PDA

View Full Version : Tripple on wild roosters

Kenny Graft
11-26-2009, 08:47 AM
I received my doubles pin...cool. Woke up ealy today thinking about it. I was hunting private property in Kansas last year with a friend and the land owners son along a creek bed with wooded thick brush on both sides...close to the end at the corner of the crop feild about 5 roosters flushed in front of me, two fell to my first shot and a third veered to my left, it droped to my left barrel and fell stone dead in the bottom next to the creek. The dog was in front after the first two when one of them broke to my right at 25 yards or so running into a crop feild. He was hit unable to fly. There was a wall of heavy brush way above our heads that was only yards to go and he would be lost ...I swung my gun one armed and pointed at him...pow he was down 35-40 yards out just feet from the brush. The young son of the property owner was standing close and saw it all in disbeleaf! Does this count for a tripple with a parker GHE 20??? Kansas was a great time last year, its just like Ohio was back in the 60-s. Four bird limmit keeps you hunting all day plus some Quail and chickens too. We leave tomarrow for Hill City KS for this years 7-days of hunting. thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Harry Collins
11-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Kenny,

Well, YES! I count Scotch Doubles (two birds with one shot). That plus the third bird is a tripple in my book. And who has not had to dispatch a cripple. The game warden counts it as part of your limit.

Good shooting and have a safe trip, Harry

E Robert Fabian
11-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Great story Kenny, and with a twenty. As we say in camp, everyone gets their day in the barrel.

Trigg Davis
11-26-2009, 07:09 PM
I hope you have a great trip.

Trigg

Rich Anderson
11-26-2009, 08:31 PM
I haven't given any thought to the doubles pin this fall as finding one bird of any species has been a bit of a chore let alone two...then on the same covey rise.

Your tale of the Pheasants brought to mind a day at my hunt club last year when I was hunting Quail (alas released birds) with two other PGCA members. All three of our dogs went on point or honoring the others point. I went in and the covey exploded all around me. Two birds fell with two shots and a quick reload of the right barrel caught one more. I instantly fell in love with the borrowed .410 VHE skeet gun and have longed for one ever since.