PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Screw in Chokes

Steve McCarty
10-17-2012, 09:50 PM
When the Screw in chokes became commonplace I was overjoyed. "Finally" I thought, "I can put any choke in my single barrel gun that I want". So I bought a Winchester 1300 with the Winchoke and I carried around the little red pouch chocked with chokes. I never changed one in the field.

I took my 12 gauge full choke Model 37 to the gunsmith and had it threaded for Colonial chokes, that was the only kind he had the equipment for. I guess the Colonial chokes are okay.

Then I joined the local trap/sheep/clays club and met a lot of guys shooting all kinds of guns. Many afixed with screw in chokes. But not all.

Then I discoverd that many guys shoot all kinds of chokes in all kinds of shooting games. Guys were shooting IC and Mod at skeet, Mod and Full at trap and at skeet too. One guy shoots a 30 inch full choked pump at skeet. Then I looked at modern expensive guns. Most/or many made with fixed chokes as if classy guns have fixed chokes. Some guys were telling me, "forget the chokes on your gun and shoot it and have fun......and I did/ do.

Question, can one shoot a modified choke successfully at anything and is all of this screw in choke deal much ado about very little?

Does having a readily available variety of screw in chokes really make that much difference for most applications of shotgun shooting?

Please understand, I am just pondering the question. I have a gun with a Polychoke and I do open it up when I shoot skeet with it. I'm not totally stupid. It is a 20 so I don't shoot it at trap. So, sure choke makes a diff, but really?

Chuck Bishop
10-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Steve,

There really is no correct answer to your question on choke tubes. It's a matter of preference. It's like novice trapshooters asking is it better to use 7 1/2's or 8 shot. It's what you feel comfortable with and how your gun patterns with the shot.

If one had only one shotgun for skeet,trap, sporting clays, and hunting, then choke tubes make sense.

I have Briley thin wall chokes in my trap gun and using the modified choke (.020), it will smoke targets from the 25 yard line if I do my part. I wouldn't want to use the improved cylinder choke for the same distance though. Personally, I feel it's better to be overchoked than underchoked.

Using and switching choke tubes on a sporting clays course can cause you to think more about the size choke in your gun instead of concentrating on making the correct shot to the target. Too easy to blame the miss on your choke selection. I've seen many master class shooters use the IC choke tube on all the stations.

You also have added cleaning requirements when using choke tubes. You run the risk of having the choke tube freeze up in the barrel if the tube isn't taken out for a long time. It's no easy thing to free up a rusted in choke tube.

Last, you can decrease the value of some guns and limit the saleability if you ever want to sell one. This applies to some of the classic guns such as the model 12 and vintage guns such as Parkers, etc.

Steve McCarty
10-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Shot trap today with my GH with F/F chokes and I discovered that the full chokes are very tight. Will not mess with an old Parker tho.

I agree about mind set. I think that clay bird shooting and golf are similar when it comes to head games. I find if I'm gabbing with my fellow shooters, joking, etc. I don't shoot as well. Not the time for comedy.

Paul Harm
10-20-2012, 07:04 PM
I shoot only SxS's so I wouldn't think of screw in chokes. Skeet and L/M will do for just about anything except handicap trap. I usually try for .008 and .018 when choking one of my guns which is a tight skeet and tight L/M.

charlie cleveland
10-20-2012, 09:07 PM
i think the screw in chokes will be with us for a while...myself i liked them old polly chokes ugly devels they were but really good idea... charlie

Steve McCarty
10-21-2012, 03:00 PM
i think the screw in chokes will be with us for a while...myself i liked them old polly chokes ugly devels they were but really good idea... charlie

My current go to skeet gun is a 20 gauge, Rem model 11 with a Polychoke and I like it. I shoot it on the CyL setting I hear many guys mention how ugly they are. One guy said to me, "I don't like that potato out there". I don't mind it. I point a shotgun and never aim it, and the polychoke makes it easier to point.

Polychoke makes a device that is supposed to fit various screw in choke threads. I have never read a single positive review of one. From what I read the early, classic, Polychokes are better than these new ones. They cost $100 BTW.

Jeff Christie
11-01-2012, 05:00 PM
All my guns that have screw in chokes are 1/ ugly, 2/ black, 3/ Italian, and 4/ their name starts w/ a B. Ops, I forgot, one isn't black, isn't too ugly and starts w/ an F. The ugly black ones are goose guns. They live in the dirt.

