PDA

View Full Version : SSS?

Joe Bernfeld
10-08-2012, 12:36 PM
I notice that CSMC has listed a Repro on Guns International that they claim is a Steel Shot Special. Didn't they have a serial # that began with SS?

Greg Baehman
10-08-2012, 07:39 PM
According to The Parker Story they were marked on the water table "12 SS" as part of the serial number. I have a friend that has a SSS and that's how his is marked. What I find confusing is that the example shown and identified in TPS as a B-Grade SSS doesn't have the markings as they describe.

Joe Bernfeld
10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I didn't know they made any B grade Steel Shot Specials. I thought it was a run of 275 (?) DHEs sold by Dunn's (Jaeger's). I bought one years ago (sold it) and I am pretty sure it had SS before the serial number on the trigger guard tang, unlike the one CSMC is selling. It definitely had SS before the number on the water table. I think CSMC is misrepresenting this gun. It wouldn't surprise me :banghead:!

Charles Shelton
10-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Gents,
I will check my DHE SSS later today and get back to you on the topics discussed.

Joe Bernfeld
10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Is it my imagination, or did the price go down $1,500 since yesterday :eek:? I thought they were asking $6,250. I emailed them asking if the serial # started with SS, but of course got no reply...:rolleyes:.
I just checked their website, and they have both prices listed ($4,750 and $6,250). I guess you're supposed to pick the one you like best.

Charles Shelton
10-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Joe,
Maybe your ? led them to discover they do not have a SSS? If so, surely you can expect a polite Thank You from them soon.

Joe Bernfeld
10-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Joe,
Maybe your ? led them to discover they do not have a SSS? If so, surely you can expect a polite Thank You from them soon.

Right :rotf:.

Charles Shelton
10-09-2012, 10:35 PM
Joe and all,
Possibly I spoke too soon, :o.
The Parker Repro 12 ga with 3 inch chambers in 28 inch M/IC barrels on a 1 1/2 frame that my wife gave me as an anniverserary present years ago may NOT be a SSS as it was said to be by the "reputable" dealer where she bought it. The serial number is shown in multiple places as either 12-1234 or 12-01234(not the actual digits). In no place does it have SSS.
Based upon a bit of Google work tonight, the preponderance of evidence indicates that all steel shot specials did have SSS- in the serial number.

Mine has DT, SS, SF and is a great shotgun, but it seems that I will have to stop telling folks that it is a SSS(bye, bye snob appeal). I find it curious that various sources state in print that there were only 250, 275, 350, etc. SSS made; I will stop quoting such numbers also, since I really do not know what is correct.

Though a bit dissapointed it is not SSS, it was a wonderful anniversary present and is a pleasure to shoot. I think I will go kill some birds with it soon and forget about the SSS business. :)

Joe Bernfeld
10-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Charles, I too, as I have posted before along with pictures, own a 12 ga, 3" chambers, 28" IC/Mod, straight stock, splinter forend, DT Repro. It is my duck gun, but it is not a Steel Shot Special. As I mentioned, they had "SS" (not SSS) before the serial number on the water table. I just don't remember if it was on the trigger guard tang also, although I'm pretty sure it was. I can tell no other difference, although it has been reported that the SSS had heavier barrels. My SSS that I sold weighed about the same as the non-SSS I now own, even though it had a beavertail and pistol grip, so I don't think the barrels were any different.

Gerry Addison
10-10-2012, 10:08 AM
I have a steel shot special and it is only marked on the water table. Here is the number 12SS - 0XXX. Not marked SS on the trigger tang. Mine is 28" and they had special choking that was for shooting the steel shot. They are marked IC and MOD. This is the second one I've owned and they are both marked this way.

Joe Bernfeld
10-10-2012, 10:30 AM
Thanks Gerry. That answers my question about the trigger guard tang.

