PDA

View Full Version : Mec 400

Paul Harm
09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
At our club gun show I picked up a mec 400. I had never seen one before - thought it was for roll crimps. It was just an early single stage press. But with it came all the dies for 12, 16, and 20 ga shells. Also instructions and a bunch of old charge bars without bushings for powder and a lot of 12ga paper wads. All for $20. Not too bad.

Eric Eis
09-24-2012, 09:42 AM
You did real good on that deal....

Keith Parrish
09-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Paul,

Could we see this 400?

Paul Harm
09-26-2012, 11:54 AM
All I know about computers is how to get on the internet, not post pictures. I was telling another shooter at the club about it and he said he just gave one to his son. The same guy lent me a heater to warm paper shells to remelt the wax in them back down to the mouth so they could be reloaded a few more times. I touch some bees wax to the outside as I rotate them so as to add a little wax to the shell. He said the heater was bolted next to the press and he watched his dad heat the shells then reload them with paper wads. The instructions with my press shows how to reload paper wads. It's funny how you get something thinking no one else would still have one and the guy next to you says he has one also and his kid is useing it.

Keith Parrish
09-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Thats pretty neat how things work out that way!

I did manage to look up the 400 on the MEC site and other places had pictures. It sure looks like a machine that will work just fine. I like how you can interchange the gauges.

I sure wish they made easly interchangable parts for my 650. I could use a 20ga reloader.

Speaking of finding things or people you never expected. Where I work at there is a gentle man that has worked there for 6 months and I have spoken to him many times. Just the other day he said how much he'd rather be on the range. We got to talking and he knows his stuff and has given me pointers with my newest toy, ( RCBS Rock Chucker) I plan on loading some 44mag, .223, and 25-06. WOW was I suprised that I have a fellow reloader in my same company.

Paul Harm
09-27-2012, 01:45 PM
It's always great to find someone with like interest. Happy " chucking on your rock".

John Farrell
10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Paul - to reheat and wax my 16 gauge paper hulls, I use an electric ladies curler iron in the 5/8" size. The 12 gauge hulls can also be heated on the same iron. There are smaller diameter curlers that will work with the 20 gauge.

Photos attached showing two 16 gauge hulls on a double curler picked up at a thrift store. You can find these curlers in thrifts and flea markets at $3-$5. Or new up to $35. I use just plain old candle wax. If I can find some paraffin at a good price I use it.

PM to follow.

John Farrell
10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Paul - to reheat and wax my 16 gauge paper hulls, I use an electric ladies curler iron in the 5/8" size. The 12 gauge hulls can also be heated on the same iron. There are smaller diameter curlers that will work with the 20 gauge.

Photos attached showing two 16 gauge hulls on a double curler picked up at a thrift store. You can find these curlers in thrifts and flea markets at $3-$5. Or new up to $35. I use just plain old candle wax. If I can find some paraffin at a good price I use it.

PM to follow.

Paul Harm
10-10-2012, 03:29 PM
John, if ever I run into one I'll give back the heater my friend gave me. Thanks for the tip. Paul

John Farrell
10-10-2012, 07:03 PM
I am going to try (again) to send a photo of a double curler heater I use. Ooops! I did not know the previous photo delivered. Well, here is the one showing how the curler works.

Steve McCarty
10-16-2012, 05:36 PM

PM to follow.

Hey, John if your wife finds out that you've sat that thingy on her fine lace table clothe you are going to be in hot water!

John Farrell
10-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Ah, the joy of living by one's self. I usually pose my Parker guns on that needlework table cloth, just because I can, without getting nasty looks or comments. I also drink whiskey out of the bottle while having ribs or chicken out of the smoker when I have dinner in the dining room.

When she left 20 years ago she asked me which of the horses did I want. I replied I would just keep the 3 birddogs in the kennel. Best thing ever happened to me and my life.

Steve McCarty
10-18-2012, 12:41 AM
LOL: Welp; John you have said a whole lot there! I have always said that there are advantages and disadvantages to everything, and I think you have just pointed up one from being single!

She left and you kept her hair burner and it fixes empties. Another advantage.

Harold Lee Pickens
10-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Paul, that was a great deal, but I got an even better one.
I was given a Mec 600jr in 16 ga, a Mec 600 in 12 ga, an old Pacific 150 in 12ga with a new in-the-box 16ga conversion kit. 20 boxes of old fiber wads in 12, 16, and 20 ga. and many bags and boxes of plastic wads (most I wont use). I got these from an older patient of mine who has stopped shooting. I teased him by asking where all the powder and shot were.
Then , I bought a new Lee LOad-All in 20ga from Angel for $20.
I guess the Gods have smiled on both of us. Leaving tomorow for a 2 week grouse hunting trip in the UP, I cant wait.
Shoot straight. Harold