Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Parker Reproduction Story (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25908)

Brian Dudley 12-08-2018 08:42 PM

What was done with the making of the Parker Reproductions is truely amazing. They do remain as one of the best guns you can buy for the money.

Many would not know that the guns were actually manufactured for such a short time period. Even though they were available for purchase for longer than that.

One example of mis-information is that I had heard that the manufacturing facility stopped production because they decided they could make more money in manufacturing car parts. But the article states the facility was simply demolished to build a golf driving range. I trust the article as truth.

Dean Romig 12-08-2018 08:51 PM

And this is all the more reason to say "The Parker Reproduction by Winchester is a grossly undervalued 'remanufacture' of a classic American SXS shotgun."

Brian Dudley 12-09-2018 08:49 AM

And now is a great time to buy. With the lowering prices in the market, I am seeing many Reproductions at lower prices than I have ever seen them at.

Tom Flanigan 12-09-2018 09:27 AM

In some ways I guess the reproduction was better than the original. Modern steel and much better wood generally. But it is in the fit and finish area that I think they fall short of the original, at least the DHE. I bought one when they came out but have sold it. My gun and others I have seen did not generally have as nice a wood to metal fit. Also, the checkering on my gun had run overs and crossed lines. I have seen the same mistakes on other reproductions. The stock finish was some type of poly that was a bear to remove. I re-did the barrels, removing the made in Japan and Winchester logo, took the checkering down and did it right including mullered borders and put an oil finish on the stocks. The engraving might have been finished up by hand but it was clearly done in an automated fashion.

But the real benefit of those guns was that it got a graded “Parker” in the hands of many who could not afford the originals in small bore. All in all a good venture, but for me personally, I’ll stick to the originals.

Rich Anderson 12-09-2018 09:37 AM

My first "Parker" was a repo 28ga with a straight grip and sst. I was in my early 20's at the time and couldn't have been happier with my "Parker". The 28 led to adding a 20 and a couple that had such nice wood I never fired them. To me the 20 is a heavy gun but the 28 is fast and lively. If you want a small bore the 28 Parker repo is unbeatable.........unless it's an original Parker:)

Bill Mullins 12-09-2018 11:01 PM

The Parker Reproduction Story

A good friend of mine that I have hunted with for many years purchased Reproductions in 20, 28, and 12 gauges in the 1980’s as they were first offered. He has pretty much used them exclusively since first acquing each one. He has literally shot several hundreds of rounds through each of them with only one malfunction and that was in the 12 gauge when it doubled on him during a hunt in the rain. Upon returning home he dissasimbaled, dried it out, cleaned, oiled it and put back together. It has never doubled on him since. It has a single trigger as does the 20 and 28 gauges. They have each performed flawlessly. A darn good testament for the durability of the Parker Reproductions. Tom Skeuse delivered on his objective to manufacture an original Parker clone at an affordable price to those sportsmen that could not afford the original “Old Reliable”! 🤗😊

Bill Murphy 12-10-2018 10:23 AM

The unengraved A-1s in the recent auction were a screaming buy. Brian picked up some and yesterday, I talked to a neighbor who also bought one in the same auction.

Mills Morrison 12-10-2018 11:24 AM

Dad bought a 28 gauge when they first came out. Then, when the clearance sale came at the end, he bought a 20 gauge and Uncle Hugh in Charleston bought a 20 gauge with him. I bought Uncle Hugh's 20 gauge a few years ago from his grandson.

Dean Romig 12-10-2018 01:23 PM

I had a SG DHE in 28 ga. with DT, 26” with IC/MOD chokes and a splinter. Kathy’s is a 28 ga. DHE with PG, DT, BTF, 26” with Q1/Q2 chokes and I used to swap barrels and forends depending on the bird I was hunting, the early or late season or the clays game. A really great combination pair of Repros.

Mills Morrison 12-10-2018 01:26 PM

Dad's 28 gauge is a straight grip with a single trigger. His 20 gauge is a pistol grip with a double trigger. My 20 gauge is a straight grip with a single trigger. A great trio of guns.