PDA

View Full Version : Old Iron for Charlie

Jack Cronkhite
01-24-2013, 03:12 PM
You been wondering about any new old iron encountered. Here is a '54 GMC with hoist box slowly rusting away. Last used in 1981. Could probably get her running again but nobody all that interested to do so. Could be fun but too far away from me to play.

Cheers,
Jack

Richard Flanders
01-24-2013, 03:17 PM
I bet it wouldn't take much at all to get it going again

Russ Jackson
01-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Man ,Isn't the chrome holding up well on the Old Girl ! You would pay a Grand Sum for that type of Plating today !

Rick Losey
01-24-2013, 08:08 PM
Man ,Isn't the chrome holding up well on the Old Girl ! You would pay a Grand Sum for that type of Plating today !

I doubt the EPA would let you do that plating today.

I love those old GMC/Chevy cab designs

charlie cleveland
01-24-2013, 10:14 PM
what a find you have found there JACK...these were really neat trucks in there day the grill really looks good..in fact all the sheet metal looks good...wish it was closer home for you next to guns old sheet metal was my thing..i grew up in the a junj yard and retired from one and my wife says we still have a junk yard..thanks JACKi really appreciate these pictures and others of old rusty iron... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
01-25-2013, 01:41 AM

I am always amazed at the chrome. I came across a 1937 Dodge farm truck. It was rough but every chromed piece still glistened more than 80 years after production. Same for a '58 Ford car. No pics. Someone did remove the Dodge (not sure if permission was asked or given).

charlie cleveland
01-25-2013, 12:09 PM
jack i was just looking again at this old gmc i was especially looking at the bed construction...someone really built a quality bed ...look at the bolt s through the wood all nicely done and spaced evenly..and still looking purty good even with no care given to it for a lot of years...wish i could afford to at least build a shed for it.... charlie

Jack Cronkhite
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes, I noticed that when examining the truck. They had built it to accept a hydraulic hoist lift, which worked just fine but..... one day, the hydraulic cylinder failed and the box came crashing down. Luckily, nobody was hurt, except the cylinder which cracked open along a poor weld.

edgarspencer
01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Kids out your way are more respectful of others people's property. If that truck was out here, it would have a lot of bullet holes in it.
I too saw how well the chrome has stood up. Frame is probably heavier than hell. Not like today's tin foil.

Rich Anderson
01-25-2013, 06:28 PM
What a shame to ket the old girl just rust away to nothing.