PDA

View Full Version : Repro Chamber Length

Robert Massie
08-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Has anyone had any experiance in lengthing chambers from 2 3/4 to 3" on a Parker Repro. I am refering to a 12ga. I would like to use for waterfowl. I have been looking for a 3" chamber gun for a while now and the one's I have found are quite a bit more expensive than 2 3/4". I suspect fewer were made.

Fred Preston
08-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Are there any #2 frame Repro 12s?

Greg Baehman
08-26-2012, 07:44 PM
No, only 1 1/2 frames.

Robert Massie
08-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Guess not ????

Daryl Corona
08-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Why? A 2 3/4" load will kill any waterfowl I've ever hunted. A 3" load will kill at both ends.

Dean Romig
08-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Don't most Repro 12's have 3" chambers? I know the 20's do so I just presumed the 12's did too.

Bob Jurewicz
08-28-2012, 08:31 AM
3" chambers are not common in either 12G or 20G guns!
Bob Jurewicz

Greg Baehman
08-28-2012, 09:05 AM
I've been under the impression that most, if not all, 20-ga. 28" Repros have 3" chambers and that most (but not all) 12-ga. 28" Repros have 3" chambers. And that most, if not all, 12 and 20-ga. 26" Repros have 2 3/4" chambers.

EDIT: Per the linked attached chart the SCC and SSS models were the only 12-ga. 28" guns with standard 3" chambers from the factory. The .410, 26" and 20-ga. 28" guns were standard fare with factory 3" chambers.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=99&pictureid=1021

Donovan Kirkpatrick
08-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Guess I have the exceptions. My SCC is marked 2 3/4" and my 12 ga with 26 inch bbls, choked IC/MOD is marked 3".

Bill Murphy
08-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Donovan, I believe your sporting clays gun is not an exception and the chart may have an error. Parker Repro paperwork is not 100% accurate. There are a few errors. Your 26" gun with 3" chambers is certainly an exception, probably a special order.

Greg Baehman
08-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Donovan, did you ever measure your SCC's chambers?
See this thread:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=544

Bill Murphy
08-28-2012, 11:30 AM
What about the .740 bore measurements? Is that a rumor or truth? What about the "heavier barrel" statement? Now we have owners who have SC models with both 2 3/4" and 3" chambers. How about that?

Dean Romig
08-28-2012, 11:45 AM
My DHE 20 ga. Repro "skeet gun" with both 26" Q1 & Q2 and 28" Q1 & Q2 barrels have 3" chambers in both sets of barrels.

Peter Clark
08-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Donovan, I believe your sporting clays gun is not an exception and the chart may have an error. Parker Repro paperwork is not 100% accurate. There are a few errors. Your 26" gun with 3" chambers is certainly an exception, probably a special order.

I love dragging out pictures of my 12! Check out the lengths and chokes. I think it is quite uncommon and one of my favorites.

Donovan Kirkpatrick
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM
I have never measured my SCC chambers. Been tempted to buy a gauge, both choke and chamber. Just never gotten around to it. I always find another gun to spend the $$$ on.

Robert Massie
08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
In the past I have had Briley do work on some of my guns ( but never any of my SxS's). I was talking with one of their people the other day and asked if the Parker Reproductions were good canidates for chamber lengthening he said he had never done this with one of the Parker Reproductions and would have to see the gun. I thought some of you might have had this done I'll just box it up and send it to Briley for a look. Thanks. As for the guy that thinks 2 3/4 shells are just as effective as 3" for waterfowl he is either shooting led, shells loaded with stuff I can't afford to shoot, or does not do much waterfowl hunting

Daryl Corona
08-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Robert;
With all due respect I've been hunting waterfowl here on the Chesapeake Bay for well over 45yrs at least 2 times per week plus trips out to the western states to hunt pothole ducks, so I feel I'm somewhat qualified to say this. I do not shoot steel, I either shoot bismuth or tungsten matrix, which is very effective and I make it a point to be the best shot I can be. That is only achieved by burning alot of powder all year long and not by relying on a roman candle load. The art of waterfowling is about decoying birds to within reasonable range and then making a clean kill. I detest "
skybusters". You can shoot what you like but I'll stick by my original statement that 3" loads are not needed and are not as efficient as a 2 3/4" load. That is a ballistic reality. If you want to shoot a load that heavy go to a 10ga. which can handle that much shot. In shotgun shooting sometimes less is more but we Americans just have to have our 3 1/2" cannons to kill a 4lb. duck or 12lb. goose. Don't even get me started about those folks who think they need #4's or 5's to kill a pheasant and this new generation of turkey loads that could bring down a Cessna. Have a nice day:bigbye:

Dean Romig
08-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Well stated Mr. 2-Labs

Robert Massie
08-28-2012, 10:39 PM
I do shoot steel and alot of it ( flooded timber in the morning and chasing snows in the afternoon) I don't hunt a couple of times a week, only come home a couple of times a season. I hunt in northeast Arkansas I guess the birds are tougher down there and we only skybust when the birds aren't close. My original post was a question about a gun that may save me having to ship it (sorry). My intention was not to debate ammo choice or hunting ethics . Shoot what you like that's why they make different flavors. That is all

