PDA

View Full Version : New Member

W Barnett
10-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Hello....I just managed to finally get registered on this forum. Anyway, I joined because I have a couple of old Parker's that I am trying to find out more about. One of them I am looking to sell if anyone is interested. Based on my research, this shotgun is a VH grade and it's serial number has it being manufactured in 1909. I came to own this shotgun a number of years ago after my grandfather passed away. I never knew he owned a Parker and happened to come across this one hidden in the attic insulation. I have used it only twice for some dove hunting with great results. It is such a fine shotgun. I can appreciate the quality and collectibility of them.

Hopefully, I will be able to view the rest of the forum soon after my account is finally activated. I plan on probably listing the one I described above for sale at that time.

Thanks.

Paul Plager
10-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Welcome. Glad to have you with us.

W Barnett
10-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Glad to be here. It's going to take some time, but I have plenty of reading to do here with all this information. Any help for a "kinda" newbie to Parkers is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to find some more information about the ones I own. Especially the one I will be trying to sell. It has the serial number 150###

Dean Romig
10-24-2012, 12:25 AM
That's a strange serial number... they usually have all numbers. That's the first time I've seen a serial number with those funny 'number signs'. Probably one of a kind...

Seriously, none of us are afraid to post an entire serial number here. In fact, it's the only way you'll have any credibility or be ably to get valuable help and information about your Parker.

Welcome aboard!

W Barnett
10-24-2012, 02:49 AM
I have always wondered about why it wouldn't be best to list an entire serial number. I always see people writing them like I did above and was just erring on the side of caution. Honestly, I don't know what it would matter if I posted an entire serial number for a shotgun that is over 100 years old.

The serial number is 150909 and has a "V" stamped below it. I don't see how credibility is in question, but I'm new to the site. If you wouldn't mind, please let me know how that factors in here. I realize that an exact serial number will probably help with factory specs. All I have been able to find so far is that it falls in the range of numbers of shotguns manufactured in 1909. If there is any additional information that anyone can provide now that I have posted the entire serial number....please feel free to share that information.

Chuck Bishop
10-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Welcome Mr. Barnett,

FYI, in order to be allowed to advertise a Parker for sale on this forum, you need to be a member of the PGCA, not just a Forum Member. If you have indeed joined the PGCA, then the web master will make the necessary changes and you will be able to access the For Sale section of this web site.

You are correct your gun was made in 1909. You indicated a "V" stamped below the S/N. This would indicate a VH grade (the H indicates hammerless. and a VHE would indicate it has ejectors.) If you go to the home page you will find more information and pictures of what your VH grade should look like. There is also a Research link and there is factory record information for your gun. Usually there is just basic information on lower grades such as the VH but you never know until researched.

Chuck Bishop
Research Chairman PGCA

Craig Parker
10-24-2012, 09:14 AM
W, Gun not listed in Parker ID and serialization book but if was my granddad's I would join PGCA and letter it to keep with gun, just me. You might post some pic's of the guns and this would help this in ID'ing more information for you. The guys on here can pin down a lot of authenticity and are very knowledgable about the subject. You also might want to check out The Parker Story, it's a 2 volume book detailing its history on the start of the great gun. Let's see both guns you just never know.

Craig

W Barnett
10-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the information, guys. I do have a question, though. This shotgun does have ejectors, but if I am reading you correctly.....would that mean it should have something else under the serial number besides a "V"? Or are you saying because of the "V" and the fact that it is hammerless and has ejectors....it is actually a VHE model?

W Barnett
10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, I'm planning on keeping the one that he used to use. The one I have been describing is one I had no idea he had and found in the attic insulation of his house.

John Dallas
10-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Just to be sure... The gun has ejectors, not extractors? Ejectors have a two piece, spring loaded piece which pops out spent shells. Extractors are a one piece which simply lift both shells from the chambers. Sorry if I'm being too simplistic - just not sure of the extent of your knowledge

W Barnett
10-24-2012, 11:25 PM
You are exactly right. I was calling it by the wrong name and I applogize for my confusion. I like to think I have pretty good knowledge of firearms due to the fact that my family owned a gun store growing up. I spent a lot of time there as a young kid and like to think I know quite a bit. I do have to admit that even though I was exposed to firearms in general at a young age....I always have had the tendency to go towards rifles rather than shotguns. Just to put it in perspective....I built my first custom rifle at 14 off a 1909 Argentine Mauser. I still use it to this day (21 years later). I am more into the "western" type shooting nowadays and have a few breech loading sharps rifles. I do have a stoeger coach gun and am used to its spent shell extraction method (the hand grab).

I feel bad for using the wrong terminology and appreciate you correcting me. My Parker has what I believe you have described as the "one piece" extractor. I will look as soon as I get home, but I am pretty sure it is an extractor and not an ejector. I believe it is a sort of "x" looking piece as you look to the rear of the chamber and when you lower the barrel, it pushes the shells out slightly.