Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   New User Introductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Member in North Georgia (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33235)

Dean Romig 05-10-2021 01:44 PM

Wow, what a find! That would be a dollar-quality gun and would be the predecessor of a Grade-5 (B) or Grade-6 (A) range.

That set of Laminated Steel barrels, unless added after 1877, are likely English Laminated. Look on forward end of the right barrel flat for a P stamp indicating the barrels may have been made by Parker Bros. during the three years (1877, 78, 79) that they made their own Laminated Steel barrels. If the P is not there the barrels are probably of English origin. Being mis-matched tubes I'm guessing they were added later at Parker Bros. with their own-make barrels.

That happy spaniel pup at the rear of the left lock and on the trigger guard bow is a 'trademark' of Glahn's engraving.

Bill Murphy 05-10-2021 02:00 PM

This gun is an exceptional find, and records are available from PGCA, another great piece of research. Keep in touch.

Walter Sippel 05-10-2021 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey Dean, Thanks for the info. There is a P on the right barrel flat, and a patent date of April 11? 1876. I have also included a picture of the pattern on the barrels. My Grandfather said this was known as the "Snakeskin" pattern. That's what Grandpa said, anyway. The Damascus barrels also still show the wire figuring.

Dean Romig 05-10-2021 03:52 PM

So it is an 1875 gun with Laminated Steel barrels most likely added by Parker Bros. after 1877. The research letter may or may not address the addition of the barrels.

Incidentally, we don't know the meaning of the F.9.R.

I kinda like that "snakeskin pattern" description - never heard it before.

Brian Dudley 05-10-2021 07:20 PM

What a gun! I really like the layout of the case.

Chuck Bishop 05-10-2021 08:12 PM

Walter, please measure the Drop at Heel. I'm guessing 2 1/8".

Walter Sippel 05-10-2021 08:32 PM

I can't get a good measurement on the drop at this time. I cannot get the barrels mounted yet. The barrel keys are firmly wedged into the staples. I do not consider their stubbornness as an affront to my manliness so I am going to give the kroil time to work. In the mean time I am looking for a suitable pusher; bone, wood, plastic, to nudge the keys when they are ready. Then I'll be able to mount the barrels and measure the drop.

Dean Romig 05-10-2021 09:02 PM

A small brass punch driven with a small tack hammer usually does the trick. Tap it on the small side - I'm sure you know that though.

Walter Sippel 05-11-2021 04:48 PM

Well Dean, it's hard being me sometimes. I skipped over to my bench and found one of the brass drifts that I have used for years and applied it gently. Both keys moved easily. Thank you.

Chuck, the drop at the heel is 27/8". Measured it several times. Definitely not a trap stock.

Also, when I got the forends removed I found the serial number on both irons as well as the keys themselves. And, the color case hardening is still bright on both irons. The little screws in the irons have been engraved. And, I took the gun out in the sun today and there is a little color on the left hand lock.

Dean Romig 05-11-2021 05:57 PM

I can't wait to learn what the research letter tells you if you'd be kind enough to share.