Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Shooting Galleries using Live Ammo (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15533)

John Cinkoske 04-03-2015 09:40 PM

Peters made Krumble Ball .22 short rounds for gallery shooting.

Brian Dudley 04-04-2015 09:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I really love these old slide action .22 rifles.

Here are a couple photos of a Model 90 Deluxe .22 wrf upgrade that I built. I actually bought the donor gun from Bill (the OP). He sometimes sets up a very impressive slide action rifle display at our local gun shows.

Attachment 40450

Attachment 40451

Attachment 40452

Attachment 40453

Attachment 40454

This gun started as a standard late model 90 that had a great bore and rust/put free metal. But it had a pretty badly broken stock that also bent both the upper and lower tangs on the action. I figured that since I had to straighten the tangs anyway, why not make a deluxe out of it. A new buttstock was made out of the perfect piece of wood (in my opinion), and all metal parts were polished out and blued. The original forend was kept as is.

Dave Noreen 04-04-2015 10:32 AM

Beautiful Model 90 Brian.

Now would that be classified as a Woodward grip or a Prince of Wales grip?

Bill Murphy 04-04-2015 05:15 PM

Both. The actual factory catalog pictures show the ribbed forend on the Deluxe model. There may be checkered forends out there, but not in my salesman's portfolio. Brian's gun is a dead ringer for the 90 Deluxe in my portfolio.

Brian Dudley 04-04-2015 05:37 PM

Yes, most of the 90 deluxe rifles used the standard ribbed forend. I think that checkered forends were fairly rare on "normal" deluxe guns. I am sure that checkered forends were more standard fair on the custom engraved guns.

Richard Flanders 04-05-2015 09:28 PM

That is beautiful work Brian.

Bruce Day 04-06-2015 09:48 AM

To Bill Jolliff:
Your first post mentions that you served on USS Butner, a troop ship during the 1950's. In early 1953 my father, 1st Lt Bill Day USAF, was posted to a iistening post in the Fulda Gap. Dad was a WWII Army vet, enlisted then, then went to college on the GI Bill and ROTC. He was recalled for the Korean War, then stayed in.
My mother and I joined him later in 1953 and were shipped over to Bremerhaven on Butner. I was 6 years old and my mother's diary mentions the ship's sailors playing with the kids. we returned from Germany in 1956 and flew then, hoping across to Iceland and Gander.

A small world sometimes. Thanks for your service .

Bill Jolliff 04-10-2015 12:02 AM

Bruce,

Your trip on the Butner was two years before I became a crew member.

One of the things I did as an Interior Communications Electrician was to show movies every afternoon to the kids in the dependents chow hall.

And in about two weeks will join other Butner crew members for a ships re-union in Wabash Indiana.

Sorry I didn't see you note earlier. My wife and I just got home last night from a 10 day vacation to southern Arizona to get away from the weather we were having here in upstate NY.

Bill

Destry L. Hoffard 05-01-2015 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Funny you all were just talking about these on here and I was thinking how I'd never owned a box. Just bought these at an estate sale this morning.

Phil Yearout 05-07-2015 10:51 AM

Some really neat rifles here. I have a Winchester Model 61 that my brother gave me, and I remember running plenty of .22 shorts through it back in the day (though not the splatter bullets). It's a S, L, LR model. He bought it at an auction sometime in the late 40's or early 50's. He and my dad were there and didn't find out until the auction closed that they had been bidding against each other from opposite sides of the room! I think they drove the price all the way up to $40. It's been a good gun.