Tom Carter
10-10-2012, 10:57 AM
Are there any special markings on the barrels, or just the SS on the water table? Thanks, Tom

William Stevenson
10-10-2012, 09:53 PM
My steel shot special is marked 12SS then the serial number on the water table. The SS marking is not found anywhere else on my gun. Bill

Tom Carter
10-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks Bill. Tom

Kenny Graft
10-11-2012, 08:08 AM
My SS-spl is 12oz heavier than my regular 12ga 2 3/4" M/F/ gun, it has a splinter pistol grip and the SS has BTF and english grip. I will weigh the barrel sets only to compair weight when I get some free time......I think the SS barrels will be approx 8oz heavier. My bores on the SS gun with my stan baker gauge reads .735 and chokes are .007/.012 I will also check the non SS bores ??.....chokes are marked M/F and read .012/.035 One special note....my new SS-spl has single trigger so I tried the barrel set and beaver tail on my DT gun and they fit perfectly!....infact the splinter forend even will fit the SS barrels to make a real nice optioned repro... Gotta love them repro's.....((-: thanks all SXS ohio

Joe Bernfeld
10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
Well, I answered my own question. I called CSMC and they reduced the price to $4750 because it is not a Steel Shot Special. They thought the difference was chrome lined bbls; I assured him (Lou) that all Parker Repros have chrome lined bbls. Still a nice gun for anyone who wants the 12 ga with 3" chambers, and 28" IC/Mod bbls. Mine took a double on Mallards this morning. Too bad this one has a single trigger :p.
P.S. Kenny. I weighed mine today and it is 7 lbs, 2 oz.

Bill Murphy
10-12-2012, 08:54 PM
If it is marked 3", and is 28" and marked improved cylinder and modified, it is a Steel Shot Special or a special order. Either way, it is worth a premium over other 12 gauge Repros. The Jaqua 28" gun is a SSS or a special order if it is actually marked improved cylinder and modified.

William Stevenson
10-12-2012, 11:23 PM
It's not a steel shot special unless it has the 12SS prefix to the serial number on the water table. Bill

Bill Murphy
10-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Let's see what the report is on barrel weights. I am guessing the barrel weights are identical for the SSS and standard 28" guns. An unmarked gun with identical features as the SSS may not be a SSS but the guns are identical if the barrel weights are identical.

William Stevenson
10-13-2012, 01:49 PM
I agree, but nonetheless, a gun marked 12SS will always command a higher price as it is a "Steel Shot Special" with factory markings. Won't shoot any different or better but that's the way it is. Bill

Joe Bernfeld
10-13-2012, 03:45 PM
If it is marked 3", and is 28" and marked improved cylinder and modified, it is a Steel Shot Special or a special order. Either way, it is worth a premium over other 12 gauge Repros. The Jaqua 28" gun is a SSS or a special order if it is actually marked improved cylinder and modified.

I called. It is not a Steel Shot Special. I weighed the bbls on my 28" IC/MOD non-SSS and they weigh 3 lbs, 2 oz. Someone with a SSS want to weigh their bbls?

William Stevenson
10-13-2012, 07:11 PM
I'll weigh mine when I get in tonight. Primitive weapon deer season opened today and I'm setting in a deer condo waiting one out. One of my guests shot a nice doe this morning. Bill

Gerry Addison
10-13-2012, 08:53 PM
From what I have read and been told the only difference was they choked them specially to produce better patterns with steel shot. The first one I owned actually had pattern sheets from the factory showing how it shot.

Terry Hobson
10-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Hellow everyone, I have been a lurker for years and this discussion pushed me over the edge to join. I really enjoy visiting this forum.

I do have a SSS. I purchased this gun in the late 80's from John Allen at Game Fair. He had just left Dunn's where he played a part bringing the SSS to market.
The biggest reason I purchased it was because I wanted a 12 ga. with 28" barrels choked IC/M. I was told that all the other 12 ga guns choked IC/M were only with 26" barrels. It weighs 7lb 4 oz, but as I was 30yrs younger at the time I was not too worried about the weight.
It is straight stock, double trigger, spinter forend. I sent the gun to Skeuse in NJ and had a set of 30" M/F barrels added a couple years later along with a 2 barrel case. I am so thankful that I purchased this gun. At the time I was not concerned with steel shot or rarity. I used this gun for a few years as an upland gun. Later I switched to smaller bore guns.

It does have the 12SS-xxxx on the receiver, forend, and barrels. Not sure just what the differences are between it and a standard 12, other that english walnut and 28" barrel choking. John told me that the receiver was "beefed up" in the interior.

Proably will never part with this gun......to versitile.

William Stevenson
10-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Joe, my SSS bbl's weigh 3lbs 1oz, the whole gun is 7lbs 2oz. I looked at it closer and it has the 12SS marking on the bbl flat also. 28" marked IC & Mod, single trigger, beaver tail forend and English stock with skeleton butt plate. Briley thin wall chokes were added by the origional owner, a gun writer of some note who wrote about the gun back in the 80's. Bill