PDA

View Full Version : Repro Warning

Kenny Graft
11-14-2012, 06:41 AM
It has come to my attention that the top action screw under the top lever can become frozen to the inner sleeve. The gunsmith thinks moisture gets in and mixes with residue acides from the color case process. If this happens the gun cannot be disassembled and will require expensive sergery and new parts. Owners like me will need to remove the screw, clean all the parts with solvent and lub with gun greece. A Q-tip works well to clean the screw port on the receiver. I do not like to mess with belly screws but they can freeze as well. I have serviced my hunting guns top screws....only one was hard to remove. I think it was close to being frozen. Thanks all SXS ohio...(-:

ron belanger
11-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks for that info! A quick check and lube of my screws sounds like it's in order!
Is there any harm done (other than the possibility of buggering up a screw?)
I would probably, remove one at a time, cleaning and lubing each one rather than take out all three...and yes, I do have the proper drivers...:)

What kind of grease, or lube is best for this? I have many different types of lube and would have thought a drop of good gun oil would suffice in place of grease, but if grease is the only option, what is the brand name??

Thanks again!

John Farrell
11-14-2012, 09:16 AM
If I was going to solve a problem described by Ohio SxS, I would remove the screw and coat it with RIG before reinstalling it. RIG would have protected Noah's SxS on the Ark if it had been left outside while it was raining.

John Dallas
11-14-2012, 09:20 AM
+1 for RIG. Love that stuff. I was panicked when it was announced that the company that produce it was going out of business. I bought up two lifetimes worth and then another comany has stated making the stuff again.

John Farrell
11-14-2012, 10:13 AM
RIG = Rust Inhibiting Grease. I, too, have a lifetime supply of the stuff. I use it on my sheepskin pads to wipe down all my guns after handling them. And occasionally (when I remember to do it) run a RIG coated patch through my cleaned barrels before putting the guns away for the season, week, month or day. Then, I put the patch back into the little jelly jar I keep it in for use the next time I remember to do it.

Kenny Graft
11-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Yes....rig is the stuff

Paul Plager
11-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Where do you get this RIG?

Carson Eddings
11-26-2012, 10:21 AM
I have Parker Repro #12-0745. The gun exploded on a recent trip to South Dakota.
No damage to me, but the stock is shattered. Anyone know where I can order, or get
a good used one? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Carson Eddings carsoneddings@aol.com

Paul Plager
11-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Carson, PM Brian Dudley. He is a member and has made some very nice stocks for Parkers.

Russ Jackson
11-26-2012, 11:26 AM
I have Parker Repro #12-0745. The gun exploded on a recent trip to South Dakota.
No damage to me, but the stock is shattered. Anyone know where I can order, or get

Carson Eddings carsoneddings@aol.com

Carson ,First of all apparently you weren't hurt ,Thank god for That !!! But what in the World happened that your Repro " Exploded " ,I have never heard of this happening with a Parker Repro before ! Russ

John Farrell
11-26-2012, 06:05 PM
I had a Repro 28 gauge in the late 80's - early 90s. Around 1992 while woodcock hunting I missed a shot and swung over for the second shot. The barrel was pointing to my left and my stock hand was under my chin. The stock had shattered at the wrist and I now had a 4 piece gun instead of the usual 3. Back then there were no extra repro stocks available so I had one made and got rid of that turkey as soon as I could. The broken stock was the final of all the problems I had endured in the years I had the gun. Down the road it went.

I still have the two pieces of stock wood around here somewhere, I think.

Steve McCarty
11-27-2012, 04:27 PM

Interesting story! What do you figure happened? So if I understand you correctly, the gun broke in two, but the barrels were intact? Is that correct? I've had several guns break at the wrist, one a Charles Daley Miroku 20 gauge. Just glued it back together and she is good as new today. So far....

Joe Bernfeld
11-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Glue it back together! My 28 ga broke in 2 at the wrist when I fell down while hunting a few years ago, and it looks like new. Nearly impossible to see the repair. Right behind the top and bottom tangs through the checkering.

Steve McCarty
11-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Glue it back together! My 28 ga broke in 2 at the wrist when I fell down while hunting a few years ago, and it looks like new. Nearly impossible to see the repair. Right behind the top and bottom tangs through the checkering.

Well, you sure has heck did a nice job of glueing it back together! I'll bet you excercised your military vocabulary when you broke it.LOL.

I have to be perfectly honest here. I had a gunsmith glue the Miroku back together and I can still see where it cracked, but she is not opening up again. I had a smith do it because the gun has that hard plastic finish and I was concerned that I'd chip it.

I have, however; glued several cracked gunstocks back together and they seem to be holding up okay and in some of them you can't see where they cracked. The trick is how you secure the stock after the glue is applied. (I usually use epoxie, but I've used Elmers too.) I have a set of spring loaded clamps that grip hard and I let it setup for several days.

Works for me.

charlie cleveland
11-27-2012, 08:36 PM
i was trying the string and get around the corner on a 12 ga gun that i rechambered to 3 1/2 inch chambers to proof it...well the proof method was good but the stock in the head crached about 6 inches in a split broke both of the sides off that meet the steel...needless to say i glued and fiber glassed it...but two good wood screws counter sunk in that walnut stock is probably the reason shes still together...and this old 12 ga has had a pile of super heavy loads put through her..but on a nice gun with a broke stock i would pin it or use steel threaded pins...this is for fellers like me that cant afford a good stock man...yep wood screws and glue for those old stevans stocks....charlie

Steve McCarty
11-28-2012, 01:33 PM
I have been haunting gunshows all of my adult life. Over the decades I have seen hundreds of guns with repaired stocks. It used to put me off, but today I find them interesting and if the old repair works I consider buying the gun. Of course the rest of the gun has to be a good one. The repair will lower the price. That's good.

I see a lot of Elsies with busted stocks, or cracks that run from behind the lock through the wrist. If I can find one that was wrapped with copper wire or a sheet of copper and then tacked (if it's cheap enough and solid) I'll buy it. I like the "I been there" look. Nor do I own an Elsie and I'd kinda like to.

Jack Selman
02-02-2013, 08:07 PM
Who's on first??? Are we talking RIG or exploding 12G Repros?

Can we please stay on subject?
1) Mr. Farrell, where can one buy RIG?
2) Mr. Eddings, what happened to your 12?

Linn Matthews
02-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Brownells

Jack Selman
02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Who's on first??? Are we talking RIG or exploding 12G Repros?

Can we please stay on subject?
1) Mr. Farrell, where can one buy RIG?
2) Mr. Eddings, what happened to your 12?

Jack Selman
02-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Thank you, Parkerman. I was on another page of this discussion (?) and did not see my question was posted. Hence, the duplication! My Repro 20 will soon get the lube recommended. I hope my Repro stock will serve me as well as my vintage babes have! No cracks, breaks or explosions yet! So far, so good.

greg conomos
02-02-2013, 11:24 PM
I for one think it's great we have Walt Kowalski as a member of the PGCA. What a coincidence that his name, and appearance, is the same as the famous Clint Eastwood movie character.

Richard Skeuse
02-05-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Big D who is making replacement screws? I get calls every week from people looking for replacement screws. thanks Richard Skeuse

John Dallas
02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Richard - Sorry. You must have me confused with another good-looking guy. I don't know anything about replacement screws.

charlie cleveland
02-05-2013, 01:15 PM
somebody on here makes the screws..maybe hell pitch in.. charlie

Dave Purnell
02-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Tom Carter

George M. Purtill
02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Tom is top shelf and very easy to deal with.