PDA

View Full Version : New member from Minnesota

Jay (deleted)
11-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Hi!

My name is Jay Johnson. 52 years-old and a lifelong resident of Minnesota. Work for the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources in the Division of Wildlife.

I've been bird hunting here my entire life and have spent most of it chasing ruffed grouse and woodcock behind english setters.

I shoot two bird guns. A 1924 Parker VHE 20 bore 28" IC/M and a Henry Clarke & Sons 16 bore, 28" CYL/1/4.

Here I am with my setter female Meg and a couple of grouse just shot over her point.
http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc333/jcj138265/247237_478544712179310_1855493278_n.jpg

Dave Suponski
11-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Welcome Jay! We are glad to have you! Great pictures ..Thanks for posting them.May I suggest joining the PGCA. There is a lot of knowledge here and some fun to be had also! Our quarterly publication "Parker Pages" is second to none. Also If you decide to get a research letter on your Parker the cost is only$40.00 vs. $100.00 for a non member.

calvin humburg
11-12-2012, 06:22 AM
Hello, Jay glad you came and thanks for the pictures we really like them. Nice lookin dog.

Bruce Day
11-12-2012, 08:23 AM
We will have a big PGCA exhibit at the Pheasant Fest in St Paul Feb 15-17. Come by. Forty to fifty Parkers of all types will be on display.

Steve Kleist
11-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Welcome Jay!
I think you will find this site and printed publication most interesting. Your interests are similar to may of our members.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist, Ely, MN

Mark Landskov
11-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Welcome aboard!
Mark Landskov (Hibbing)

Jim Beilke
11-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the Parker site Jay. I am from Morgan Mn. Didn't I see you on a traditional archery site. I am also a longbow hunter and a flintlock hunter.Jim

Jay (deleted)
02-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the Parker site Jay. I am from Morgan Mn. Didn't I see you on a traditional archery site. I am also a longbow hunter and a flintlock hunter.Jim

Jim...Yes I'm a traditional archer have been since I started shooting in 1968.

I saw the group at Pheasant Fest and it reminded me to go home and join which I just did!

Jay

Dean Romig
02-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks for joining Jay - the more, the merrier!

I think you will really enjoy being a member of this organization. This PGCA is a never-ending learning process and a lot of fun too.

(edited for clarity 2/17/13)

Daryl Corona
02-17-2013, 06:26 AM
Hello Jay. Beautiful little setter you have there. Thanks for joining the PGCA. Is that your H. Clarke that you are holding in your pic? She looks to have some long tubes on her. We'd love to see pictures of your Parker 20 and that Clarke when you have the chance. You'll find we love pictures of guns and dogs here.

charlie cleveland
02-17-2013, 09:28 AM
welcome jay...not a better bunch of gun and dog lovers in the world... charlie

John Farrell
02-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Jay stopped by our PGCA booth on Sunday morning at the Mpls Pheasant Fest to inform me that he was now a member. I've known Jay for more than 25 years and the man is, if nothing else, a terribly addicted fellow that floats silently through the wooded thickets of Minnesota carrying his most recent favorite SxS gun accompanied by his well trained and loved English Setters. He knows upland birds, bird dogs and bird guns. In his autumn years we can expect at least one tome on the techniques, failures and rewards of a life in the hawthorne, willow and alder thickets of Minnesota.

Jay (deleted)
02-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Nice seeing you again John!

It was really great to chat with my old friend Randy Havel and his son Jerry at the booth.

Randy has known me since I was a pimple faced High School kid working the gun counter at the old Burger Brothers on 44th & France in Edina, MN.

I work in the field of hunter recruitment and retention and one thing that every bit of research that has been done on the topic points out is that, social support is critical factor in a person becoming a hunter and staying a hunter.

Folks like Randy, Jerry , John and others who I'm connected to are the thread that binds the fabric of my hunting heritage together.

Groups like the PGCA add to the strength of that thread.

Thanks!

Rich Anderson
02-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Jay welcome to the PGCA. Thats some nice looking cover there, reminds me of the Upper Pennisula of Mich.

Harold Lee Pickens
02-21-2013, 06:39 AM
Jay,
Great looking gun and setter. I sometimes carry my VH 20 grouse hunting and have 2 setters. Looks like you are a good fit for this bunch---by the way did they tell you that as part of your initiation into the PGCA you must post the GPS coordinates of that cover.