PDA

View Full Version : Ned to buy replacement screw

Charles Shelton
09-28-2012, 09:31 PM
While dove hunting this month , I noticed the screw directly in front of the trigger guard of my 20 guage was missing. The gun still functions normally, but there a hole into the bottom of the action where dirt could enter.
Can anyone tell me the function of the screw and where to get a replacement?
Here is a picture of the bottom of the action:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/CRS0137/2012-09-28195648.jpg

For comparison, here is a pictures of the bottom of my 12 with the screw in place.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m207/CRS0137/2012-09-28200044.jpg

David Dwyer
09-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Contact Tom Carter, he makes custom Parker screws and they are great!
David

Charles Shelton
09-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Thank you, David. I just sent Tom a PM.

Jerry Harlow
09-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Charles,

To answer your question what does it do, it along with the other two hold the front of the floorplate in place. Along with the two screws through the stock at the rear, they hold the gun together. As long as all others are tight it will not in my opinion hurt to continue shooting it.

But with that being said, the gun that has the same screw in place shows that someone has been inside of it and either did not tighten it correctly (enough) to get them all timed north/south or they have the screws in the wrong holes. I would have someone with a correctly sized screwdriver who knows what they are doing to check them and get them timed, that is if you don't know how to yourself. If two screws are short and there is a long one it is for the rear. The left side has a single slash cut into end.

If all three are the same length: Left screw (under the left barrel) has a single slash, Right screw has nothing, and back screw has a + cut into the end. I've never been into a repro but am just making the assumption that they are like the originals.

Charles Shelton
09-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Jerry,
Thank you for the information and for the observations on the 12 ga screws.
It may be that many years back, when I had the 12 ga stock bent to fit me, that the action was removed and the screws not properly reoplaced. I will look closer and see what I can determine.

joe breda
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I just purchased a 28 DHE and took it apart to preform a Safety-ectomy on it (Removed the irritating auto safety shaft, BTW meaning irritating when shooting skeet) The three screws were as followed: Also it needed a little heat to break them free. I believe this piece I have was never taken apart !
the back screw was blank, zero so to speak, the left one has a dot punch mark on it, and the right one had 2 dot punch marks on it, so to re-assemble it correctly. I do believe the originial had the groves filed into the bottom of them ! This order was viewd from breach to muzzel.

Jerry Harlow
10-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Thanks Joe. Good to know the difference in originals and repros.

joe breda
10-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Personally, and to me, They are exact reproductions, there are a few slight differences in the engraving and a few other very minor things like how the screws were marked. I studied my Repro in detail for a few hours and compared it to a few originals I have. I even believe the crafstmanship is better and the metalurgy is definately better, but some may argue that point. The only thing I see differnt than an original Parker is... It wasn't made by Parker !
Just my humble opinion !