I do actually change these chokes in the field as conditions warrant. For that reason and no other I use the extended, knurled after market Carlsons. Dropping a quarter (normal choke wrench for flush tubes) in a foot of snow or chisel plowed dirt does not normally work out too well. Otherwise the factory issued choke tubes are every bit the equal under almost all conditions as the super exotics (wad strippers, ported blah, blah, blah). They are not user friendly to quick change.

ed good
11-07-2012, 04:31 PM
luv dem polychokes!

Steve Kleist
11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
A long time ago, one of the best competitive shooters I have ever known said "Beware the Shooter who shoots only One Shotgun." To this day those words still ring true. Screw in chokes allow the all around shooter to excel.....unfortunately, not nearly as much fun as assembling a collection of guns over a lifetime.
I must admit I am a screw in kind of a guy.
Regards,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Rich Anderson
11-12-2012, 07:55 PM
I get a kick out these guys on the sporting clays coarse who are changeing chokes for each station. Some time ago one station had a report pair that was out there a little farther than normal for this course. The choke changers were busy putting in tighter chokes when I looked at my old SXS hammer gun and said to the effect "these will have to do". The station was two report pair, I missed the first target but broke the remaining three. I was asked what choke my gun was and the reply was "none & none" it was made befor choke was invented:shock:

Shoot what you have and enjoy it. This is supposed to be fun. 95% of my guns are either skt/skt or IC/M for choke constriction.

Steve McCarty
11-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I just bought a new/old Remington Model 11 in 16 gauge. I like 16s. It is a full choked gun and I'm sweating over the decision whether or not to have it threaded for choke tubes.

The gun is a 1931 issue in excellent shape and I kinda hate to futz with the bore, but when would I shoot a 16 with a full choke...?

I wanted a Browning Sweet Sixteen, but those things are spendy, so I bought this sorta sweetish Remington for about a quarter of the cost of the Browning gun and they really are about the same. If it had an open choke I'd shoot it at skeet. So the choke question has me all choked up...LOL.....sorry

Steve Kleist
11-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Mr. McCarty,
It all depends upon why you bought the gun. Some folks buy them to shoot them.
Good Luck,
Steve Kleist

Steve McCarty
11-17-2012, 07:16 PM
Mr. McCarty,
It all depends upon why you bought the gun. Some folks buy them to shoot them.
Good Luck,
Steve Kleist

Thank you, sir.

Rich Anderson
11-18-2012, 08:47 AM
Use spreaders. IF your going to open the choke I'd do it as a fixed choke not a screw in type.

Steve McCarty
11-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Use spreaders. IF your going to open the choke I'd do it as a fixed choke not a screw in type.

Why?

I don't even know if I can get spreaders for a 16.

Robert Rambler
11-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Some 16ga spreader options.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Spreader-410-Wads/products/661/

http://www.polywad.com/spredr-inserts.html

Rich Anderson
11-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Spreaders in a 16 are not hard to come by. RST makes very good ones. I wouldn't do screw in chokes because IMHO you have an older gun with this peconcieved modern contraption threaded into the barrel. I just really don't like them and have opened the chokes on a couple of Parkers but did it by going from full to Mod by reaming out the choke. I have never changed a choke tube even when I had guns with this option. I passed on a nice Purdy 16 once because someone put Briley thin wall chokes in it!:eek:

Steve McCarty
11-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Spreaders in a 16 are not hard to come by. RST makes very good ones. I wouldn't do screw in chokes because IMHO you have an older gun with this peconcieved modern contraption threaded into the barrel. I just really don't like them and have opened the chokes on a couple of Parkers but did it by going from full to Mod by reaming out the choke. I have never changed a choke tube even when I had guns with this option. I passed on a nice Purdy 16 once because someone put Briley thin wall chokes in it!:eek:

You have, of course, give voice to my delima. Except for some slight rust feathering on some of the receiver the gun is new. While it looks like it came out of the factory last week (except for the slight rust spots) it is 81 years old!

Bore was dirty, I scrubbed it out last night and she came up absolutely new. No wear on the lower tang. So the gun was in a closet somewhere where it survived for a generation or two.

Last night I had made my decision to have it threaded, and now I've changed it again. I'll get the spreaders and see how she shoots at skeet. I can drop a spreader into the chamber and slide a normal shell up the magazine and have a non-selecting double barrel, right?

These old Model 11's are almost considered as junk in the collector world. I think they are much better shotguns than that. They work like a Browning, but heft a little differently and are a slightly different shape.

Also the bead is mounted on a little pedistal to compensate for the thickness of the receiver. If held so the pedistal can be seen the gun will shoot a little high so you can get some float at the trap range, which I like and it compensates for the lower comb. I think - I have yet to shoot the gun. I got it just a few days ago.

