PDA

View Full Version : A good one!

Joe Bernfeld
10-12-2012, 04:43 PM
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Parker-Reproduction-DHE-12ga-28-IC-M.cfm?gun_id=100287087

Looks like a nice one for ducks. Good price and DT too!

Bill Murphy
10-12-2012, 07:48 PM
It must be a heck of a pit to bring the price down to this level. If the chokes are marked as they are described, this is a SSS. Funny, all of Jaqua's other Repros are priced correctly. Scarce gun, priced wrong, go for it. Ask about the pit, but don't wait too long to write the check. I'm not buying a gun today, but if I were, this would be the one.

Rex Northen
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Based on my limited time following the repro guns, pricing seems to be coming down rather than going up. Hope I'm wrong as I own a couple, but I've now seen a few (12's and 20's) offered between $3-$3500, with a couple of 28's just north of there...

Joe Bernfeld
10-13-2012, 02:42 PM
It must be a heck of a pit to bring the price down to this level. If the chokes are marked as they are described, this is a SSS. Funny, all of Jaqua's other Repros are priced correctly. Scarce gun, priced wrong, go for it. Ask about the pit, but don't wait too long to write the check. I'm not buying a gun today, but if I were, this would be the one.

It is not a Steel Shot Special. They made a number of non-"SSS" 12 ga. guns in 3" chamber, 28" IC/Mod. I own one.

Bill Murphy
10-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Is there a difference in the guns themselves other than the SS markings? Let's get to the bottom of this after much discussion.

Joe Bernfeld
10-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Well, in the SSS thread, Bill's SSS weighs the same as my non-SSS, even with a BT forend, and 1 oz lighter bbls! I don't have a bore or choke guage, but I'd be willing to bet that the only difference is that Dunn's got Parker Repros to stamp SS on the first 275 (?) and call them Steel Shot Specials. Since all Repros (not full choke) are recommended for steel shot, and the weight is the same, I don't see how or why they would have "beefed" anything up. Perhaps Richard Skeuse could offer some insight. Richard...?

Bill Murphy
10-14-2012, 10:56 AM
I agree with Joe, marked or unmarked, 3" 28" barrel 12 gauges marked IC and M are all the same gun. I can't believe the Jaqua gun is still there.

Richard Flanders
10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
That is a nice one, and hardly used. Two days in a duck blind or the pheasant fields and it would be missing a LOT more case coloring than that. Mine suffered more color loss than that has just from riding around in the case in my car for two days. If I wanted a 12ga repro I'd be all over this one, pit or not pit. I'm guessing it doesn't come with the case as it's not mentioned.

Joe Bernfeld
10-14-2012, 08:12 PM
You need to protect your case colors with lacquer or Tru-Oil. I've used both, and my wife's 28 ga. and my 12 ga. duck gun haven't lost any case colors in 3 years of use.

Richard Flanders
10-14-2012, 08:19 PM
I lacquered it after the fact. It lost color in getting shipped to me; they didn't wrap the pieces in bubble wrap and I couldn't figure out what all the little shiny metal flakes were in the case when I opened it but found out shortly after when I had it in the car for a couple of days. I lacquered 3 Repros after that. Just taped up the wood around the edges and sprayed it. The 28ga has lost more color after that from some extensive carrying in the woods. The lacquer wears well but does wear off after a bit. I can't be bothered doing it again; let it wear.... You can even touch the colors up carefully with a blue Sharpie marker then spray it and you can't even tell if you do it right.

charlie cleveland
10-14-2012, 09:18 PM
richard you ought to be a gunsmith.i d send my repo to you for touching up if i had one... charlie

Eric Grims
10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Tru oil on the receiver? Just apply and whipe off as you do on wood?

Joe Bernfeld
10-22-2012, 09:45 AM
I used a small brush. A Q-tip would work too but might leave some strands behind. It won't do much if you wipe it off. You need a layer left on, which when dry, protects the colors.