PDA

View Full Version : sneakbox

scott kittredge
08-19-2012, 08:59 AM
here is a few pics of my new to me sneakbox, just have to grass it now than start hunting

Dave Suponski
08-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Real nice Scott! Is that "the boat"? Nice to see it made it to NH....:)

scott kittredge
08-19-2012, 10:25 AM
Real nice Scott! Is that "the boat"? Nice to see it made it to NH....:)

yes it is dave and you any the only one, thanks scott

edgarspencer
08-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Reminds me of the old Barnaget Bay boats from my youth,

Dean Romig
08-19-2012, 09:35 PM
That's one of the strangest sculling oars I've ever seen... :whistle:

Destry L. Hoffard
08-20-2012, 03:12 PM
I like the stool rack all the way around, mine only has it on the back. That's a great boat!

DLH

scott kittredge
08-20-2012, 04:16 PM
That's one of the strangest sculling oars I've ever seen... :whistle:

up here in the north east we call that a mercury. :rotf: scott

charlie cleveland
08-20-2012, 10:11 PM
them mercurys are ok but a ford is better...really nice boat ive a lot to learn about sneak boats and otherthings you fellas are use to..never got to hunt out of a sneak boat or one of those sink boxes..you fellas gona have to tell me a little bit how you use these things in detail when the time comes to use them.... charlie

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
08-21-2012, 10:28 AM
Scott: What is the purpose of the stool rack.Very nice looking hunting rig and great looking dog.Keep your eye out for the mail man in about three days.Thomas

Bob Roberts
08-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Geezer - stool racks are used on sneak boats to allow greater numbers of decoys to be stacked on the curved deck surfaces by preventing them from falling off when transporting them to where the rig will be set out - they are the removable vertical boards you see across the stern and along the sides of the boat. They can also be used to hold up marsh grasses to help create a blind.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
08-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Bob: Thanks,I learn something everyday.I built a sneak boat about 11 years ago and use it on the rivers here.Thanks Thomas

scott kittredge
08-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Scott: What is the purpose of the stool rack.Very nice looking hunting rig and great looking dog.Keep your eye out for the mail man in about three days.Thomas

well there you go, nice pics of the decoy rack, i will keep an eye out thanks scott :shock:

Jeff Christie
12-05-2012, 09:52 AM
That is a great Barnagat Bay sneak boat!!! Who made it and where did it come from? I am always tempted to make one. I own an old wood Chris Craft (1960) and spend countless hours and days in the winter keeping her in great shape. Building a BBSB would be a piece of cake. It would make a long Iowa winter go. I have a set of the 1930's Field & Stream plans with the offsets etc. But then reality takes over- what would I do with it? My waterfowl hunting is field hunting.

Bob Roberts
12-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Jeff,

The photos presented were shot on November 25, 1940 at Barnegat, NJ. The model releases for the duck hunters in the pictures indicate they were residents of Barnegat, NJ. As to who made the boats the best guess would be Perrine’s Bot Works.

“Perrine’s Boat Works started in 1900 and was owned by J.Howard Perrine and his father Samuel Perrine. Before it was Perrine's it was an old school house in Barnegat, New Jersey. At the boat works, they built and improved upon the original Barnegat Bay Sneakbox making it better to use for duck hunting, clamming, and oystering.”

By 1920, Perrine’s made a 15-foot long sneakbox. These sneakboxes were used for inshore sailing. Perrine’s Boat Works made and sold over 3,000 of these sneakboxes in the United States.

If you would like to know more about Perrine boats, visit this link:

http://www.lehsd.k12.nj.us/SummerSeaportProject/Jones/perrine%27s%20Boatworks.htm

Jeff Christie
12-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Bob-

I was writing about the one on the trailer at the top of the thread. My son went to prep school at Tom's Rivre, NJ, very near Barnagat Bay. I have seen originals (Perrines- I think) in museums in that area.

scott kittredge
12-05-2012, 02:46 PM
That is a great Barnagat Bay sneak boat!!! Who made it and where did it come from? I am always tempted to make one. I own an old wood Chris Craft (1960) and spend countless hours and days in the winter keeping her in great shape. Building a BBSB would be a piece of cake. It would make a long Iowa winter go. I have a set of the 1930's Field & Stream plans with the offsets etc. But then reality takes over- what would I do with it? My waterfowl hunting is field hunting.

thanks, that one was made by Frickie in 1996, i think. it was made in NJ. they are fun to hunt out of and birds come in close, 20 ga for the most part, 15 yds shots. will be out with it tomorrow hope there are birds. if so i will post some pics of it all grassed up and dead birds:corn:, scott

Pete Lester
12-06-2012, 06:10 AM

Maybe enjoy the process and pride of building it, then you sell it.

Jeff Christie
12-06-2012, 08:25 AM
Believe me, that has crossed my mind many times.

scott kittredge
12-06-2012, 01:11 PM
thanks, that one was made by Frickie in 1996, i think. it was made in NJ. they are fun to hunt out of and birds come in close, 20 ga for the most part, 15 yds shots. will be out with it tomorrow hope there are birds. if so i will post some pics of it all grassed up and dead birds:corn:, scott

well nothen out of the boat:crying:, so i went home picked up parker dog and my 30 in VHE 20 ga and hit a couple of local rivers for some jump shooting. picked up a couple of green heads. i will try the boat again in the morning.

charlie cleveland
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
nice pictures and what a way to end the day...those 30 inch barels on that 20reaches out and gets them ducks looks like... charlie

scott kittredge
12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
went out again with my sneakbox and shot one black duck, could have shot more but the limit is one aday:crying: here are a few pics, scott

Don Ay
12-07-2012, 02:32 PM
Scott that looks like a sweet little spot to gun,is the marsh there tidal?
my son in law guns with a Fricke box also,and I have a Perrine sailing gunning rig built by John Chadwick(his uncle took over the Perrine business and John later took it from him)
we dont use the outboards thu,we row or tow them with a garvey depending on where were going to hunt. A 2 mi. row is a good work out at O'dark thirty but fun
great pics thanks

scott kittredge
12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
hi, yes tide water, you get about 4 hours of hunt time at that spot depending on the tide. could you post pics of your boats? love to see them. and the guns and loads you use,:corn: i have been shooting my EH , but i find my 20 ga is good at the shots i get. scott