Steve Kleist
11-18-2012, 01:10 PM
You have, of course, give voice to my delima. Except for some slight rust feathering on some of the receiver the gun is new. While it looks like it came out of the factory last week (except for the slight rust spots) it is 81 years old!

Bore was dirty, I scrubbed it out last night and she came up absolutely new. No wear on the lower tang. So the gun was in a closet somewhere where it survived for a generation or two.

Last night I had made my decision to have it threaded, and now I've changed it again. I'll get the spreaders and see how she shoots at skeet. I can drop a spreader into the chamber and slide a normal shell up the magazine and have a non-selecting double barrel, right?

These old Model 11's are almost considered as junk in the collector world. I think they are much better shotguns than that. They work like a Browning, but heft a little differently and are a slightly different shape.

Also the bead is mounted on a little pedistal to compensate for the thickness of the receiver. If held so the pedistal can be seen the gun will shoot a little high so you can get some float at the trap range, which I like and it compensates for the lower comb. I think - I have yet to shoot the gun. I got it just a few days ago.

Rich has a good idea with the spreaders.....at least give it a try. You have nothing to lose. I had a choke opened on a shotgun once and it still paterned too tight for my liking. Spreaders solved the problem. If you are not happy, you can always go with screw ins or have it opened.
Besides, it is the journey, not necessarily the destination, that is the most fun. A reloading friend or a good reloading supply store can be most helpful for spreader information.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

Jack Kuzepski
11-18-2012, 02:36 PM
I enjoy reading these threads to see how people are approaching things. Out of all my shotguns I have and have had (quite a few) only one has an adjustable choke, it's a Stevens 94 in 16 ga with the tenite stock and a factory polychoke. I set the choke to what I expect to need before entering the field then leave it, all the others I just shoot what choke it has.
I still remember a tag line from a member on another forum: " Most misses are in feet and a choke only gives you inches". I'm not knocking screw in chokes, I just know what works for me.

Jack Kuzepski

Jeff Christie
11-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I'd sure try the polywad spreaders. They work like Gangbusters. Even the 16 ga version which is sort of as red headed step-child. If shot 1 is a spreader is a spreader and shot 2 is a standard round you effectively have a side by side. I use the spreaders in a 20 ga Model 11 full choke that is in close relation time and condition-wise to your 16. Works great but I shoot it rarely. I do have a Sweet 16 w/ Briley steel shot choke tubes in it and used it for roosters in the no-tox mandated public lands. It has killed bushel of roosters but I have relegated it to the safe as Parkers (my great-grandfather's DHE) are more fun.

The Sweet 16 has a lot of warts but is one heck of a rooster gun. I might be persuaded to sell it to a good home. I'd have to think about it.

Steve McCarty
11-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Rich has a good idea with the spreaders.....at least give it a try. You have nothing to lose. I had a choke opened on a shotgun once and it still paterned too tight for my liking. Spreaders solved the problem. If you are not happy, you can always go with screw ins or have it opened.
Besides, it is the journey, not necessarily the destination, that is the most fun. A reloading friend or a good reloading supply store can be most helpful for spreader information.
Best Fishes,
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

I am going to have to get into shotshell reloading.

Steve McCarty
11-18-2012, 03:16 PM
I enjoy reading these threads to see how people are approaching things. Out of all my shotguns I have and have had (quite a few) only one has an adjustable choke, it's a Stevens 94 in 16 ga with the tenite stock and a factory polychoke. I set the choke to what I expect to need before entering the field then leave it, all the others I just shoot what choke it has.
I still remember a tag line from a member on another forum: " Most misses are in feet and a choke only gives you inches". I'm not knocking screw in chokes, I just know what works for me.

Jack Kuzepski

LOL! I like the quote.

As I have mentioned here before, I have a friend who shoots a Model 12 full choked gun at skeet and he does pretty well. He is not only shooting a tight choke; he's pumping too. He'll usually miss three or four, but it he shot the same range with a skeet gun he'd bust'em all - easy. There just may be a method to his madness, huh.

Steve McCarty
11-18-2012, 03:25 PM
I'd sure try the polywad spreaders. They work like Gangbusters. Even the 16 ga version which is sort of as red headed step-child. If shot 1 is a spreader is a spreader and shot 2 is a standard round you effectively have a side by side. I use the spreaders in a 20 ga Model 11 full choke that is in close relation time and condition-wise to your 16. Works great but I shoot it rarely. I do have a Sweet 16 w/ Briley steel shot choke tubes in it and used it for roosters in the no-tox mandated public lands. It has killed bushel of roosters but I have relegated it to the safe as Parkers (my great-grandfather's DHE) are more fun.

