PDA

View Full Version : Where can engraving patterns be found?

Gerald Majors
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Is there a publication that shows the engraving patterns that were available
for customers to select from back in the day? I know I've seen them for Winchester 21's and md 12's.

Dean Romig
02-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't believe we are aware of such a catalog for Parker shotguns. It seems reasonable that such a catalog should have been in use in the Parker Bros. stores and possibly even given to the road salesmen but none have come to light to date that I know of.

Mark Ouellette
02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
The reproductions of the Parker salesmans catalogues show each grade with their checkering.

Gerald Majors
02-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Thanks Dean and BFT.. I am thinking about having a VH engraved and want engraver to copy the pattern of a grade 2 or 3. I can probably use the photos in the Grades section of the PGCA site but was hoping for some line drawings. Do any of the engravers that visit the forum have any "to scale" line drawing templates of the outlines of all the engraving areas?

Dean Romig
02-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Gerald, have you chosen an engraver for this job?

Mark Ouellette
02-08-2013, 08:07 AM
Gerald,

It is your gun and your money but I have to wonder why you would upgrade a VH to a GH or DH. It would be cheaper to buy a decent GH or DH. Also, after you have your VH upgraded it will still be an upgraded gun and not worth as much as a original GH or DH.

Otherwise, if you want something special do a search for Gunners Gun and you will delight in seeing COB's custom VH!

Mark

Bruce Day
02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Gerald,

Also, after you have your VH upgraded it will still be an upgraded gun and not worth as much as a original GH or DH.

Mark

Or an original V.

You want a G or D? Go buy one. Don't ruin a nice Parker.

Gerald Majors
02-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the comments. I have 't contacted an engraver but I am going to rethink the engraving. May follow BFT advice.

Bruce Day
02-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Several years ago I got a call from a fellow in Arizona trying to obtain my help in locating a decent VHE 20ga to take to an engraver he had found there who he said was going to make the V into an A-1S. He told me this was his second attempt, another engraver there had so butchered up his first V that the gun was ugly , crude and ruined. But this time he said he had found another fellow who said he could do a better job and it wouldn't cost much. I asked why he didn't just find a D 20, they were well done, had nice engraving and he could likely find a dandy one for $8000 to $10,000. His response was that was way too expensive and he thought he could end up with an A-1S clone for half that.

I was probably too polite in my response, and I sure hate to see these nice Parkers abused. Nothing wrong with a nice V grade.

Mark Ouellette
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Gunners Gun engraved by RES Engraving

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/Chesador/Gunners%20Gun/GunnersGun_045.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/Chesador/Gunners%20Gun/GunnersGun_031.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/Chesador/Gunners%20Gun/GunnersGun_042.jpg

Custom Fox by RES Engraving

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/Chesador/Robert%20GS%20Engraving/HH_Jun12_3021.jpg

The above are worth the investment to their owners and maybe to some others. Don't get me wrong for these are wonderful guns. It's just that the cost of something special, that could be reproduced for about the same cost, is only worth that cost to the original buyer and someone else who wants exactly the same gun. Engraving like the above guns is not cheap!

Mark

Gerald Majors
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the photos Mark. Both guns are beautiful. Maybe I can save my pennies and in about 20 years have enough to buy something that nice. Well not quite that nice or I'd be afraid to use it for fear of damaging it.

Mark Ouellette
02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Gerald,

So enjoy your VH Parker and become more knowledgable of other Parkers. In time you too will acquire a GH, DH, BH, and maybe even an AH. It happens to the best of us!

PS: I know that Gunners Gun gets hunted in the thick grouse woods of Michigan's Upper Penisulia.

Mark

Brian Dudley
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Unless you are doing something completely custom or are upgrading to a C or higher, the cost do do the work right will out weight the cost of just buying a gun of the grade you are trying to replicate.

Gerald Majors
02-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Mark,
Where can I see more photos of Gunners gun?
Gerald