PDA

View Full Version : My First Damascus Refinishing Project

Ed Blake
11-29-2009, 06:38 PM
These barrels are from a 1879 D2 that I recently refinished. It was my first crack at doing this and they turned out better than I thought. As you can see from one picture there is a slight inclusion in the damascus that was interesting. My only mistake on these was I did not card well enough in the space between the barrels and the ribs. That finish gets in there and it builds up a real hard consistancy that the acid wash does not etch. I'll do better next time. I did not use logwood, but I can see how this would benefit the process. The finish was gone and the barrels were practically in the white.

Ed Blake
11-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I posted pictures of this on the old board, but I'll put a couple more out there since the barrels have been redone. It has an interesting enhancement to the hook. It is a #2 frame 30".

Ed Blake
11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
At somne point this gun had an adjustment made to the hook. I can't imagine that the action was loose because the rest of it is in rather high condition. I'd love to know who the machinest was who did this.

Dave Miles
11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Nice gun Ed.

Dean Romig
11-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Ed, you got some very good contrast in those barrels. Good job.

Eric Eis
11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
For your first time I would say you really should be pleased. Very nice

Dave Suponski
11-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Ed,For your first attempt I think you did an outstanding job.Believe it or not I had a hammergun that had that exact repair to the hook! I sold that gun long ago and I didn,t record the serial number..:banghead: Who ever the smith was must have done that repair more than once...:)

Ed Blake
11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Dave S. - Interesting. What part of the country did your gun come out of? Mine was in the same Connecticut family since new, but I've always wondered if by chance the repair was done in Meridan at the factory. My letter mentions nothing about it.

Dave Suponski
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Ed,I am sorry to say that I remember the repair on the gun but not the gun itself.I was a rather plain gun if I remember right.This was several years back when I was on a hammergun collecting kick.I have disposed of most of them since then.Sorry I couldn,t be of more assistance..

Bill Murphy
11-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Your barrels are very nice. I would not strike the barrels again to remove the dark areas in the rib junction. The tubes look too good to risk changing the great contrast. Congratulations on your success.

Ed Blake
11-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Thank you all very much for your kind words. It was not difficult to do, just follow the instructions and it happens. Through his excellent tutorial our friend Tom Flanigan has made it possible for the average tyro to refinish damascus. I would encourage anyone with the inclination to try this. More to come.

Dennis Quist
12-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Hello Mr. Blake, You did in deed a fine job on those Damascus Barrels. Not carding off all the areas around the rib give a striking patina look. If you are interested, I have a set of D3 Damascus barrels that I would be honored to have you perform your Alchemy Magic on. My E-Mail musket@hughes.net. My Kudos for an outstanding job... Dennis Quist...

Ed Blake
12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Mr. Quist, that's high praise indeed. I need to practise a bit more on my own barrels before taking someone else's on. I mean it when I say anyone can do it.

Travis Sims
12-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Ed......you did a fine job!

I've had many a discussion about refinishing composite barrels with different refinishers. They have all said "pay attention to detail". This is so true and i always try to pass on the advice whenever asked.

Kurt Densmore
01-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Great job on the barrels and you have a very nice condition lifter...enjoy.

Kurt

Chuck Heald
02-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Great job on a first attempt. I played with the process on a small section of barrel a yr or so ago. Actually, I started playing with the process several yrs ago. Gave up after no advancement in a few days. Then after a couple yrs passing, tried again. My failures in the first attempts were due to an excessively strong FeCl solution. When I was finally to the point of claiming success, my process was very simple: rustblue several times (very forgiving in this area) including the boiling and carding, then a 10 sec dip in a 6 parts water to one part common circuitboard solution and wet carding with 000 steelwool. Repeat until happy with your results.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/5etchaftermanyrusts.jpg

Ronald Moore
01-11-2011, 09:30 PM
I have not tried to restore Damascus yet but would love to know how you did it. I have reblued lots of guns but no Damascus. Let know your procedure please, your barrels look great.

Ron moore

Drew Hause
01-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Courtesy of Tom Flanigan

https://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfg2hmx7_194gwgwmqdh