Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   USPS Service (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31898)

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 12:44 PM

USPS Service

Anyone else having issues with USPS right now?

I recently purchased an Ithaca NID 16ga off gun broker.

Sent the guy a chashiers check priority mail with tracking and everything.

It's last update was a distribution center in IL. Been sitting there since 12/8 now. I am hearing stories about Priority mail taking up to 3-4 weeks to arrive, as it just sits in dist centers because of short staffing.

The guy I am buying from has been very patient, and is in no hurry.

But, fairly frustrating, as anyone who has ever bought a gun off GB before knows, you can't wait to get your hands on the gun, so you can figure out if it is what you think it is....

Billy Gross 12-16-2020 12:51 PM

I am having similar problems. Billy

Jerry Parise 12-16-2020 12:54 PM

I mailed a painter a check in late September and it has not arrived yet. I wrote him a check two weeks after I mailed it and he had not received it. I took it to him personally because I felt so bad that he had not received it and did not want to leave him hanging.

CraigThompson 12-16-2020 01:09 PM

I sell a lot of stuff on GB and buy a fair amount so I know both sides of the coin very well . ALWAYS when I buy and pay by paper funds I send it Priority Mail take a picture of the label and send it to the seller . Atleast I can show then it’s been sent . GB protocol states funds and or FFL in the senders hands in14 days or less , however the buyer has no control over the GD USPS and if they have the tracking number atleast they know an envelope was sent their way . Over ten years doing this we’ve had problems with UPS FedEx and the USPS . Just seems here lately the PO is a hell of a lot worse . I’ve got a buddy that works for the PO and he said from the start of Covid19 their buisness quadrupled and now being Xmas I’m sure it’s 2 or 3 times worse .

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 01:17 PM

So far, the seller has been very patient. And, seems in no hurry.

Problem is, with a cashiers check, they are very difficult to stop.

So, we have to wait it out.

The problem for me is, this is the EXACT gun I have been looking for for a very long time.... And, now must wait because of PO.... arrgh!

Wayne Owens 12-16-2020 01:25 PM

I too am having problems with USPS. Still waiting on deliveries that were out for delivery two days ago but never delivered and now it just says going to be late with no expected delivery date.

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Owens (Post 318807)
I too am having problems with USPS. Still waiting on deliveries that were out for delivery two days ago but never delivered and now it just says going to be late with no expected delivery date.

That is exactly what happened to mine.... Sitting there like this since 12/11, for a couple days, they'd update and change the date as seen below... But, last time they even did that was on 12/11.

Status
In-Transit
December 11, 2020

In Transit, Arriving Late

Jay Gardner 12-16-2020 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 318803)
I sell a lot of stuff on GB and buy a fair amount so I know both sides of the coin very well . ALWAYS when I buy and pay by paper funds I send it Priority Mail take a picture of the label and send it to the seller . Atleast I can show then it’s been sent . GB protocol states funds and or FFL in the senders hands in14 days or less , however the buyer has no control over the GD USPS and if they have the tracking number atleast they know an envelope was sent their way . Over ten years doing this we’ve had problems with UPS FedEx and the USPS . Just seems here lately the PO is a hell of a lot worse . I’ve got a buddy that works for the PO and he said from the start of Covid19 their buisness quadrupled and now being Xmas I’m sure it’s 2 or 3 times worse .

Same story here. My buddy who works in the PO told me the same thing. On a related note, we have always received our mail at home by 300. Now it's closer to 600. There is a sigh out in front of our local post office that says "Now Hiring" You know it's bad when the USPS is putting out recruiting signs.

Randy G Roberts 12-16-2020 02:10 PM

I believe everyone is experiencing the same issues, mine have been numerous. I have a package that has been sitting in NC since 12/03 that had a delivery date of 12/05. Until this morning it had not been updated, now it has been updated to an expected delivery date of 12/04. Not sure quite how that's going to happen.

Had another package that was hung up in ND for several days with no movement then one day it appeared on my doorstep. Tracking said it was still in ND. Then about 4 days later I got the email, "Package Delivered".

As of now I have a Parker inbound with a delivery date of 12/17. As I have so little confidence in the target date being accurate I am not going to be disappointed when it does not show up, right. NOT HARDLY !

Reggie Bishop 12-16-2020 02:11 PM

Things are moving slow. Tracking isn't being updated promptly etc etc. Blame it on Covid. Blame it on Christmas rush. Blame it on Trump. Blame it on someone! And I think the same kind of applies to all shipping companies right now.

Reggie Bishop 12-16-2020 02:12 PM

Dang Randy another one?! I bet it has 32" barrels!

:corn:

Jim DiSpagno 12-16-2020 02:15 PM

Same situation here. Shipped on 12/03 supposed to arrive on 12/7 arrived 12/15 and was only 150 miles. Such bull crap

Randy G Roberts 12-16-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop (Post 318812)
Dang Randy another one?! I bet it has 32" barrels!

:corn:

Sorry Reggie but you would lose that bet. They're longer than that.:shock:

Brian Dudley 12-16-2020 02:32 PM

I was at the post office today and the clerk was telling someone that the only service they could guarantee delivery of on time is express mail.

