Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   New Mexico Covey Find (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26416)

Shawn Wayment 02-02-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Moore (Post 264565)
I live in Albuquerque, where do you hunt, I have hunted south but mostly along river by Socorro.

I've hunted from Ft. Sumner south to Hobbs. I love chasing scaled quail on the NM shortgrass prairie

davidboyles 02-02-2019 10:59 AM

I hunt near Carlsbad on BLM land where we have to dodge oil trucks from time to time. Carlsbad has changes so much in last three years with Permian boom. The Quail are still there but you dare not try and stay in Carlsbad!! Easy walking I’m 72 and great area for my Brittany to work. Best to you. Tell me about your country.

Shawn Wayment 02-02-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidboyles (Post 264572)
I hunt near Carlsbad on BLM land where we have to dodge oil trucks from time to time. Carlsbad has changes so much in last three years with Permian boom. The Quail are still there but you dare not try and stay in Carlsbad!! Easy walking I’m 72 and great area for my Brittany to work. Best to you. Tell me about your country.

David...it's easy walking everywhere I've been in NM. Colorado can be a little bit more difficult in the canyon and cholla-choked shortgrass country...both on dogs and people. I look for good grass but a fair amount of bare ground and good weeds.

davidboyles 02-02-2019 11:39 AM

Bird Dig Doc I ditto what you are saying. My goal is to hunt easy country with my 8 yr old Brit. I would like to try and perhaps team up with you on a hunt in NM which if I don’t go too far north is a one day drive from my location in TX. We could team up with our vintage Ithaca’s! Best to you and spring turkey season is in my sites already. My plan is to take my 15 year old grandson to where he went last year. Private ranch in S Tx loaded with birds. If you read the last PP I wrote about 2 Parker’s having a conversation. I intend to write another story only this time both guns are hunting turkeys with my grandson and I. Will be great experience for all.

Shawn Wayment 02-02-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidboyles (Post 264580)
Bird Dig Doc I ditto what you are saying. My goal is to hunt easy country with my 8 yr old Brit. I would like to try and perhaps team up with you on a hunt in NM which if I don’t go too far north is a one day drive from my location in TX. We could team up with our vintage Ithaca’s! Best to you and spring turkey season is in my sites already. My plan is to take my 15 year old grandson to where he went last year. Private ranch in S Tx loaded with birds. If you read the last PP I wrote about 2 Parker’s having a conversation. I intend to write another story only this time both guns are hunting turkeys with my grandson and I. Will be great experience for all.

Love to meet up David in NM...next season. Can't wait til spring turkey season. Best of luck to you as well!

Rich Anderson 02-02-2019 12:18 PM

Do you have to boot your dogs?

Shawn Wayment 02-02-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Anderson (Post 264591)
Do you have to boot your dogs?

The sand burs are horrific in some places in NM and I boot them always in Colorado because of the cholla and prickly pear.

Ronald L. Houser 02-03-2019 04:17 PM

Quail hunting

Shawn: I live in Elizabeth, we should get together and talk quail hunting. I grew up in Campo, CO and started hunting quail when I was twelve years old. I've hunted quail in CO, KS, NE, NM, AZ, TX, and OK. It's addictive, love it!!

Shawn Wayment 02-04-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald L. Houser (Post 264695)
Shawn: I live in Elizabeth, we should get together and talk quail hunting. I grew up in Campo, CO and started hunting quail when I was twelve years old. I've hunted quail in CO, KS, NE, NM, AZ, TX, and OK. It's addictive, love it!!

Ron...Love to meet up with you and talk quail. Maybe we can shoot some time.

Kingston Wulff 02-27-2019 06:23 PM

"I don't think I could shoot well there. There are no trees in the way." LOL. Yup, if you miss in Nevada you got no excuse! I've lived in the West now for 40 year. I don't think that I could do a Grouse or Snipe hunt in Wisconsin now!