Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quail hunting (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32064)

Gerald McPherson 01-09-2021 12:36 PM

And all my life I thought we were poor. Now in my sunset days I learn that we did a half billion dollars worth of wild quail hunting. Pen raised birds are for puppies.

Daryl Corona 01-09-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 321461)
And, Daryl, how are you at shooting “woods quail?” Quail in the woods are by far my toughest shot of all game bird hunting.

I can hold my own on those birds Gary. It helps to have a good dog of course but it's strictly instinct shooting. After honing my skills on those liitle brown rockets twisting and turning to clear a cat briar bramble it made the transition to grouse hunting that much easier. I really, really miss those days. Walking the fields at dawn listening for old Bob's whistle to locate coveys was a great way to start the day. Even my old pointer Syman would perk his ears to the sound.

Kevin McCormack 01-09-2021 04:46 PM

In the mid- to late 1960s thru the early 1980s, DE had some of the finest wild quail hunting in the mid-Atlantic region. Large interior farms, some only minutes from the popular beaches, held multiple coveys. Still sparsely populated and remote, I have a suspicion some of these farms may still harbor decent populations of wild quail. Could be worth a field trip and a DE nonresident license!

charlie cleveland 01-09-2021 08:29 PM

in the 1960s my dads place was 152 acres it had 5 wild coveys on it...not one covey now probably 10 yesars since I ve heard a bob white...charlie

Dean Romig 01-10-2021 07:11 AM

When we first moved in here in NE Massachusetts in 1976 we would hear bobwhite calling in the evening from across the Shawsheen flats. “Evening vespers” I’ve heard it called. Then that area quickly became industrialized.
We would hear them off and on for the first 5 or 6 years but haven’t heard them in close to 40 years now.

Garry L Gordon 01-10-2021 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 321550)
When we first moved in here in NE Massachusetts in 1976 we would hear bobwhite calling in the evening from across the Shawsheen flats. “Evening vespers” I’ve heard it called. Then that area quickly became industrialized.
We would hear them off and on for the first 5 or 6 years but haven’t heard them in close to 40 years now.

There is certainly a lot to be said for progress, but it's accounts like this that remind us of the cost of that progress.

Milton C Starr 01-10-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 321410)
John, I thought your last line was going to be "If it's raining, cold, and the wind blowing, we don't dismount."

We did quail hunt in a thunderstorm once or maybe it was a tropical storm , they were determined to try to get a handful more of birds . There horses were not too pleased .

Stan Hillis 01-10-2021 10:09 PM

I can remember going quail hunting for the first time as a boy, with an adult. I remember that first covey rise, the field it was in, and the direction the birds went ...........nearly 60 years ago. Yet, I can't remember over two things my wife asks me to pick up at the supermarket ...........an hour ago.

SRH

Mills Morrison 01-11-2021 10:22 AM

Dad supposedly had 9 coveys when he bought his place. That went down to zero, as far as I could tell. This year there appear to be two that we see regularly. A long way to go, but progress

CraigThompson 01-11-2021 01:50 PM

I can remmember opening the draperies in my bedroom when I was fiveish sixish . Our house then was built kinda into a bank and my window was level with the chrysanthemum bed outside the window this woulda been around 66-67 . We lived in the country of course anyway I’d open the window and many mornings a covey of quail would be in that flower bed staring at me thru the window .