Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why is a 12 ga Parker a "boat anchor" these days? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30019)

Craig Budgeon 04-19-2020 07:39 PM

Oh yeah, the internet has saturated the market with good 12ga. guns.

edgarspencer 04-19-2020 08:09 PM

I’d rather pass up an $1850 grade 3 and wait for a good (?) grade 2, said no one ever.

Ian Civco 04-19-2020 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Allen (Post 300450)
Brian's suggestion is a great idea.Let him put it out at $4000 and see what happens.If he sells it,good for your friend.If not, you can make him a reasonable offer and you both are happy.

He is an octogenarian and it was quite time consuming even for him to locate the gun which ended up being in the most obvious place after all. He doesn't even wake up most days until noon due to a steady infusion of Old Grandad the evening before, which often can run to well after midnight. Not the type to seek a customer or market it. He just had decided that it was worth 3k two years ago and increased at $500 every 01 January. He will likely take a few weeks or months to comprehend that the going rate is much less and decide if he would have the cash or just keep the gun.

Don Strelioff 04-20-2020 12:15 AM

The gun in question has been evaluated on another posting ghe 12 ga Damascus nice gun good condition it is not s boat anchor it is not a 4 k gun and it is not a 1500$ gun it is a 2000$-2500$ and if the owner listed it for sale he would get that money for it because you the potential buyer thinks it’s a 1500$ gun does not mean that is what it is worth. The owner has not listed it anywhere for any price so this is all speculation and wishful thinking.

Ian Civco 04-20-2020 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Strelioff (Post 300487)
The gun in question has been evaluated on another posting ghe 12 ga Damascus nice gun good condition it is not s boat anchor it is not a 4 k gun and it is not a 1500$ gun it is a 2000$-2500$ and if the owner listed it for sale he would get that money for it because you the potential buyer thinks it’s a 1500$ gun does not mean that is what it is worth. The owner has not listed it anywhere for any price so this is all speculation and wishful thinking.

Yes, the GHE was evaluated in another thread. Various opinions were given.

Over in the Classified section right now there is a very nice DH with Damascus barrels and antique, which is more desirable, for sale at $1850 and a GH for sale at $1895, also with Damascus barrels, but not antique. In similar condition to the GHE. Both haven't jumped off the shelf. Seems like $1800 is a stretch for the GHE in today's market.

In the GHE thread, 12 gauges were described as a boat anchor. That's where I got that from.

Don Strelioff 04-20-2020 07:11 AM

I have sold many firearms not many Parker’s but many , many many pre 64 model 70 Winchester’s and there is a firearm that has pricing all over the map it is subjective to one person a certain model is worth x amount of $’s and that model may sit at what seems overpriced and all of a sudden it sold for the price that it was marketed at this is know different. Many factors come in to play . I have been making a living in the firearms industry since since 1977 nothing is carved in stone As stated this particular gun has not be marketed on any site so know one has had the opportunity to buy this particular gun it may be the gun that one person has been looking for and it would be sold . It’s a very individual thing .

Dean Romig 04-20-2020 07:13 AM

I don’t believe a Parker with Damascus barrels made pre-1898 is any more desirable than if it was made later than 1898. A desirable Parker’s individual attributes should always far outweigh it being “antique” or not.

Ian Civco 04-20-2020 07:45 AM

Pre 1899 is definitely more desirable than post 1898. Cash and carry. No paperwork, no FFL, no record...

This is the case with Winchesters, Colts, etc.

Dean Romig 04-20-2020 07:53 AM

I disagree - If you like the gun and want the gun - Buy the gun.

If one insists on “No paperwork, no FFL, no record” you must have something to hide.

edgarspencer 04-20-2020 07:55 AM

Quote:

Pre 1899 is definitely more desirable than post 1898. Cash and carry. No paperwork, no FFL, no record...

This is the case with Winchesters, Colts, etc.
:rotf::rotf::rotf: