PDA

View Full Version : For your viewing pleasue

Dave Miles
08-25-2012, 03:41 PM
These are 2"- 16 gauge, paper hull, fiber wad, 3/4 oz lead shot, roll crimped loads. Oh, and low pressure to go along with it.

Jeff Christie
08-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Nice looking load. Obviously a great deal of care has been taken in their production. The question is how do they pattern and are they effective on birds?

Dave Miles
08-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Nice looking load. Obviously a great deal of care has been taken in their production. The question is how do they pattern and are they effective on birds?

Jeff,
Personally I've never patterned the load.
However, the gentleman that I'm loading 2000 of these shells for really likes them.

Paul Harm
08-25-2012, 05:54 PM
nice

charlie cleveland
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
what tool do you use to roll crimp these loads..very nice shells indeed... charlie

Dave Miles
08-25-2012, 08:20 PM
what tool do you use to roll crimp these loads..very nice shells indeed... charlie

Charlie, I use an old Lyman roll crimp tool, in a small drill press.

charlie cleveland
08-25-2012, 09:51 PM
thanks those are really nice roll crimps..work of a pro in my eyes... charlie

Paul Harm
08-26-2012, 10:26 AM
I've been told the tool from Precision is better than the one from Ballistic. I have the one from BP's - never tried the other. From the picture in Precisions catalog it looks like there's two pins used for the roll - mine has one. BP offers one with two at a higher price and I think it's in 12ga only.

Dave Miles
08-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Paul,
The old Lyman tools have 6 raised ares, as seen in the left picture.
Sorry, new camera and haven't figured out the Macro yet.

Rich Anderson
08-26-2012, 09:15 PM
Those look alot like the ones I got from Brian Erickson of New Era. They are basically a 28ga load in a 16ga. I have a few left that I'm hoarding but now that I know Dave's loading them up again:whistle: They work well on the Grouse and Woodcock that I've used them on. All I have are #8 shot so no Pheasants:banghead:, but loaded with 6's or 7 1/2's they would work fine.

Dave are you in the ammo business now? I bet these are for a gentalman with a English gun chambered for 2 inch shells.

Dean Romig
08-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Dave Miles is a master reloader as is plainly visible in his pictures. I've used a bunch of his shells and they have absolutely no faults!
Nice work Dave :cheers:

Dave Miles
08-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Those look alot like the ones I got from Brian Erickson of New Era. They are basically a 28ga load in a 16ga. I have a few left that I'm hoarding but now that I know Dave's loading them up again:whistle: They work well on the Grouse and Woodcock that I've used them on. All I have are #8 shot so no Pheasants:banghead:, but loaded with 6's or 7 1/2's they would work fine.

Dave are you in the ammo business now? I bet these are for a gentalman with a English gun chambered for 2 inch shells.

Rich,
As you know, Brian sold New Era Ammo.
But promised the gentleman with the English gun he'd load him some shells.
Since these are done at my house, I'm working on them for Brian.
I'm loading #7 shot and #6 shot for him.
I'll let you know if there's any components left, when I'm done with these.
I understand the paper hulls are next to impossible to get.

Rich Anderson
08-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Arn't they the same paper hulls you used for the 2 1/2 inch shells you loaded just cut down?

I love those little beauties and if there are componets left I'll take some for Grouse and Woodcock.

John Farrell
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
The BPI roll crimper only has one fold over bump. The PR roll crimper has 3. It makes superior crimps because of the triple bumps. Last I looked at PR they had a sale on rc tools for $20.99. One can only assume that it is their 3 fold over bump tool.

John Farrell
08-28-2012, 11:38 AM
The cut and paste did not pickup a strikethrough of the $25.99 price. These roll crimpers have 4 fold starter bumps, not 3 as I previously stated.

The sale price is for all gauges, not just the two shown. The sale price is good until the end of August.

Email: Sales@precisionreloading.com

Precision Reloading's 12 Ga. Roll Crimper
Code: MMRC12
Price: $25.99 $20.99

Precision Reloading's 16 Ga. Roll Crimper
Code: MMRC16
Price: $25.99 $20.99

Dave Miles
08-28-2012, 06:53 PM
Arn't they the same paper hulls you used for the 2 1/2 inch shells you loaded just cut down?

I love those little beauties and if there are componets left I'll take some for Grouse and Woodcock.

Yes Rich, same paper hulls.
Problem is, no one sells the paper hulls anymore.
Maybe Graff's or BP will get a shipment in next spring, but none available now.
I don't even know if Brian has enough to fill this order.
I didn't count them, but it doesn't look like it.

Paul Harm
08-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks John - I have a metal 10ga but my 12ga tool is plastic. Even though the 10 will work on 12s I"ve been wanting a 12ga metal roll crimper and now I'll be getting one.

Destry L. Hoffard
09-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Dave! Glad to see you're still at it. We've taken your name in vain a few times wondering where you'd been.

Destry

John Farrell
09-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Dave - I have a lot of 16 gauge Fed paper hulls in my loading shop. They need to be rewaxed. The photo shows what they look like before rewaxing and after. My process is a little long. As you know, I have plenty of time to fool around with these time wasters. My method is to heat and wax the hulls in one step, oven bake them at around 170F open end down to drain off the excess wax. Then trim them back to 2 5/8", run them through a full length resizer-decapper and they are ready to go.

These hulls are roll crimped for my VH 0 frame.

Einstein said, "Creativity is the residue of wasted time".

Richard Flanders
09-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Nice Dave!!