Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Roll Crimping (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32189)

Daryl Corona 01-19-2021 06:23 PM

Terry;

I'm not a roll crimper but find it a very satisfying to look at. For clarification, which roll crimping tool in your first picture is the preferred one and what is meant by the "pin" in the crimper?

Maybe if I live as long as you I'll take up roll crimping when I have some free time.

Eldon Goddard 01-19-2021 06:56 PM

It holds 5c collets. It doesn’t rotate but threads down and locks the collets in place. I have one for hex as well. The machinist at work showed me today we have a hardinge indexer for 5c as well.

edgarspencer 01-20-2021 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl Corona (Post 322474)
Terry;

I'm not a roll crimper but find it a very satisfying to look at. For clarification, which roll crimping tool in your first picture is the preferred one and what is meant by the "pin" in the crimper?

Maybe if I live as long as you I'll take up roll crimping when I have some free time.

The black one is the Nick Ross crimper. The pin (1 in BPI, 4 in Ross) is a round rod, about 3/32" , seated from the side on a tangent.
As old as me? I thought when I met you years ago, that I was in the company of the last living Civil War vet.

Daryl Corona 01-20-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 322539)
As old as me? I thought when I met you years ago, that I was in the company of the last living Civil War vet.

Not THAT Civil War but the one we are in now.:)

Paul Harm 01-21-2021 03:52 PM

I just went to the " reloaders network " web site and couldn't find the roll crimpers. Any help ?

edgarspencer 01-21-2021 04:30 PM

On the main page, click ‘Store’, then Shotgun, then the gauge you’re interested in.

Matt Buckley 01-21-2021 04:39 PM

Jay,
I have a 16 gauge precision reloading roll crimper and it works great.

Paul Harm 01-22-2021 04:08 PM

Thanks, I found it. Their crimps are a whole lot deeper than mine. I think pressures may raise with a crimp that deep. I could be wrong - maybe someone else can chime in.

edgarspencer 01-22-2021 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Harm (Post 322823)
Thanks, I found it. Their crimps are a whole lot deeper than mine. I think pressures may raise with a crimp that deep. I could be wrong - maybe someone else can chime in.

Whose crimps? The one shown on Reloaders is the same picture in all gauges (12). Depth from the rollover to the overshot card is entirely variable, and controllable. It's possible to get greater rollover depth with plastic hulls, than paper, but new Cheddite hulls are very pliable. Hull length, wad selection and shot charge all affect the height of the total charge. If you have a favorite wad, and the charge is well below the top of the case, you can select a different wad to bring it up, or trim the hulls, or, if it's only marginally lowere, use two or even three overshot cards.
The top of the shot only needs to be about 1/8" below the rim of the hull, and the rollover will be 180 degree reversed.
With regard to pressure, there's lots of data out there. All I have sent to Precision have been lower than folded samples of like charges.

The four shells, below, are, left-right:
Factory Eley 2.5" 5/8oz.
Once fired Winchester paper Super-X hull, trimmed to 2.4", Fiocchi RO28 wad, 5/8oz.
New Cheddite hull, trimmed to 2.5", Fiocchi RO28 wad, 3/4oz
New Cheddite hull, trimmed to 2.5", BPI SP28 wad, 5/8 oz

The difference between the Cheddite 5/8oz load, and Winchester Paper 5/8oz load is because the Paper hulls had very high base wad. The Winchester Hull with the SP28 wad only allows 9/16oz when trimmed the same.

charlie cleveland 01-23-2021 07:31 PM

good looking roll crimps to me wish mine looked that good....charlie