtill 03-23-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldon Goddard (Post 101412)
I like spam, but it would be much better if they made a version with less salt. They have one out but it is almost have turkey. What is with that? One of my favorite hobbies, other than talking to you guys about parkers, is home making bacon. Usually make about 5 lbs and hand out portions to my friends.

Eldon- I wish you could come to the Fun shoot in Addieville coming up. We could put some of your bacon on our cheeseburgers.

Dave Suponski 03-23-2013 07:39 AM

Chuck gave me some Scrapple a couple of years ago at Hausemanns. It ended up a grouse camp in Vermont that year for breakfast. Not bad but I think Dean covered it with maple syrup.....:rotf: