PDA

View Full Version : The American Sportsman, Wilbur Parker, Prop.

Bill Murphy
09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
We know that Ed Muderlak did some research in the National Sporting Museum, leafing through old issues of The American Sportsman from the 1870s. However, he never mentioned any of these publications from private collections. Do any of our members have copies of The American Sportsman in their collections. Mullins and Price pictured a few covers in The Parker Story, but they were probably scans provided to them from our members.

Bill Murphy
09-30-2012, 01:15 PM
No American Sportsman issues among our paper collectors?

Destry L. Hoffard
10-08-2012, 03:24 PM
I had seven issues at one time but they went to Muderlak in a trade. I believe he later sold his original copies to another collector. He had at least a dozen if memory serves.

DLH

Bill Murphy
10-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Destry, I have Ed's list of miscellaneous Parker paper for sale around here somewhere. I'll try to locate it.

Destry L. Hoffard
10-08-2012, 05:40 PM
They may or may not be on there, he sold stuff off before he ever did that list.

DLH

Bill Murphy
10-09-2012, 08:14 AM
You are right, Destry. The "list" was rather bland. If there had been American Sportsman copies, I would have pounced on them.

Todd Kaltenbach
10-25-2012, 10:38 PM
I was able to buy a couple of issues from Ed Muderlack when he put them up for sale. I bought all he had at the time which was 4 issues if I remember correctly.

Bill Murphy
11-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Some day I will get over to the Sporting Museum in Middleburg and search the stacks. Very recently, after many years of searching, I was able to purchase a bound volume of Ameican Sportsman from April to October of 1874. I have read the shooting sections, all 26 issues, cover to cover. It is not quite as interesting as sporting publications of the 1880's, but still an insight into the mind of Wilbur F. Parker. All of my previous shooting publications have been post clay target period. The American Sportsman has no clay target shooting results, only pigeons.

Marty Kohler
11-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Bill, I have a Feb 1887 and a Sept 1910...........I could send you for reading or copying if you have an interest...Marty