PDA

View Full Version : CSM .410 barrels vs. Dove

Chuck Heald
09-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I had the Repro with the CSM .410 barrels out for the Yuma openner on dove. The full/full choked barrels accounted for 10 whitewings in the morning and about 20 high flying (some really high) Eurasian collared dove in the afternoon.

I used 7 1/2 shot on the whitewings and some 6 shot 3" shells on the high flying Eurasians after noting that the 7 1/2s were not cutting it.

I think I'm really pleased with the gun as a .410. Although, I did find the chambers a little tight and the extractor rods could stand to be trimmed a bit to ensure the gun doesn't close on the rims. I'll get on that this week. I have a new reamer and I want to put long cones in this one too.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c125/roaniecowpony/DSC_4344.jpg

George M. Purtill
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
what a sweet thing!!

Joe Bernfeld
09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
30 doves in a day. You must really like to eat doves :)!

charlie cleveland
09-04-2012, 06:55 PM
wish my stevens 410 looked that good...i may try it on doves at my next outing...glad your barrels worked out you have a great looking gun...and it must shoot good too... charlie

Paul Ehlers
09-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Very nice !!! You really lucked out with your CSMC barrels. This makes a very nice & unique repro. for sure.

I'm glad it all worked out for you!!!!

Pat Dugan
09-04-2012, 09:58 PM
please let me know if "extractor rods could stand to be trimmed a bit" works out ok

Thanks

Pat

Chuck Heald
09-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Pat,
Will do.

My thoughts on this issue are: when the gun is fired and the shells ejected, the ejectors are in the "ejected" or "tripped" position. The extractors are pushed out about another 1/16"-1/8" further when in the ejected position than when the ejectors are cocked (closing the gun cocks the ejectors) and then the gun openned again.

When new cartridges inserted in the gun after firing, the tripped ejectors push the extractor rods out more and cause the rims of the shells to hang up on the breachface, unless pressure is put on the shell heads upon closing, or if the gun is fired, openned to eject, closed, and openned again, then loaded. I'll get on this soon, since it's a real pain in the field but soon forgotten if I don't do it right away.

Chuck Heald
09-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Pat,
I recut the chambers and cut the long cones tonight. It seems to have cured all the problems. I'll have to check it some more and shoot it this weekend. I still need to polish the cones and chambers. But I didn't shorten the extractors.

Rich Anderson
09-06-2012, 10:28 PM
You said it was F/F, do you know what the actual constrictions are? I have a CSM Fox 410 that is .022 & .023 which equate to extra full and ridiculously full.

Chuck Heald
09-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Rich,
The chokes are .017/.017". When I ordered the barrels, they were listed as being available in IC/Mod as I recall. I simply asked if they would leave them full/full. Carol wrote it on the order card and said "maybe". When they came in, they were as asked. I do wish they were .020/.020, but the long cones I just cut yesterday and polished for the last few hours will tighten it up further. The pattern board will tell.

Rich Anderson
09-07-2012, 06:26 PM
I think mine are way to tight for shooting clays and what little hunting I'll do with it. I was thinking of opening them up to .006 & .010 basicly skeet II and modified.

Kenny Graft
09-07-2012, 07:07 PM
My factory repro 410 barrels are .006/.009 IC/M I was very impressed with how well it kills sporting clays targets if not past 30-35yrds PG-DT-BTF At 6lbs and 4oz its a real nice shooter...................SXS ohio

charlie cleveland
09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
rich you have some very fine chokes there...youll need them full chokes for squirls in tall timber and those high flyin big collared doves.... charlie

Rich Anderson
09-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Charlie my Tree Rat weapon is a Kimber .22LR and we have no Dove season in Michigan. I might use the 410 on a preserve hunt or possible Woodcock.

Chuck Heald
09-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Rich,
I think Kenny's setup is great for clays and quail/dove in close.

I have a NID with Mod/Cyl (previous owner's choice) and I find it to be my favorite .410 for quail. I will say that the 3" long cones that I put in my .410's does make them shoot tighter or should I say that the damaged shot is reduced and the pattern holds together much further out than would be expected from any give choke size. My cylinder barrel impresses most folks that see it pattern, on how tight it actually shoots.

If I were to chose chokes for a quail gun, I would pick .000-.004 in the first barrel and .020 in the second, regardless if over a pointer or flushing dog (I have both).

Chuck Heald
09-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Pat,
I did all the chamber work and polishing. It did all be completely cure the issues with the rims hanging on the frame. However, when the gun was held sideways, the gravity didn't let the shells fall into the chambers and I decided I may encounter a problem with dirty chamber or different ammo that was tight, so I elected to shorten the extractor guide rods.

Some of the guys on the doublegun site thought that the extractors push against the breachface to cock the ejector mechanism in the forend. I discovered this is not the case by removing the extractors from the barrels and functioning the action and ejectors. They cock regardless of whether the extractors are in place.

I shortened the extractors by about .032" each and they now function flawlessly and do not allow the rims to be above the frame.

Regards
Chuck

Pat Dugan
09-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Chuck,
I sent you a message

Pat

Chuck Heald
09-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Pat,
I think I replied. Check. If you didn't get a detailed reply, post here and I'll re-type it.

markbuchanan
09-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi Chuck, I was also in Yuma for the opener with my Parker 28, and waiting patiently for my .410 barrels. If you dont mind I would like to call or email you a few questions. I live in San Diego and hunt in Yuma and Mexicali often.

mark@buchananshaw.com
858-356-4006

Thanks!

Rich Anderson
09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Chuck are you using the 3 inch shell? I have only shot the 2 1/2 with #8 shot as that is what I can reload. I think the shorter hull with a little less shot might pattern better. i was going to take her out today but there was a 4H Hunter Safty class going on so no open shooting...but hey the kids need to learn also.

Chuck Heald
09-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Rich,
Yes, I shoot mostly 3" shells out of my .410's as I don't use them for clays. I haven't done any comparisions of 3" vs 2 1/2". But I'm very happy with the patterns I'm getting from my long cone guns.

Mark,
I'll PM my phone and email.

Regards
Chuck