Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Purdey London (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24568)

John Dallas 07-02-2018 04:55 PM

I got a 4 hour tour of the H&H factory by the factory manager. Had a chance to handle a SxSxS 20 gauge, and looked at a 4 gauge SxS that allegedly had $100,000 worth of engraving

Harry Collins 07-02-2018 05:17 PM

Rich,

I'm up for adoption.

Harry

Kirk Potter 07-02-2018 05:42 PM

Rich, any hunting pics with that gun? I love a light 12 for grouse/woodcock, my PH 12 gauge 28” weighs just a bit over 7lbs, and is the lightest 12 gauge Parker I’ve personally handled.

allen newell 07-02-2018 07:09 PM

On our way back from a South Africa safari, my wife and I visited Purdey's in London. The gentleman there was extremely polite and gave me the full run of the place. Gun room, records room etc. I did manage to purchase a number of items for myself and the gents that I regularly shoot with. Very interesting place. I did see their (at the time) most recent Damascus over under. Interesting pattern on the Damascus, looked like birds eyes. The O/U was on display in the middle of the room. I could not handle it as it had already been sold. Interesting O/U but a little too gaudy for my tastes.

Rich Anderson 07-02-2018 08:09 PM

Harry I'll add you to the list of potential siblings:rotf:

Kirk I really don't have much in the way of pics with the Purdey. What I have were with a cell phone and I have no idea (and I don't want to learn either:)) of how to get them on this thing. One of my hunting buddies takes the pictures at Morrison Pines so as he did the photography he has the pics and hasn't forwarded them.

It will go to camp for grouse season along with a recent adoption of a 16ga two barrel set.

Joe Graziano 08-01-2018 11:42 AM

Purdey London

A few years ago I was in London on business, staying at Grosvenor House. Stopped into Purdey around the corner and had a similar experience. It is magnificent. The gentleman manning the store was polite, if a bit curt. The cheapest gun on display was a used SXS for 50K pounds. I thought perhaps I would pickup a set of cufflinks for my father. They were 1500 pounds. At this point, I laughed recognizing that not only could I not afford the gun, I couldn't afford the cufflinks! At that, I departed. A couple days later, on the way to the airport, I was relating the story to the cabbie, who happened to be a gun guy. He said we had plenty of time to swing by H&H on the way, if I wanted to see it as well. H&H was beautiful, of course, and the gentleman manning the store polite and a bit more friendly. I asked if I could use the restroom (they don't have a public W/C) and he took me downstairs through the corporate boardroom to where it is located. The boardroom walls are endless display cases of historic H&H guns. After dropping me at the restroom, the gentleman departed and I had plenty of time to view the collection alone. Wonderful, memorable experience.

John Campbell 08-01-2018 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been to the H&H boardroom as well. The guns displayed there are superb artifacts of craftsmanship and history.

Joe Graziano 08-01-2018 02:02 PM

Yes, that is the boardroom. And they have a lovely loo as well. Haha

John Campbell 08-01-2018 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And since this IS a Purdey thread, just to be fair, here's a quick shot of Purdey's Long Room where I once had lunch with the GM just prior to Game Fair some years ago...