The Sweet 16 has a lot of warts but is one heck of a rooster gun. I might be persuaded to sell it to a good home. I'd have to think about it.

Seems to me that some guys can shoot over the hump and some cannot. Since some of my earliest shooting was with my grandfather's ancient Model 11, 12 ga, I'm used to that hump and I kinda prefer it.

I'm shooting a Model 11, 20 with a Polychoke at skeet now, and the Parker SBT at trap. I do change guns every now and then just because I like to, but it doesn't help my scores any.

Steve McCarty
11-18-2012, 03:36 PM

I have never re-bored a choke so that it does not match what is stamped on the barrel. [Actually I have, once.] I guess I'm thinking of the guy who buys the gun in a pawn shop sometime in the future, after I've gone to the big dove hunt in the sky.

My wife asks, "What am I going to do with all of these blankety-blank guns after you die?" I tell her to use them as bait to snag another husband, which causes her to think.

Maybe I should hire a food taster. :corn:

Rich Anderson
11-18-2012, 07:18 PM
As I stated earlier I have opened the chokes on a couple of Parkers, Gunner's Parker is an excellent example as it was M/F and now it's skt/skt. I have been shooting tighter chokes on sporting clays in the belief tha it might help me concentrate more therefor improve my shooting. If I had a gun that was unsuited to my use and opening the choke would make it beneficial to me then I'd do it and not worry about the next guy who uses it.

Dennis V. Nix
11-18-2012, 09:34 PM
I only have one shotgun with screw in choke tubes and it is a Remington 870 Police Model. I have only used the screw in chokes once when I was invited to go duck hunting and it was so I could use steel shot. It was the only gun I had suitable for steel. Having said that let's not forget that just because the shotgun barrel is marked with a choke designation doesn't mean it really IS that marked choke. I have heard of full choke guns which are really modified etc. I generally shoot side by sides and like them to be choked improved cylinder and modified. My Parker 12 gauge GH is improved modified and full and I seem to shoot it as well as any other gun I have. I used to shy away from any gun marked full choke as I couldn't hit anything with the full choke barrel. I don't know if my shooting has gotten better or guns I am using aren't really full choke. I suspect they are full choke though. I guess my long winded point is there really is a purpose for different chokes such as skeet or improved cylinder for quail. But if all you have is a full choke gun I guess it will do just fine.

Daryl Corona
11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Dennis;
Choke probably had little to do with your improved shooting. More than likely the gun fit you much better and of course it was a Parker so there you go.

Dennis V. Nix
11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Makes sense to me except I shoot all of my guns a little better now. I don't know if I would like shooting skeet with a full choke but it sure would be fun to try.

Jack Kuzepski
11-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Steve,

An interesting thought is that shooting a pump is not too much of a handicap. Several years ago I was giving some shooting tips to a younger (30 something) shooter at the skeet range. He was practicing before his father in law showed up. He said he needed the practice because his father in law shot an over under and always beat him; he was shooting a full choked well used model 12 Winchester. So I asked him "doesn't that gun almost eject the shell on its own?" He said that it did but he had to push the forend forward and that kind of threw him off on doubles. So I told him that he really had the advantage. When he held the forend in his left hand, let the first finger sit along the side of the forend and when the gun was fired let the shell almost eject itsself but when he pushed forward on the forend to point his finger toward the second target and remount the gun to his face in a smooth motion. He said he'd try it. I pulled skeet for the pair of them when the father in law showed up. They shot the usual 2 rounds of skeet. Father in law shot his usual 46 out of 50. Son in law ran 2 straights.

Jack Kuzepski

Tom Carter
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Jack, Will you coach me? Tom

Daryl Corona
11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Jack;
Other than my SxS's I love shooting my M12's and you were spot on with that young man and his forward hand. Those old M12's just about pump themselves although you need a load with some recoil to accomplish that. I shoot my 3/4oz. loads in mine and there is no recoil to assist that forward hand so I have to force myself to remember to push the forend forward to unlock the bolt. Thanks for taking the time to assist that young whippersnapper in learning how to shoot (and whoop his father-in-law):bigbye:

Jack Kuzepski
11-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Tom,

I'll be glad to TRY to help anybody. With the younger guy, I just wanted to get rid of his excuse and let him believe in himself.

Jack