PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota PGC Hunt

Bruce Day
11-15-2009, 09:55 PM
This is an upland game, Great Plains hunting thread for those who like that sort of thing. The intent is to show here that Parkers from lifters to the latest can be effectively used for hunting wild tough game birds and have a good time doing it.

Returned from SoDak, lots of birds, huge flocks of wild pheasant. Great time.
Dogs did well, a wonderful time. We had two young Lewellin setters , both 8 months old, in addition to the experienced dogs. It was the first time on wild birds, wild pheasant and first time hunting with a group for both. Both Charlie and I were pleased and think they will make good bird dogs. Both were pointing and holding pheasant, one for as long as four minutes before John stepped in and flushed the bird. Charlie's was retrieving, mine would find the dead bird and mark it but would run off again without retrieving to find more. Something to work on between now and the next big trip a few weeks from now. John D. remarked on how big the fields are and how big the dogs run....something he is not used to.

Charlie Herzog Ste Genevieve MO
Doc James Van Blaricum Pratt KS
Phil Ardiri Kingsport TN
Greg Dershem Hutchinson MN
Pete Kappes Ava MN
Ron McDonald Tasmania
John Dunkle Portsmouth NH
Spencer Day Platte City MO
Bruce Day Kansas City MO

Guns used were several VHE 12's, a CHE 12, a DHE 12, a G lifter hammer 12ga, a 16ga top lever G hammer with 32" barrels, a Trojan 12, a PHE 16ga, a DHE 12 damascus, a CHE 20 , Charlie used a D hammer 20, John used a 20ga DHE 24", I used a 16ga CHE Bernard with regular Rem Gun Club and Federal Game Shoc loads. Some say they can't hit with a 24" barrel, but John was head shooting pheasants at 35 yards with it. Charlie made a towering, difficult long shot with the first shot ever from his 20ga D hammer gun, using a Fed Game Shoc load. Van was knocking them dead in the air with long shots from a 20ga CHE. Van also owns a 12ga CHE two barrel set, one barrel set regular 28" fluid steel, the other a correct and original Parker marked rifled barrel for slugs. That barrel is unusual, rib marked " Made By Parker for .........." and with all the normal barrel flats markings. Pretty clear to us it is factory.

The trailer is the PGC clubhouse where some sleep, others sleep in the house basement. We were going to do a live pigeon shoot but the barn pigeons didn't cooperate. Charlie won the sixgun shootoff this year.

Others took a lot of photos and maybe they will add them. John Dunkle took lots of photos. The country is west of Huron toward the base of the Ree Hills, named after a Lakota band that lived there. Some may recall last December when I posted photos of a Lakota group coming out of Ft Randall on horseback at 10 below, all steam in the air, wrapped in buffalo and Hudson blanket robes, eagle headresses on. That group of maybe 50-75 Lakota riders went all the way to Mankato MN to commemorate the hanging deaths in prison of several young Lakota following the Sioux uprising in the 1860's. They camped out in traditional buffalo hide teepees on the way. Quite the sight.

We are doing an article for the PP's and the PF magazine, plus doing a seminar presentation on upland game hunting with classic American double guns at the national Pheasant Fest in February/Des Moines.

Russ Jackson
11-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Hello Bruce ; GREAT PICTURES !!!!!!!!!!!!! ,looks like a great time !! Russ

Ed Blake
11-16-2009, 02:04 PM
Great pictures Bruce. What's the story with the antelope fawn?

Francis Morin
11-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for sharing with us- the dogs afield had to have made the trip an A-1 Special event- quite a selection of Parkers used- no problems with the "logistics" of some many gauges and shell selections used?? best thing, IMO, besides the breaks the weatherman gave you and your gang- nice to see all that safety glow orange-:rolleyes:

Bruce Day
11-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Few more pictures.

The priest with the collar and the red plaid fannel shirt.....that was a set up by Charlie. He told the local priest that Ron McDonald came from Tasmania and had been thinking impure thoughts and needed some blessing. Ron was almost speechless.

The antelope yearling was left and adopted the ranch family, staying in the yard and the family dog protecting it. They call me the antelope whisperer.

Mornings and most evenings we eat at the ranch, but one night we eat prime rib in town. A slab of cow filling a plate, salad bar, potato, etc, ice cream, $17.

There are a couple photos of John "Deadeye" Dunkle admiring his birds.