I spoke up and corrected him by saying that the only guarantee is to drive it there yourself.

The funny thing is that a few months ago everyone wanted to blame it on the election. Now it is even worse than it ever was. What is the excuse now? back to Covid must be.

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 02:40 PM

There is a guy on another board i post on, who works at P.O.

He said, that entire dist centers have shut down due to covid. So, if your item is there, it's just gonna sit.

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 02:42 PM

BTW, my letter was last at : ELK GROVE VILLAGE IL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

If you just do a search on google, you will see complaint after complaint of things getting stuck there for weeks at a time.

I guess it's a black hole in the USPS world.

Brian Dudley 12-16-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin (Post 318820)
There is a guy on another board i post on, who works at P.O.

He said, that entire dist centers have shut down due to covid. So, if your item is there, it's just gonna sit.

I was told it is basically mountains of packages at those facilities that need to move and very few are getting out. If yours is on the bottom of the pile, then it will be a while.

What has killed me about all of this is that I have had items coming from across the country that get to me in record time, but packages going 2-4 hours away are taking 10 days or more.

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Dudley (Post 318824)
I was told it is basically mountains of packages at those facilities that need to move and very few are getting out. If yours is on the bottom of the pile, then it will be a while.

What has killed me about all of this is that I have had items coming from across the country that get to me in record time, but packages going 2-4 hours away are taking 10 days or more.

Mine was going to PA, from here in MO, why it went to Chicago... I guess I don't understand logistics.

It's just very frustrating. I wish the people at PO would be upfront and tell you, it may not get there for 3 weeks, I would have taken it to UPS or Fedex.

Reggie Bishop 12-16-2020 02:52 PM

One day last week I drove by our local post office to drop some office mail in the outdoor mail drop. The large metal mail drops. There are two sitting side by side and both were so full of mail that I could not get mine in either one. Maybe more people are dropping mail outside as opposed to entering the building due to Covid. But if so, should they not empty the outside drops more frequently?? It really is crazy right now.

J. Scott Hanes 12-16-2020 04:13 PM

Put a first-class mailer in the local PO on 12-5. It went to the Houston DC the same night, due to deliver on 12-9 in PA. It still sits in Houston (25 miles away) as of today. Incredible!

Scott Hanes

Kevin McCormack 12-16-2020 04:21 PM

I went to the PO last Tuesday and there wasn't another soul there in line the whole time I was there. I sent a package USPS Priority Mail regular 2-3 day service to MI (from VA) with a projected delivery date of that Saturday. Recipient e-mailed me to tell me they delivered it that Friday afternoon. COVID-19 + layoffs + Christmas rush = strange days!

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 04:40 PM

Well, just got this email from USPS. I guess it's all good now.... hahahaha.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Postal Service®. This is in response to your recent inquiry.
The U.S. Postal Service is experiencing unprecedented volume increases and limited employee availability due to the impacts of COVID-19. Unfortunately, there may be a delay in responding to your inquiry. Please be assured that we remain committed to delivering for our customers during this holiday period and will respond as soon as we are able.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Sincerely,
Your United States Postal Service

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Scott Hanes (Post 318836)
Put a first-class mailer in the local PO on 12-5. It went to the Houston DC the same night, due to deliver on 12-9 in PA. It still sits in Houston (25 miles away) as of today. Incredible!

Scott Hanes

Sounds like we're in same boat then... Mine at least got a couple hundred miles from me before landing on Gilligan's Island.... :rolleyes:

Matt Buckley 12-16-2020 05:24 PM

I have had the same delays with shipping and receiving in Minnesota. I waited in a long line yesterday at my local post office for 20 minutes. People were single file 6' apart out the front door of the post office with only one teller working and the post master standing around watching. A little irritating to say the least.

Louis Rotelli 12-16-2020 05:38 PM

I shipped a model 42 that I restored. My client wanted to present it to his son who was visiting him on Thanksgiving. I wanted to send it 2 day priority but the post office assured me it would be there in 2 at the max. It got there 3 weeks later

Sara LeFever 12-16-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin (Post 318808)
That is exactly what happened to mine.... Sitting there like this since 12/11, for a couple days, they'd update and change the date as seen below... But, last time they even did that was on 12/11.

Status
In-Transit
December 11, 2020

In Transit, Arriving Late

I have two packages, one sitting in Dallas and one in Buffalo, both had been updating as "In Transit, Arriving Late", but then those updates just stopped. It is beyond frustrating, especially when one was 2-day priority. I guess the only comfort is knowing that it's happening to everyone. :rolleyes: :banghead:

Sara

Dave Noreen 12-16-2020 06:24 PM

My Wife had our taxes done a couple of days after the normal due date. She always does them hard copy and mails them, doesn't trust the internet for anything financial. She mailed them on 20 April with tracking and a return receipt. They arrived at the IRS box in Fresno on 22 April by the tracking info. We got our refund check in August. The return receipt arrived in our mail box on Monday the 7th of December!! It was stamped received by the IRS on 20 June.

On the other hand my winnings from the Ward's auction got here plenty quick via UPS.