Peter Clark
08-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Robert;
With all due respect I've been hunting waterfowl here on the Chesapeake Bay for well over 45yrs at least 2 times per week plus trips out to the western states to hunt pothole ducks, so I feel I'm somewhat qualified to say this. I do not shoot steel, I either shoot bismuth or tungsten matrix, which is very effective and I make it a point to be the best shot I can be. That is only achieved by burning alot of powder all year long and not by relying on a roman candle load. The art of waterfowling is about decoying birds to within reasonable range and then making a clean kill. I detest "
skybusters". You can shoot what you like but I'll stick by my original statement that 3" loads are not needed and are not as efficient as a 2 3/4" load. That is a ballistic reality. If you want to shoot a load that heavy go to a 10ga. which can handle that much shot. In shotgun shooting sometimes less is more but we Americans just have to have our 3 1/2" cannons to kill a 4lb. duck or 12lb. goose. Don't even get me started about those folks who think they need #4's or 5's to kill a pheasant and this new generation of turkey loads that could bring down a Cessna. Have a nice day:bigbye:
I most heartily agree. Even though I own the gun pictured above with 3" chambers in both barrel sets, I have never fired a 3" shell in either. I am closer to 50 years of ducking and goosing at age 63 and could count on one hand the boxes of 3 inch shells I have fired. For most of that time I never had a gun capable of firing 3 inch shells. I like my 28 ga repro over decoys with #5 or #6 bismuth. When that runs out I will use nice shot. I load that for use in the 16 and 12 bores.
and just for fun... here is a 16 bore non-Parker I own with results of 1 oz of #5 nice shot.
No offense meant to those preferring the bigger stuff. It is indeed a country of choices.

Bill Murphy
08-29-2012, 10:15 AM
I will continue to use my 1 3/4 ounce ten gauge steel loads as long as they last for general waterfowling. I own a trainload of the stuff and it cost me about five bucks a box. Of course, I don't shoot it in original Parkers, but the price and effectiveness is my criteria. When I can't handle the ten in the field, (like recently), I will go to expensive no tox 2 3/4" loads and shoot the Parkers.

Steve Kleist
08-31-2012, 03:00 PM
I've been under the impression that most, if not all, 20-ga. 28" Repros have 3" chambers and that most (but not all) 12-ga. 28" Repros have 3" chambers. And that most, if not all, 12 and 20-ga. 26" Repros have 2 3/4" chambers.

EDIT: Per the linked attached chart the SCC and SSS models were the only 12-ga. 28" guns with standard 3" chambers from the factory. The .410, 26" and 20-ga. 28" guns were standard fare with factory 3" chambers.

Perhaps my gun is an exception. It is a 12ga. Parker Repro DHE (not SSS nor SCC) with stamped 2 3/4" or 3" chambers. I have seen one other of that configuration......My mission in life is to wear my gun out.
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

E Robert Fabian
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Bill what is your ten choked that you shoot the steel loads? I have a Beretta Silver Pigeon and I think it's choked F and F.

Kenny Graft
09-01-2012, 08:12 AM
I would think with steel shot 3" shells would be good...they would hold more bullets of a bigger size shot needed when shooting steel insted of lead type pellets. They said to drop one or two shot sizes when shooting steel....the 3 incher would hold more of the bigger pellets. SXS ohio...(-:

Joe Bernfeld
09-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Perhaps my gun is an exception. It is a 12ga. Parker Repro DHE (not SSS nor SCC) with stamped 2 3/4" or 3" chambers. I have seen one other of that configuration......My mission in life is to wear my gun out.
Steve Kleist Ely, MN

No exception. As I said earlier in this thread, I have one too: 12 ga, 28", 3" chambers, IC/MOD. I never have, nor do I ever plan to, shoot 3" shells in it.

Greg Baehman
09-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Joe, I think the key word in my post that Steve quoted is the word standard. Perhaps yours and other 3" non---SSS or SCC guns were an optional chambering. (??)

Tony Guccioni
09-04-2012, 05:29 PM

This post reminds me that the skeet chokes that came with my SCC gun are /should be ( I have'nt unpackaged them ) Skeet 1 and Skeet 2.

As the universal ( American ) Skeet constriction is 0.005 ", what should I expect these 2 chokes to measure ?

Greg Baehman
09-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Tony, my SCC came to me with 6 original Winchoke screw-in chokes 2-SK (.003), 1-IC (.009), 1-M (.016), 1-IM (.019) and 1-F (.029). I bought two more Winchoke choke tubes for the gun, a CYL (.000) and an XF (.039). I never knew of a SK2 as being available, but I'm beginning to believe that with Parker Reproductions, just as with the original Parker Bros. guns, you can never say never.

charlie cleveland
09-04-2012, 07:50 PM
side by side some body has informed you wrong on the steel shot..when using steel shot they recommend using 2 to 3 sizes bigger in the steel shot than you do with lead...thus you have less pellets using steel shot..thats why the 3 1/2 inch 12 ga came about to hold more steel shot...1 3/4 ounce of steel is about all you can pack in a 3 1/2 inch 12 ga shell..and you can easily load 2 1/4 ounce of lead and more if you can stand the kick... charlie

Charles Shelton
09-28-2012, 10:57 PM
My 12 ga Steel Shot Special does have 3 inch chambers and it is marked
2 3/4 & 3 inch. As I understand, there were less than 300 of these SSS made.

Though it has chrome lined barrels, I will not insult the birds with steel shot and have shot only 3 inch Bismuth in for ducks, geese, and sandhill crane.

Steve McCarty
11-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Why? A 2 3/4" load will kill any waterfowl I've ever hunted. A 3" load will kill at both ends.

My thought too. There are lots of steel, Hevi-shot loads in 2 3/4 and I doubt that you'd notice any diff from the shorter to the 3" model when it comes to killing.