John Dunkle
11-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I just wanted to pop in and say a couple of things (I'll post a longer version and some pics soon - I promise!! Its just been a little crazy at work since I arrived back.. :eek: )..

Anyway - to Bruce and all the folks....

Thank you!!!

This was - without a doubt - the single best hunting experience I have ever enjoyed... South Dakota was absolutely stunning, the Pheasants breathtaking - and frankly with all the folks I had the honor to hunt with - it was the recipe for a lifetime of memories...

My sincerest thanks....

'Till later!

John

John Dunkle
11-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Well – I’m finally getting caught up, so I figured I’d post “this and that” about the South Dakota trip. Please bear with me, as much of my memory is fogged due to severe sleep deprivation in addition to the “newbie hazing” that is part of all hunts in the West (or so I am told – but, what do I know – I’m from the East?)…

For example, I arrived in Sioux Falls at “0”dark thirty on November 10. On the morning of the 11th – Charlie H. and Bruce D. call my cell phone demanding to know where I am – as they are waiting for me in Sioux City?? Where in the world Sioux City is, I have no idea - except to know I’m not in that “Sioux”… Panic sets in – did I fly into the wrong airport, city, state or country?

Yea – that’s sort of what I mean by the “hazing” – which continued throughout the trip (I would also mention that I had to cook in the mornings and wash the dishes in the evening – but, I was told that’s the “new guys” job as well, so I’m not complaining…)…

A couple of notes…

The country in South Dakota is absolutely stunning and the locals are wonderful. The Fezzants, as well – are the size of 747’s and make almost as much noise when they lift off the ground. The hunting can not be described, as there are flocks of fezzants everywhere… For that experience and those memories – thank you….

OK – on to the pics…

This is what I mean by beautiful country. I took these near sunset on the last day…

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15039&g2_serialNumber=1

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15036&g2_serialNumber=2

Also, there are historical markers dotting the country side. For example, I was told by Bruce (who lived near this monument at some time in his life, as Bruce has lived everyone at any one time) – that this is the last buffalo shot by the Lakota Sioux in 1898 – and has been attached to this fence post ever since:

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15003&g2_serialNumber=1

Now – about the hunt… Next we have Bruce, Spencer, Charlie, “Doc” and Randy getting ready to release the hounds. During this walk, I was told to stand guard by the trucks to ensure they weren’t vandalized, so I didn’t get to hunt much that morning?

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15006&g2_serialNumber=1

Later that day – I was allowed to hunt, but ended up taking some pics. This area, next to the old farm, is a pheasant “hotspot”. Spencer (in the foreground) was walking so fast, his hat got backwards – and in the background is Phil (Doc’s son-in-law) and Ron (more about Ron later…):

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15009&g2_serialNumber=1

This is a typical “one day” harvest. Now – Bruce will probably tell you he shot all of those birds himself, but – he didn’t… I think there are 20+ birds in that picture, and even Bruce’s pup Triple contributed to the take with some wonderful points:

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15012&g2_serialNumber=1

This is a picture of what I was first told was to be my “sleeping quarters”. However, there was a hole in the roof made by some crazy bird hunter, so I got to sleep elsewhere:

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15018&g2_serialNumber=1

And on to some more serious pictures….

This is a picture of Shea – Charlie’s 7 or 8 month old pup – who POINTED and HELD the rooster you see in the foreground. I took it with Bruce’s 20GA DHE with 24” barrels (yes – I said 24” 20GA) and Charlie’s dog fetched it right back to hand. There are two comments… I love that little 20GA and shot with it for two full days. It just handled for me and while I’d pick my shots, never failed to bring them down - hard.. As well – both Charlie’s and Bruce’s pups were outstanding and a pleasure to watch & shoot over…

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15027&g2_serialNumber=2

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15024&g2_serialNumber=1

Some of the other comments… It was a wonderful pleasure to hunt alongside Ron from Tasmania, who is an incredible shot – and has a wonderful sense of humor. He’s a true “gentlemen” in the keenest sense of the word.