Larry Stauch 12-16-2020 08:07 PM

Shipping USPS

I sold two boxes of shotgun shells to a guy in Virginia about three weeks ago. He sent the $40 via a USPS Priority envelope. When I received it, 7 days after he sent it, I noticed the postage amount was $26.72!
I sent the shells via UPS for $12.83 and they got there in 4 days. :rolleyes:

William Davis 12-16-2020 08:44 PM

News this morning UPS & Fed Ex are refusing packages from major shippers on the front end. Previous peak shipment times they accepted all then delivered as best they could. Now only accept what they can handle. Both cite lack of capacity with inaccurate volume forecast from large shippers.

This puts more stress on USPS who is not allowed to refuse. . Further complication all three largely compete for the same 3rd party line haul carriers. None own railroads, some own airplanes, not enough to carry the volume. Lot of air cargo went to passenger carriers in the belly. Not flying as many planes now. Most use the same contracted long haul truckers. Owner operated truck capacity has reduced.

Situation is not going to get better anytime soon.

William

Sara LeFever 12-16-2020 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first week I was hopeful, the second week just plain mad, and now...

Stan Hillis 12-16-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop (Post 318811)
Things are moving slow. Tracking isn't being updated promptly etc etc. Blame it on Covid. Blame it on Christmas rush. Blame it on Trump. Blame it on someone! And I think the same kind of applies to all shipping companies right now.

Not all of them. Ordered a case (200) of Boss Bismuth shells on a Friday morning, by phone. Sunday afternoon they were sitting on my front porch. 1 1/2 days from Michigan to Georgia. FEDEX.

Crazy fast.

SRH

Sara LeFever 12-16-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 318879)
Not all of them. Ordered a case (200) of Boss Bismuth shells on a Friday morning, by phone. Sunday afternoon they were sitting on my front porch. 1 1/2 days from Michigan to Georgia. FEDEX.

Crazy fast.

SRH

I ordered an item from Rhode Island, and it shipped Monday and arrived today. UPS ground. I've also had good luck with things directly shipped by Amazon.

Sara

CraigThompson 12-17-2020 02:06 AM

At the kinda beginning of the crud I ordered three round ball molds from a mold cutter in the UK . Paid him thru PayPal from the day the order and payment arrived the molds cut , taken to the shipping center in London and arrived in Chicago took six or seven days . Then said molds sat in the Chicago area for TWO WEEKS , I’m sure part of that was the USPS claiming they needed to be in quarantine for a bit . Anyway by the time I got them it’d been 32 days . Yes 32 days from payment to delivery of the 42 days 4 or 5 were used up by the manufacturer cutting them packing and shipping after that it was oughtta his hands .

Paul Ehlers 12-17-2020 10:07 AM

I've always had good luck & service shipping things through the USPS until recently. I've bought some Model-21 small parts off eBay from two different outlets in the last few weeks. Both orders came out of California to Denver. Both shippers gave me notice almost immediately that they had shipped the parts first class mail. One took two weeks & the other three weeks to make the trip.

I don't know what's actually happening at USPS, but until things change around I won't be using them for anything that's important for timely delivery.

Mike Koneski 12-17-2020 10:15 AM

We had a customer order a gift certificate for Christmas. She ordered a month ago and lives about 12 miles away. It took two weeks for the envelope to arrive. Between the Wuhan, holiday shipments, Amazon shipments and short staffed crews, this isn’t going to get better until the new year.

Joseph Sheerin 12-17-2020 10:36 AM

I traded messages with a guy on that other board that works for USPS. He used their internal tracking and said he could see that my item was still at the Elk Grove Facility, even what piece of equipment it was on.... So, at the moment anyway, it appears to not be lost.... But no idea when it will arrive, as of right now it's 10 days late.... But, still hoping it eventually gets there.

Then, how long will it take for the gun to get to me is the big question... Heck, at this point I'd almost recommend him just waiting til after the 1st of the year.... Maybe I'll have the gun by this spring... :-)

Dean Romig 12-17-2020 10:48 AM

I shipped a set of barrels to Breck Gorman last Thursday with an ETA of Tuesday this week... nothing yet.

Richard Flanders 12-17-2020 10:52 AM

I'm finding that both the USPS and UPS are taking forever to arrive. I also had a recent Amazon order either put into the wrong mailbox or someone snitched it out of mine.

I also think that, since the USPS has contracts to handle both UPS and Fedex shipments that they are pretty swamped and under staffed. I've ordered a couple of AR trigger groups recently and they're taking forever to arrive and shipping is around $20, which is absurd for something that could be put into a small padded envelope and sent for less than $3.

Bill Holcombe 12-17-2020 12:05 PM

It happens every December. Shipping goes nuts. UPS using the post office for local deliveries isn't helping along with corona and short staffs. It will clear.

I purchased a 1st edition Christmas Carol that arrived a day late, and ordered a refurbished Stihl Leaf vaccum that was supposed to get here Tuesday that is coming today.

It just gets crazy this time of year.

Craig Budgeon 12-17-2020 12:34 PM

The post office is a US government agency that only lost $5 billion last year and you expect your deliveries on time. You must be kidding!