Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Quail guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26515)

Mark Ray 02-14-2019 01:25 PM

I just picked up the 26” vh 20, 1909, shipped to South Carolina, choked cyl.and mod.
Dave Wolf performed his majicon the wrist and forend...there were 19 compound fractures in the wrist, and the forearm broken in half....no evidence of the trauma after Dave was through with it, Briley then removed 7 dents, and a dozen pellet dings, rejointed the gun, and it is ready for another 100 years...

Mills Morrison 02-14-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Ray (Post 265813)
I just picked up the 26” vh 20, 1909, shipped to South Carolina, choked cyl.and mod.
Dave Wolf performed his majicon the wrist and forend...there were 19 compound fractures in the wrist, and the forearm broken in half....no evidence of the trauma after Dave was through with it, Briley then removed 7 dents, and a dozen pellet dings, rejointed the gun, and it is ready for another 100 years...

Wow! Excellent. Photos?

Gerald McPherson 02-14-2019 01:51 PM

Harold; You need to send that Bird Gun back down here where it belongs. That's as good as it gets for Georgia thickets. I have hunted with many gun in my time following bird dogs. This brings to mind the worst I ever tried to shoot quail with a Browning Superposed Lightning. Just did not work for me. The best for me is a VH 12ga 26in.

Garry L Gordon 02-14-2019 01:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My kind of thread -- quail guns! Gosh, there have been some beauties posted here so far. Here are some of my better-at-hitting-those-brown-bombshell guns that brought me luck this past season. All of these guns have drops that suit my shooting, even if the LOPs vary somewhat. They are light, because we walk a lot between chances on our wild Midwestern Bobs.

1. A Cogswell and Harrison 16 bore. This old gun has beautiful Damascus barrels of 30 inches, choked a bit tight, but will reach out and get that second bird (or, if you're like me, the second shot after you miss with the first one). It weighs under 6 lbs. and is stocked to shoot high (my way of shooting).

2. An 1890 Dickson trigger-plate round action 12 bore. OK, not a small bore, but I shoot very light loads (7/8 oz) out of this gun that weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. with a 15" LOP and 29 inch original Damascus barrels (and open chokes). It also has high stock dimensions.

3. A CSC Fox XE 16 gauge. 29 inch barrels choked cylinder and .012" This gun weighs 5 pounds 13 oz. Custom stocked to my measurements, it shoots where I look...if I don't get too excited and mount it too quickly (which is often the case).

4. The best darn quail gun I've ever shot -- a DHE 20 bore with 30 inch barrels choked to shoot 55%/65%...and also high. It has a large wrist, and the beefier nose to the stock. Once I became accustomed to it, my other guns feel a bit odd in the hand.

5. This gun -- a DHE 00 frame 28 gauge -- has yet to be blooded. I'm waiting for just the right time and place (and to start missing with the DHE 20!) It has 26 inch barrels and a 2 1/2" DH, again, the way I like them.

Reggie Bishop 02-14-2019 02:07 PM

That 28 gauge sure is a nice one!

Mark Ray 02-14-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 265815)
Wow! Excellent. Photos?

working on that....have been busy with lots of family stuff...but it sure looks cute in the cabinet! The big mistake I made was not taking any "before" pics, because I honestly thought the gun was un reparable. it has really nice original high dimensions...and I think I will be able to shoot it well....definitely bringing it to shoot 20 hammerless at the southern.,

Rich Anderson 02-14-2019 02:35 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more quail/grouse guns. They are GHE Damascus 20 26 inch bbls IC/M, VHE 20ga skeet gun, Gunner's gun (this ones great for everything:))
VHE 28 with 28 inch bbls choked skt in/skt out and W.R. Pape 28 hammer gun 28 inch bbls IC/M.

Mills Morrison 02-14-2019 03:05 PM

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:: shock:

Wow!

Ken Hill 02-14-2019 03:23 PM

Here's a couple of quail/pheasant guns. I stick to the ubiquitous 12 gauge. I mostly hunt pheasant in KS and consider quail as a bonus bird.

1. Dickson RA from 1898; weighs about 6 lbs 4oz. Of course you need a Gordon to go along on the hunt.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture...ictureid=11729

2. A 12 gauge lighter than a typical 20 gauge at 5 lbs 8 oz. It works fine on pheasant or quail. A 2" H&H.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture...ictureid=11730

Ken

Garry L Gordon 02-14-2019 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Hill, Of course you need a Gordon to go along on the hunt.

Ken[/QUOTE]

So true!