PDA

View Full Version : A Parker and November Grouse

David Hamming
11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
The last time out before Michigan's Firearm Deer season.
Beautiful, bright blue skies. The Grouse were in the oaks. The pup had a good day, pointing 4 out of 5 contacts, it would have been a great way to end the Season. The Parker did it's part as well and I even held up my end.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh269/DHamming/GrouseHunting2009052.jpg

Dave

Dean Romig
11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice picture and great looking wood on that Parker. That, being an oak stump, are there many oaks left standing?
Pretty impressive bag you have there - shootin' 75% is darn good on ruffed grouse . . . presuming you didn't shoot at the bird your dog didn't point :rolleyes:

Kurt Densmore
11-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Damn nice piece of wood ........looks like the forearm wood even matches the stock... great job..

Kurt

Francis Morin
11-25-2009, 12:43 PM
Takes me back, although the older PH 12 I was using was a bit of a "beater" but it had wide open chokes- as someone had shortened the 30" barrels to 28"- also made it a $300 gun when I bought it 25 years ago- when I was faster afoot, a few pounds lighter, and had a GSP that was like a fireplug on point. But i was using AA 12 reloads- Montoya locked up- mid-Nov just before our MI gun deer season- a huge pat- tail fan like a B-29 went right up and away, a fairly straight-away shot, I covered the bird the the muzzles and touched the front trigger- Click- bad primer, never did get off the second shot-- C'est La Vie I guess-Thanks for sharing with us, will you re-open the grouse hunting after Thanksgiving, depending on weather??:bigbye:

E Robert Fabian
11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Nice photo Dave, this is a New Brunswick bird that I thought was pretty nice.

Dean Romig
11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Yup Bob, that is pretty nice . . . very pretty nice.

Rich Anderson
11-26-2009, 08:31 AM
David where in Mich are you from? There are several members scattered through out the state.

David Hamming
11-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Nice photo Dave, this is a New Brunswick bird that I thought was pretty nice.

My apologies for the late reply, Gentlemen, I was up north a few days trying to score some venison for the freezer. No joy.

That's a beautiful bird, Bob, it looks like a candidate for a mount. It has the B29 tailfan.:). Nice big bird!

Dean, The Oaks were thinned out years back, letting just enough sunlight in to dirty things up. Birds were not there all Fall, the last 2 hunts they were.
A couple more days, get thru Firearm Deer and we'll see how December plays out. Last year the snow shut hunting down early.

Richard, I live in the Borculo area.

Dave