PDA

View Full Version : Blued Damascus Barrels

Mills Morrison
02-14-2013, 12:56 PM
I am looking at acquiring a Parker that I really like, except some idiot blued the frame and the Damascus barrels. It seems I remember reading this could be more than a cosmetic problem if not done correctly? Any advice appreciated.

Jerry Harlow
02-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Rust, hot, or cold blued frame= no problem.

Rust or cold blued barrels= no problem.

Hot blued barrels= potentially big problems. The soft solder will be dissolved by the bluing salts; it even continues over time even if there appears to be no problems now. Hot blued barrels will usually appear very shiny and bright just like a blued pistol.

Ribs usually need to be stripped and relaid then the barrels reblued. Can't say always though. But if the hot bluing salts got inside the ribs, there is usually no way to stop it. If the barrels and ribs were tight and nothing got inside, they may survive as the salts outside could be neutralized. If it got inside the solder will turn to powder.

Just my opinion and having bought one like that before.

Mills Morrison
02-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks Jerry. It appears to be an older job and the coloring looks dull. I am just going by pictures though

Jerry Harlow
02-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Mills,

I am hunting with a twist gun that was rust blued. No reason I can see to remove it. If I restore the pattern, then I won't want to hunt with it. The only problem is the next buyer may believe they are fluid steel unless they are somewhat aware of the difference. But let the buyer beware. You can use it as a negotiation point perhaps.

Mills Morrison
02-14-2013, 02:09 PM
Actually, it may be good to have one set of Damascus barrels that don't stick out too much to the ducks and turkeys.

Paul Stafford
02-15-2013, 03:45 PM
http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=392&pictureid=4345

They are suppose to stick out. This way if you miss your shot you have something to admire.

Mills Morrison
02-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Boy those are nice.

If I get this gun I am considering, I will probably have the barrels restored at some point

paul stafford jr
02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
these stub twist barrels can make some bernards look common.

Mills Morrison
02-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I was thinking good twist barrels look very similar to Bernard. Twist barrels get underappreciated in my opinion.

charlie cleveland
02-15-2013, 08:36 PM
no wonder parker sold lots of guns...those guns with the differant type of steel barrels musta looked mighty nice settin in theme gun store racks all those years ago...now i know what my old 8 ga stub twist barrels looked like a 129 years ago... thanks for the picture paul.... charlie