Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New member (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28582)

Dean Romig 11-15-2019 03:59 PM

That’s a fine looking case sir! And not a bad Trojan either.

Garth Gustafson 11-15-2019 04:23 PM

Congratulations. Looks well-used and well cared for. It’s taken its share of game that’s for sure. Should be good for another 100 years.

Chance Johnson 11-15-2019 04:24 PM

I appreciate that Sir. Yesser the gun coulda been taken better care of, but I reckon at least it ain't been fooled with! Thank you for your help, an valued opinion!

Garth Gustafson 11-15-2019 05:30 PM

You’ve got a nice gun there. Enjoy shooting it. Dean offers good advice with low recoil target loads to protect the wood. Gun was designed to shoot 1-1/8 oz shot with 3 Dr Eq. powder. 12 ga target loads should be a little softer than that.

Harry Collins 11-16-2019 10:58 AM

Chance,

The old time full choke gauge was a dime for 12 gauge. I'll check the diameter of a nickel to see if it were the gauge for a 10 gauge.

Kindest,
Harry

Chance Johnson 11-18-2019 12:54 AM

Haaah Haaah! I'll be darn! I had a home defense 870 with cyl. Choke barrel and my cousin told me how you tell if a 12 g. is full is a nickel will NOT fit in the barrel! And he went on to show how that nickel WOULD however fall rite in on that cyl. choked barrel. I appreciate yens letting me know that! I'll hafta quit showing everyone those pics of me showing how a nickel won't go in! Haaah Haaah! I appreciate yens saving me from looking so foolish in the future! Haah Haaah! I been taking everyone that one barrel is FULL an the other is X-TRA FULL. I know that one side is definetely tighter than the other a bit! The barrels are still uncut and reach out to 30" from breech to muzzle , I just wonder how to tell what the ole gun is choked? Thank you three fellers so very much for taking the time to help a rookie! Your kindness won't be forgotten anytime soon!!! Chance

Harry Collins 11-19-2019 07:36 AM

Chance,

There are two ways to tell the choke of Parker shotguns. One is to measure the bore diameter and compare that with the muzzle diameter. In a 12 gauge full choke is about .030 and extra full is .040 constriction. One would think they could measure the diameter of the muzzle and deduct it from the standard American 12 gauge bore diameter of .729. Unfortunatly Parker 12 gauge bores often run .730-.735 and on occasion .729. The other way to tell the choke is to step off 20 yards from the side of a barn and shoot it. I have shot a lot of barns multiple times and haven't killed on yet. At that distance the pattern will indicate choke. 16" circle is Full, 20" is Modified, 26" is Improved Cylinder, and 32" Cylinder bore.

Kindest,
Harry