Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hemingway's guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6707)

Steve McCarty 03-31-2012 02:34 PM

I just googled the Hemingway Society. It takes Hemingway lore to another level.

Steve McCarty 03-31-2012 03:04 PM

My wife gave me my copy of Hemingway's Guns for Christmas. I rooted through my gun collection to see how many Hemingway guns I own. I had one Model 12, an early 20gauge with a Power Pac hung on its end. I have the three screw in chokes, Long Range, Mid-Range and Short Range so I thought it would be okay. Like many Browning designs old John liked to utilize the energy of recoil. Even the Model 12, a pump of course, used recoil to unlock the action after the shot. If one dry fires the shotgun you have to push forward on the pump handle, which mimics recoil and unlocks the action. Otherwise you can't get the pump to cycle. That Power Pac afixed to the muzzle of the little 20, which is like new, takes so much kick out of the gun that it will not cycle! That's why the gun looks so new. It wasn't used. I'm not sure what to do. That Power Pac has a one inch gap between the end of the muzzle to where the load enters the choking chamber. Will a plastic wad strip off as it makes the jump?

I'm not sure what I should do. If I chop the Power Pac off then the barrel will be 23 inches long. With the Power Pac afixed it's 28, which I like. I might removed the choke and thread the barrel, and screw in a choke device that extends from the muzzle and re-afix the Power Pac. This will reduce the gap the load has to jump, but it'd be expensive to do.

Steve McCarty 03-31-2012 03:18 PM

Since I read about Hemingway's model 12's I now own three 12 gauge guns, one a 1923 Nickle Steel full choke, a like new 1962 12 mod, and a beat up one that I've opened to IC. I have a 1938 16 full, that fits me like a glove. So I'm pretty well Model 12'vd.

EH owned just two model 12's. His first a 1928 gun that after thirty years of heavy use, he declared worn out. It was sent back to A & F to sell. The other he bought from a bell boy that had a choking device. I think he bought in 1958.

BTW: If any of you have a Model 12, 12 gauge that is worn the point that the barrel wiggles, Brownell's stocks a shim that will tighten up the gun like new. Same part works for a 97.

Sure I love my Parkers. But the Win Mod 12 with it's machined solid steel receiver is pretty darn neat too.

Dave Suponski 03-31-2012 04:09 PM

Steve, Other than my beloved Parkers the only other shotgun I own is a Model 12 two barrel set.

Steve McCarty 03-31-2012 05:13 PM

EH's first model 12 was a 1928 gun. I went out to locate one. This is the one I bought. It was cheap...$250. It is a 1923 gun marked Nickel Steel. I lengthened the chambers and eased the forcing cone just for grins. I like the wear on this gun. I seldom reblue a gun. If it works it's fine with me.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/P1010576.jpg

Daryl Corona 03-31-2012 09:22 PM

Nice gun Steve. Like my Parkers and Foxes, my M12 ,2 barrel solid rib gun has character. I just love the machining and the work put into them. They flat out point with no effort. Thanks to a good friend it now sports a straight grip which makes it point even better.

charlie cleveland 03-31-2012 10:20 PM

steve leave that old kickin device alone on the barrel just buy another gun....they aint a handful of them barrel kick reducers left in this old world.... charlie

John Campbell 04-01-2012 09:09 AM

Mr. Delk:
As a young man, my goal was to live a life at least half as bold and adventurous as Papa's. So far, I can truthfully say I've fallen short. But not for lack of trying.

Best, Kensal

Bill Murphy 04-01-2012 09:21 AM

Steve, don't cut off the Pachmayr Power Pac. It is a great choke device. The wads do not get stuck in the chokes. I have the Power Pac on a Model 42 and it works just fine.

Robert Delk 04-01-2012 04:17 PM

I suppose if you count the times I have been shot at and the adventures and misadventures with the opposite sex I have had a fair run but being an adrenalin junkie takes a toll and missing the rush puts you in much the same spot as EH:Wondering is there anything left worth sticking around for.