As well – Doc (James Van Blaricum) is a fellow “brother”, as he has raised and trained Brits for years, as I have. He, as well – is a true “gentleman”, and I was privileged to hunted alongside him. (However, he did tell me I wasn’t “anything” like he expected me to be..? I’m taking that as a “complement” – I think?? ;) )

Pete Kappas…. He came along with 3 of his dogs for two days… His eight year old pointer “Jess” and I hunted a couple of stretches as “partners”. That pup of yours Pete, is wonderful. I wish I had a picture of her to share with all of you. Simply a wonderfully trained pup and hunting companion…

As well, I had the pleasure of meeting Greg Dershem for the first time. We gave Greg the high corn rows to walk, so he could spot the birds for us “smaller stature” guys… Seemed to work out OK for all of us:

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=14993&g2_serialNumber=2

Now – about Bruce…. Bruce tried for the entire trip to acclimate me to “Tactical Pheasant Hunting Air Force Style”… There were even “battle maps” and briefings in the morning. There were field commands like “we are going to go south by southwest, flank turn to a northern sweep to a east by west direction, then pivot and make a pincer movement to….” Well – you get the idea.. I’m from the East – so you fella’s from the West JUST NEED TO POINT WHERE THE HECK you want us to go, as there is no moss growing on the north of a tree trunk out there, so I can tell where NORTH is out there???…

Anyway – Bruce finally gave up on me – pointed – and I walked and hit some birds. In a way – you could say “Bruce got his pie – and got to eat it, too”:

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15021&g2_serialNumber=1

In a lot of ways – there are a lot of memories from that trip – all of them terrific… Just a simple bunch of guys getting together to share some good times and make new memories.. Like taking Spencer out and teaching him how we hunt in N.H. without dogs – and he bags his first two Roosters of the trip with some pretty excellent hunting & shooting skills. Like having Ron blessed by a Priest… Like hunting with Charlie and his pups Shea and Abby… Like Pete and his pup Jess – and the smiles both brought (as well as the “Grain Beer” or something ;) )… Like sleepless nights listening to harmonized snoring…. Like beautiful days on the plains… Like listening to the Pheasant Roosters call in the evening…

Yea – it was sort of like that….

And sort of like this.. The last bird of the trip (taken with an outstanding shot by Bruce). It was a wonderful ending to an excellent hunt. And in many ways - it's fitting that Bruce should have the last shot and bird of that hunt. Frankly - without Bruce - we wouldn't have even been there.. Thanks, Bruce!

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15042&g2_serialNumber=2

And this - sorry it is indeed an "ego" shot, in deference to those Bruce posted of me which might, indeed - even scare the heck out of my wife if she saw them:

http://reutterwerk.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=15030&g2_serialNumber=2

Thanks for reading…

John

Russ Jackson
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
John ;Great Pictures , Looks like a wonderful time was had by all !!! Did Bruce really eat that pie all by himself ?:shock:

John Dunkle
11-18-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi Russ..!!

It really was a wonderful time.. As you can guess - we did share a lot of laughs, good times and some "funning" with each other. In a lot of ways - that's indeed "..what it's all about..."..

Anyway - yep, Bruce did share that pie. As I recall, after he ate his fill, the few crumbs left were given to his dogs...

;)

John

Bruce Day
11-18-2009, 12:02 PM
Sue always fixes cherry pies one night, apple pies the next. She knows I love good tart cherry pie, but no, I could not have even begun to eat the whole pie myself, Good Lord no, I'd weigh 300 pounds. Any certainly not after a dinner of home grown ham, mashed potatoes, cheesy green beans, oven rolls with clover honey, a salad....we had to push back from the table.

We have a great time. What John didn't tell you is that he fought for position in the kitchen because he likes to cook and we all helped Sue clean up and wash. We tried to fool John with the Sioux City/Sioux Falls thing....they are about 80 miles apart.....but he wasn't buying it.

The crazy bird hunter who put a hole through the barn roof is Charlie. A couple years ago, he head shot a pheasant in the shelter belt and it flew over the barn and went up and up before it crashed straight down and through the roof. Charlie still hasn't fixed the roof.

Now about the tactics. Yes I did map out some of the fields and talk about the best way to work them while at the breakfast table. But with that darned Dunkle there talking all the time and joking not a one of those SOB's listened or retained a word I said. So we would go out to the fields and then these guys had the nerve to ask what we we going to do. So goes hunting with John, or more accurately, stumbling around the fields with my friends. Everyone had their opportunity to limit out every day, so to me thats what its all about.

What he didn't say is that John is a good shot and has good hunting sense, and he is funny and loves to rib people, so we managed well. So, good wine, good companions, good dogwork, great guns, decent weather and big big SoDak skies. What could be better?