PDA

View Full Version : Up here

chris dawe
01-21-2013, 08:56 AM
I've enjoyed everyone else posting photo's ,so I thought I would give it a whirl ...These are of my favorite Ptarmigan ground close to home,I walk a typical 20km or so a day in there,hard ground ,good going ...most of the barrens up here are "mash" feels like you're walking on a waterbed,that can eat up the best of us21558

David Dwyer
01-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Chris
On a typical day how many birds do you flush and how many do you get to shoot at?
David

Daryl Corona
01-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Chris;
Great photos! Your first pic should be your screen saver, awesome shot. I don't know about that last one though, I would'nt trust my Parker to hold up that boulder.:)

George M. Purtill
01-21-2013, 10:06 AM
Let me know if you need shooting company. That looks like a movie set.

charlie cleveland
01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
lovely but very harsh looking terrain..chris you must be in good phiyical shape to do that walk...like i say lovely but forbidding.... charlie

Gary Carmichael Sr
01-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Chris are those glacial deposits? great photo's Gary

chris dawe
01-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys,

Dave on a typical day I'll move 6-12 birds sometimes more sometimes less,years ago I recall one day in particular when I was about 17, I put up around 200 in a long days walk ,no bull!!! that was uncommon but it has happened to others as well,but to be honest the birds have never recovered their numbers from years ago ,the central part of the province has better numbers but getting to where the birds are is an ordeal in itself ,helicopter if you're financially able or the alternative, hours on an ATV and a canvas hotel (see photos ),not for the faint of heart but I truly enjoy it .

Daryl , it is one of my favorite pic's, as to the boulder it's not a Parker :o it's a 2E Elsie.

George funny you should say that ,It reminds me of the Lord of The Rings film location.I would like to host everyone for a shoot, but the truth is with the low numbers and rough walking you would probably all hate me when its over !

Charlie ,you do have to have legs under you for sure..the ground is some of the better stuff here for walking,most of the barrens are "mash" like walking on a waterbed ,very grueling .That being said the hard ground is still covered with a lot of moss that hides loads of sprains and twisted knees...I never feel embarrassed about taking a tumble ,its just a matter of when !

Gary I believe they are ,it's not uncommon while grouse hunting to stumble across a house size rock all by it's lonesome...The local nickname of our province is strangely enough "The Rock "

charlie cleveland
01-21-2013, 08:00 PM
what kinda loads you shooting in that elsie on them birds... charlie

chris dawe
01-21-2013, 08:20 PM
what kinda loads you shooting in that elsie on them birds... charlie

I use the 1oz 7's ,Gambore in the 2 1/2 shell,I use that gun on Duck's too using the 2 3/4 T/M Gamebore.

calvin humburg
01-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Ever find any rocks from the stone agers?

chris dawe
01-21-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm guessing you mean arrow heads and the like...no,not there but my Da used to find them picking mussels at low tide just a ways from the house, I've never been fortunate enough to find any (I don't like mussels )

John Liles
01-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Daryl, you shoulda known that very few shotguns, and no Parkers, would hold up a rock that size! Kidding aside, beautiful country Chris, and the pictures are breathtaking.
John