PDA

View Full Version : Seeking seasoned advice on stock work

Joe Mason
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
i recently picked up an 1896 gh 12 ga at a gun show here in mn, I paid $400 for it. The gun locks up tight, the damascus barrels are in great shape with no pitting, the stock fit to the reciver is flawless and shows no loosness or wiggle as i have seen on many other makes from the same era.. Now the bad part there is a pretty good sized crack in the stock at the wrist,it was repaired many years ago and might hold up for years to come?
no I'm no expert by any means but I can tell that the wood on this gun is higher quality than most of other GH guns ive seen. Now my question, once you have a problem like a cracked wrist on a gun in your opinion does it now qualify for a repair and refinish? I hate the thought of refinishing a 113 year old stock.. Can anybody point me in the right direction? What would you do? Who would do a proper quality job? Any suggestions are welcome

Destry L. Hoffard
11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Not cheap and not fast, but they do excellent work:

http://www.stockfixrs.com/

Brian Dillard
11-18-2009, 11:48 AM
[QUOTE=Destry L. Hoffard;7261]Not cheap and not fast, but they do excellent work:

Destry,
In your experience...a 1"tight crack = $ and takes about how long? Just for reference.

Thanks.

Destry L. Hoffard
11-18-2009, 02:57 PM
Brian,

If you send them the gun they'll give you a full estimate before they start the work.

I've got one I'm going to send after the shooting season and they told me it would be 8-10 months.

Destry

Chris Travinski
11-23-2009, 07:48 AM
You could also give Dave Wolf down in Waco, TX. a try. He does very good work and is pretty fast.

John McKee
12-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Generally; would that crack be the result of shooting too powerful a load? A friend of mine runined the stock of an excellent antique Lyman trade rifle by shooting modern powder.