PDA

View Full Version : New member with questions about Trojan

douglas mccorkindale
12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Thank you for allowing me to join your forum.
Local Parker owner has asked me to consider taking his Parker Trojan in trade for a rifle. I know nothing about Parkers and have reviewed the helpful info on this site to try to educate myself to consider the trade.
Unfortunately I have not seen the gun in person and I have no pictures that I can post at this time but here is what I know.

Serial #168499, which I understand makes it a 1914 gun.

Underside of the barrels shows:
3 stars on left barrel, 4 stars on right barrel, which I assume are choke codes but I do not know what the number of stars indicate.

# 777 is stamped on lug which I assume is used to clamp on the forearm,and also on the right barrel next to the 4 stars,

stamped on the barrel lug is the #12 with letters GA together with the numbers 2 3/4 stamped under the GA letters. I assume these stampings are indicating a 12 gauge gun, but the 2 3/4 number is not something I could find on this site's information--I see reference to #2 and #3 frame sizes but not 2 3/4.

"XXIV" is stamped on the underside of the right barrel on the flat part--cannot find any info to tell me the meaning of that stamp.

the letters "OV" are stamped in hexagon shaped impression right above the serial number on the watertable. I understand from this site that the stamp in that location would show the grade of the gun but I can find not info about "OV".

This may be more than you need to know but any help in explaining these stamping would be appreciated.

Rick Losey
12-08-2012, 10:58 AM
what does it say on the top rib?

Dean Romig
12-08-2012, 11:11 AM
Most of the stamps you have noted are not Parker Bros. markings.

douglas mccorkindale
12-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Thanks.
I have not seen the gun so I do not know what is on the top of the rib. I will ask.

Maybe the non Parker markings are the result of some later gunsmithing work.
I found a posting on the forum that indicated that the "OV" stamp on the watertable was used on early Trojans.
Can you tell me which markings are non Parker?

Rick Losey
12-08-2012, 12:13 PM
the barrel stamping are not familiar -

the stars for choke, the 12GA and 2 3/4 (which I assume is the chambering) and the roman numerials -

that is why I asked about the rib's marking - sight unseen I would suspect after market barrels.

douglas mccorkindale
12-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks. Now I understand why you asked about the markings on the rib.
I will see what I can learn but if the barrels are aftermarket it is a different gun than represented.

Dean Romig
12-08-2012, 01:15 PM
The OV is the stamp identifying virtually all Trojans. The barrels remain suspect.

douglas mccorkindale
12-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Recieved pictures of the rib on the barrel. Clearly not a Trojan barrel.
Thanks for your help.

Rick Losey
12-10-2012, 10:48 AM
You're welcome

Brian Dudley
12-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Toss some pics up of the gun if you did get them. Would be interested to see what type of condition it is in and what the barrels are that are on it.